Hardcore
The Sausage King
Premium Member
join:2002-08-23
Albany, GA

Hardcore

Premium Member

[GA] Slow speeds at night?

Is it finally possible? I'm losing signal so bad at night that my modem resets. I've already had one tech out who replaced a part outside my house, and a modem replaced as well, but as I type this, my downloads are sub-1MB, everything has a hard time loading...

...am I finally on an overloaded node? I live in a rather rural area, but I know there are a ton of kids around here now. Can I get some help, please?

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow

Which modem do you have and what are the signal levels?

Send MediacomChad a PM -- he might see something and he can help set up a tech visit if it looks like it would help.
Hardcore
The Sausage King
Premium Member
Albany, GA

Hardcore

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is my modem and current signal.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

IM your account information and I would be more than happy to help.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to Hardcore

Premium Member

to Hardcore
said by Hardcore:

This is my modem and current signal.

Make sure your frequency is not set to AUTO. Pick something else like channel 5. This is not related to your signal btw but we did notice some intermittent issues with wireless connection when set to AUTO which is the default setting.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 recommendation

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thank you for the info!
Hardcore
The Sausage King
Premium Member
Albany, GA

Hardcore

Premium Member

I also changed my WiFi over to channel 5.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

You should only use WiFi channels 1, 6, and 11, the others overlap which means interference. If you're on 5 and close by networks are on 6 they'll interfere with eachother and give very poor preformance.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Odd thing to say. Maybe use something like wifi analyzer first? At my place I have 4 networks on ch 1. Ch 5 works best for me btw.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
Is that why every one of the networks that is near me is always with one of those channel numbers?

But what if you have like a dozen networks all on the same channel, say channel 1?

How does that not mess up each network's range and throughput?

I use channel 8 for my router, which is not used by any other router I have ever come across.

I thought you are supposed to pick the least used channel?
jpatton
join:2010-04-07
Madison, WI

jpatton

The bandwidth (in terms of spectrum, not speed) for each channel is large enough to bleed into other channels' bands. I would suggest downloading a wifi spectrum analyzer (like Anonymous88 See Profile suggested) to get a visual idea of how things look in your building/neighborhood. You want to choose the channel that overlaps least with the other channels being used in your area. Channel 8 may be unused, but you may still be (and probably are in the long run) better off using channel 1, 6, or 11. Often, a wifi analyzer program can suggest the best channel to use.

In a perfect world where you control all WAPs, you would want to use exclusively channels 1, 6, and 11 when creating a broad wireless network because they (in general) provide a decent number of channels to choose from while minimizing overlap.
Hardcore
The Sausage King
Premium Member
Albany, GA

Hardcore

Premium Member

No matter what, the problem persists. I'm going to wait out this tech visit tomorrow morning and see if we get anywhere.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Let me know how that trouble call goes.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

OldCableGuy to Anonymous88

Anon

to Anonymous88
@Anonymous

It's not odd at all, if you use channel 5 and your neighbors use 1 and 6 which is VERY common then your network will be degraded as will theirs. Suggesting the average home consumer use a Wifi spectrum analyzer is about as likely as suggesting everyone give themselves a prostate exam; ain't gonna happen.