how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Simple Guy

join:2012-05-16

1 edit

[Snow] Video brightness and controls for DVD

I have both a Mac and PC. I got the Mac a year or two ago after a liftetime of PC use. I gradually switched over to the Mac.

One problem with the Mac is that when I play a DVD with the OS X DVD player that is part of the system the picture is a couple of shades too dark. If the video is in the daylight or in an a room with good lighting the pictures is...OK. However, if the scene is night or low light indoors or in a darken cavern it is too dark and you literally cannot see adequately even though the scene is supposed to be low light but not as low as played on the DVD. You for instance can't tell what is happening in actions scenes and cannot distinguish faces to know who is who. There are no video quality or adjustments that I can find to lighten or adjust contrast.

Consequently, I just play the DVD on my PC and the default video is fine without the problems on the Mac, plus there are built in video controls that allows me to adjust brightness and other settings to make it even better including brighter yet.

The same problem to a lesser extent with Netflix.

Other than the DVD and Netflix the monitor or monitor content no matter what is displayed or what source it comes from is perfect.

I don't want to play with settings on my monitor. Besides with Netlfix the monitor settings has no effect on the picture. Not sure with the DVD. But let just forget about the monitor.

Any suggestion or downloads for a DVD specificially and to a lesser or separate degree Netflix that would allow me to adjust the video quality but especially the brightness and contrast for the OS X Mac?

Thank you.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

You should calibrate the monitor. You can do it in the Display preference pane.

Simple Guy

said by HiVolt:

You should calibrate the monitor. You can do it in the Display preference pane.

said by Simple Guy:

I don't want to play with settings on my monitor. Besides with Netlfix the monitor settings has no effect on the picture. Not sure with the DVD. But let just forget about the monitor.

Any suggestion or downloads for a DVD specificially and to a lesser or separate degree Netflix that would allow me to adjust the video quality but especially the brightness and contrast for the OS X Mac?

Thank you.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

You're asking for some help, however, you are also limiting what help you'll take. HiVolt is very knowledgable, and calibrating the monitor may help.

You would need to click on the Apple on the top left, then System Preferences, then on Displays, choose the Color Tab, then Calibrate. I would suggest that you try it, for it cannot hurt and may solve your problem.

Remember, you are watching DVD's and Netflix via the settings of your monitor.
--
Obama in 2012 - There's No Tea Left In The Bag.

Simple Guy

HiVolt is a good person. A knowledgable person. A helpful and friendly person as are you.

As I said up front forget about the monitor. I did not say that just to difficult. I would not have said that if I needed or wanted help with the monitor. I don't. That's why I it clear in the OP. I'm not saying it or what follows to be arrogant but to be specific on what I want and need and to eliminated responses that would be irrelevant and about something I was not seeking.

There is a specific valid relevant applicable reason I said forget about the monitor. I'm saying it again. I'm not trying to be rude. But the responses in light of my OP require me to more direct and candid. If you knew what I knew about my specific situation, which no one does than you would understand. But since you don't that is why I spelled out with the forget about the monitor up front right away.

Someone either can or cannot answer my question and or request or they cannot or will not.

On my Windows 7 I can adjust the picture the way I want with the built in controls in Window Media Player. With my situation in the Mac I cannot. That's a fact.

So anyone able to answer my question? If not my bad luck and I appreciate everyone and anyone's thoughts or attempts to do so.

I understand that not every question has an answer and not every problem has a solution.

Thanks!

Hotch

join:2012-06-12

I once had the same problem. Everything on my display was perfect except when I played a DVD movie. The picture like your experience was too dark. I tried calibrating my display/"monitor" and that made things worse.

The good news though is that there are controls for your OS X DVD player that you can adjust to solve your problem. It sounds like you may have been like me in not being aware of or finding the DVD adjustment controls.

With the DVD player engaged and the DVD movie on screen, make sure you are in the small screen mode not the full screen. To get from full screen to where you need to be hit the escape button and picture goes to the small screen.

Then at the top of your screen with DVD player shown click on the "Window" option. A drop down menu will appear that includes an option for selection called "color." Click on that. You will then be shown controls to adjust your color, brightness, tint and contrast for the DVD player. Just slide the brightness control to the right, brighter, or left for less bright, to where you are happy with your picture.

I don't have Netflix so I don't know what options you have for that.

Good luck, but you should find that the above will easily solve your problem.