uniqs
curro
join:2003-10-24
Seabrook, TX

curro to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: [Speed] May have to switch to Comcast

Netfixer,

I have the Performance tier (12/2) and a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and on the average I get around 24 megs down and 3 megs up. I would think that your speeds are more of an exception than the rule for the ones having Performance tier. Do you agree?
said by NetFixer:

said by Melissa2009B:

Well is the article true, or outdated?

Did you notice the 2008 dates in that article?

Here is a speed test result I just did (I have a 12/2 mbps plan with Comcast):

[att=1]

As for caps and throttling for residential customers, see this currently active thread in this forum: »[BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

Also since you mentioned the word SOHO in your original post, you may want to consider getting Comcast Business Class service instead of residential service. A business class plan includes a free web hosting service (it does have a limited usage cap, but it can be upgraded), and if you get a static IP account, you can host your own web server (I host my own servers, and use the free hosted service as a backup). Other benefits of a business class service are no caps, higher PowerBoost, and generally better/faster response if you call support.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

I had not planned to post again in this thread, but since you explicitly directed your post to me...
said by curro:

Netfixer,

I have the Performance tier (12/2) and a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and on the average I get around 24 megs down and 3 megs up. I would think that your speeds are more of an exception than the rule for the ones having Performance tier. Do you agree?

For the residential class tiers, you would be correct, but I have a business class account, and the PowerBoost is implemented differently for business class accounts. And for the context of this thread, the OP runs a home based business, and I was trying to show one of the benefits of getting business class service.

Shown below is the part of that same post that you did not seem to see (or at least ignored):
said by NetFixer:

Also since you mentioned the word SOHO in your original post, you may want to consider getting Comcast Business Class service instead of residential service. A business class plan includes a free web hosting service (it does have a limited usage cap, but it can be upgraded), and if you get a static IP account, you can host your own web server (I host my own servers, and use the free hosted service as a backup). Other benefits of a business class service are no caps, higher PowerBoost, and generally better/faster response if you call support.

Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

»www.arcamax.com/thefunni ··· -1151590

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

FWIW, I have never been put on hold when calling the business class support number (hint there is a special support number for business class customers, and also better trained CSRs). But then you have already been told that, and you decided that you preferred to be a residential customer.

Karma can be a bitch.
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Yeah, because I am. Why would I pay more, when we have a tiny part time home business and are barely paying the bills. You sound so elitist. Should I have to pay double, not to have to wait on hold for 20 minutes? COME ON.

Thinking of this, you know who has really good service? HostGator. When I was using Wordpress and needed them as a host, I was paying less than $5 a month, and if I needed support, they were THERE! Amazing!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

Yeah, because I am.

Just remember, you said that, not me.
said by Melissa2009B:

Why would I pay more, when we have a tiny part time home business and are barely paying the bills. You sound so elitist. Should I have to pay double, not to have to wait on hold for 20 minutes? COME ON.

The price for business class 12/2 service is not double the price for residential class 12/2 service (and I seem to recall that you chose the 12/2 plan). In my area (and I suspect in most areas), residential Performance service is $48.95 per month (and that is only if you are already a Comcast TV or Digital Voice customer), and Business Class Starter service is $59.95 per month (and it does not require that you have Comcast TV or Digital Voice service for that price). You might find a special temporary time period discount for residential service, but I tend to ignore such temporary discounts and look at the long view.

In the end, even if business class service were double the price, it is up to you to decide what your time is worth (and how irritated you will be with less than business class customer service).
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Thanks NetFixer for the further clarification. Right now at $36/month my 12/2 Comcast HSI is reliable and fairly stable (knock on wood) so no need to change.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by Melissa2009B:

Why would I pay more, when we have a tiny part time home business and are barely paying the bills. You sound so elitist. Should I have to pay double, not to have to wait on hold for 20 minutes? COME ON.

The price for business class 12/2 service is not double the price for residential class 12/2 service (and I seem to recall that you chose the 12/2 plan). In my area (and I suspect in most areas), residential Performance service is $48.95 per month (and that is only if you are already a Comcast TV or Digital Voice customer), and Business Class Starter service is $59.95 per month (and it does not require that you have Comcast TV or Digital Voice service for that price). You might find a special temporary time period discount for residential service, but I tend to ignore such temporary discounts and look at the long view.

In the end, even if business class service were double the price, it is up to you to decide what your time is worth (and how irritated you will be with less than business class customer service).

+1

to the OP:

I justified getting Biz class since I don't have cable or satellite tv. So in place of not having those, I needed uptime for internet so I can stream and made sure kids can do whatever they want online. Not to mention the price difference was only $5 to $10. Well worth my time and hassle than waiting and pulling my hair over it....

With your resi connection and your streaming habits, you need to watch your usage as you may go over it.
said by Melissa2009B:

I just tried chat with tech support. Some moron spouted a few platitudes about how it was nice to be chatting with me today, then no response at all, to my issue. I had to close the window and rate them the worst. Then I tried calling for support and they said the hold time will be 18 minutes. This is abysmal!

and I don't have hold times longer than 2 to 5 mins, get notified when it's down and have 4 hours window to get me back up in case of downtime, while the rest of my neighbors wait for 1 to 2 days.
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro

said by curro:

Thanks NetFixer for the further clarification. Right now at $36/month my 12/2 Comcast HSI is reliable and fairly stable (knock on wood) so no need to change.

Checking this site shows a price of $60/month for the lowest speed tier ('Starter' 12Mbps/2Mbps):

»business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by curro:

said by curro:

Checking this site shows a price of $60/month for the lowest speed tier ('Starter' 12Mbps/2Mbps):

»business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans

just like he said above....
said by NetFixer:

Business Class Starter service is $59.95 per month (and it does not require that you have Comcast TV or Digital Voice service for that price).

so what was your question?

that has been the standard price for biz class anyway...

it's the perks of not having caps, 4 hour repair window, short hold time, knowledgeable techs and all justifies that price.
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro

If you are using the Comcast Business HSI to generate some kind of profits then the $60/month is all justifiable in my view. On the other hand for just residential/private use then I take my $36/month (12/2 tier but in reality 24/3 for me) without any problem or hesitation.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by curro:

If you are using the Comcast Business HSI to generate some kind of profits then the $60/month is all justifiable in my view. On the other hand for just residential/private use then I take my $36/month (12/2 tier but in reality 24/3 for me) without any problem or hesitation.

in the Memphis market....

resi performance 20/4 is priced at 59.95

resi performance starter 6/1 is at 49.95

biz class performance starter 12/2 is at 59.95

since I cut cable / satellite tv, I needed internet uptime. while at it, I thought, I dont want caps since I've seen my usage near or at the 250gb limit, and I said, priority or better tech support would be nice.

so I went with biz class 12/2. for me, it justified the price. if I could find a way to profit off of it, that would be like icing in the cake.

for the bandwidth that our household uses, the 12/2 biz class fit perfectly not too mention I don't need to think about going over caps totally.
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro

asjamias you make good points based on what Comcast HSI prices are in your area. I will count my blessings for the cost of $36/month I am getting for my Performance tier speed!

Just curious, how many static IPs can you set up with the biz class performance starter?
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer

said by curro:

Just curious, how many static IPs can you set up with the biz class performance starter?

»business.comcast.com/smb ··· paddress

I myself didn't have a need for them. What I do have is what others call here as sticky dynamic...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to curro

Premium Member

to curro
said by curro:

To my knowledge, the largest available block for all of their HFC based SMB business class services is a /28 (13 fully usable IPv4 addresses).
»business.comcast.com/smb ··· paddress

For more than that, you would have to get their metro ethernet or enterprise class services (and there are no $60 per month plans in those choices).

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to curro

Premium Member

to curro
And soon, under IPv6 you'll get AT LEAST a /64 -- which is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPs, which should keep you busy for a while.
curro
Seabrook, TX

curro to medbuyer

to medbuyer
Thanks for the answers everyone regarding number of IPs.