uniqs
share rss forum feed

Netkeys

join:2000-12-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

T1 and extended area power outages

One of my customers is having static issues when it rains. Being in south Florida it's almost daily during the summer. AT&T wants to install a T1 at no additional cost over there present pots service. The concern is what happens during an extended area wide power outage. POTS still worked when power was out for 2 weeks related to hurricane while cable and dsl where out. What happens with a T1 during this type of power outage? Does it require power between the central office and the client to work? The client runs generators to power the local phone system during extended outages but are worried it they switched to T1 they would lose service during these types of long power outages.

Global Fiber

@deltacom.net
Right you are - you will indeed lose power on a T-1. They are connected to a "smartjack" and everytime you lose power they go offline. Most companies choose to retain a pots line or two as backup to make E911 calls on or whatever, but in power outages they will indeed be down.
As a former BellSouth & AT&T employee and current AT&T contractor, let me know if you want to compare cost structure I can negotiate with AT&T for a POTS migration to IP Flex Reach service - the experience of the switch is often only as good as the AT&T contact conducting the provisioning process - AT&T employees are often too busy trying to make a sale and hit their quota to pay attention through the provisioning process and prevent serious issues with such migrations. There is no charge for my assistance - I am paid by AT&T directly for conducting its business as an independent contractor. Contact me if I can help you - steve@globalfiberanddata.com or cell while I am travelling today at 256-486-1988

techguy2012

join:2012-05-17
Mundelein, IL
reply to Netkeys
I was under the impression that the T1 smart-jack is line powered, as is POTS.

So the question should really be...

Would the T1 come direct from the CO (where you know they'll have batteries and generators to keep everything running)?
Or will your T1 be coming from a ground vault where the batteries will last for awhile, but then you better hope they bring the generator in time?

Also, that the ground vault isn't in a low area that floods, as AT&T likes to do here in IL - I had a customer with POTS and T1s running through the same ground vault, all the POTS worked fine for the 2 weeks the vault was underwater, but the T1 stuff didn't get turned back up until a vault on a trailer was brought in and the vault was pumped out. They basically cross-connected a bunch of stuff in the vault to the trailer, and then back down into the vault.

Cable and DSL, any time you are too far from the CO, also requires a vault or cabinet somewhere in the middle, and the batteries powering that cabinet are usually only good for a few hours.

techguy2012

join:2012-05-17
Mundelein, IL
reply to Global Fiber
said by Global Fiber :

I can negotiate with AT&T for a POTS migration to IP Flex Reach

How is that going to help the OP?

Global Fiber

@deltacom.net
by negotiating better rates for a T-1 service Net Keys may decide to move to, Net Keys can possibly get a better price point to help afford the steep cost differential between DSL and T-1. The decision to choose a T-1 is in his hands and at this point has nothing to do with power outages since he has already been informed there will be no significant difference in power related uptime.
Expand your moderator at work