All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jasonkradiog
@cableone.net

jasonkradiog

Anon

The digital divide in the US continues to grow...

I love living in northern Mississippi but ugh. I sure wish I had an Internet provider like this:

»www.pcworld.com/business ··· bps.html

"The most eye-catching will be the top plan, with 300Mbps (bits per second) downstream and 65Mbps upstream."

Oh and caps?? NONE!

Even more stuff to make you groan...

"However, even the faster FiOS won't bring the U.S. to the forefront of global broadband. A survey of fiber service providers released last September by the Organization for Economic Development (OECD) showed operators offering 1Gbps speeds in Slovenia, Japan, Turkey and Sweden, and one in Norway advertising 400Mbps service.

Localized projects in the U.S. also are hitting the 1Gbps mark, or will when they go live. The most closely watched example is Google's fiber buildout in the twin cities of Kansas City, Missouri, and Kansas City, Kansas."

::sigh::

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Mississippi will probably be one of the last places to get something like a fast, decent ISP. I also filled out a request for Google Fiber to build out their services here back when they were still surveying people.

There's still the issue that a lot of places in MS can't even get broadband to begin with (in 2012, yes.) Hell, where I live you can choose between a slow WISP, U-verse, or cable. But 3G/4G still isn't available here. Isn't that bizarre?

Believe me, it irritates me too. I won't ever see anything faster than 10 mbps unless I'm willing to shell out $200 for an installation fee and $75 per month for internet. I'm not taking the U-verse route because I really hate AT&T's business practices and many of their representatives.

mGr
@96.19.209.x

mGr

Anon

Once again.. As with everything else is Miss'ippi. We have to take the best of the worst. I saw a sign the other day that said 4G was available in Starkville (BS! I cry!)
DRNewcomb
join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS

DRNewcomb to jasonkradiog

to jasonkradiog
Living in Long Beach (MS) I have essentially two choices: CableOne and ATT U-verse (DSL was never available on my street.) I currently have 6Mbps U-verse service. When the year's intro ends I'm considering dropping to 3 Mbps to save $5/mo. I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing by not having 1Gbps fiber Internet service. Of course, I recall when Stennis Space Center's best connection to the net was 9600 bps and we'd have to set cron jobs to transfer files at midnight because there was no throughput during the day. So my question is, just how much net does anyone really need?

mGr
join:2012-07-01
Columbus, MS

mGr

5Mbps is definitely not enough in today's world. It's "fast enough" if you're just browsing web, occasional video, casual gaming etc. ( I ping between 60 - 95ms, on most games). When you got multiple users, bandwith heavy apps like netflix etc, then you might suffer some. I wouldn't consider 3Mbps unless that was my only best choice. Since you're on Uverse I would go up to the 12Mbps plan. That's the highest that's available in my area. I might switch to CableOne's 50Mbps plan if the caps weren't so low. I think if you're internet only it's 100GB... Read an article yesterday that talked about ISPs balking over Google's planned "Fiberhoods" in KC. You will be able to get Gbps fiber for $70. Or free..(let that sink in.) 5Mps if you pay a $300 installation fee. Unfortunately we'd never see anything like this in MS, unless you live on campus of MSU or OleMiss.. Maybe Jackson area if you're lucky..
DRNewcomb
join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS

DRNewcomb

Many years ago I took a course titled, "Selecting and managing computer systems". It was all about how to buy the right sized computer for the job you need to do. Many people buy far more computer than they need. The demand for high-end compute power for most people comes from video processing and real-time computer gaming. There are other applications, such as CAD-CAM, GIS, architectural rendering, numerical modeling, etc. but most people don't even know what those are. Similarly, in selecting the right size network connection, you need to know what your actual demand is. If you have a family of 6 and everyone wants to stream a different video, all at once, then yeah, you probably should get a 50 Mbps connection. But if 5 or 6 Mbps meets your needs, what would you possibly gain by paying much more for 12 or 18 or 50 Mbps?

And if Google offered free 5 Mbps in my neighborhood, I'd pay the $300 install fee, even knowing that they'd be watching everything I did and selling the information. (Whomever they sold it to would be very disappointed.)