share rss forum feed

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to the cerberus

Re: Rogers Ultimate HU Speed Upload Update

said by the cerberus:

said by Hooter:

My post above does state that Speedboost applies for the for first 10 MB of a download. Also according to their Website "SpeedBoost technology is available with the Rogers network and is included with your Hi-Speed Internet service at no additional charge." The one tier that it does not appear to be available on is Lite, where an Express Pass is available for 1 day.

»www.rogers.com/web/content/speedboostonsb

Speedboost is FOR SURE NOT the first 10MB although thats what Rogers says it is.
If you download something like ~100MB file on E+ and its going at something very fast, like 5MB/s, the speedboost can last the entire file.
Its more like in the first 20 seconds, if there is available bandwidth then you get it. I'm 99% sure this is how it works.
This is especially true for things like local youtube caches.... I used to use deturl.com and download epicmealtime off youtube at 720p-1080p and it would speedboost the entire file.
But i dont have Rogers anymore....

Officially speedboost is the first 100MB. I read it somewhere on their website.

It would make sense that youtube might appear not affected, but it is. Flash requires much less space than mpeg2/4, thus may appear unaffected by the speedboost but it is in fact.
--
Hello

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by aereolis:

Speedboost is for the first 10MB not the first 100MB.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

said by JCohen:

said by aereolis:

officially it is for the first 10MB.
but technically if you've actually experienced it, there is no way this is true.
Its for ~20 seconds, and sometimes its 5MB/s, sometimes more , sometimes less, you can work out that if its going 5MB/s and the speedboost is longer than 2 seconds (speedtest takes around 7secs and still reports a faster speed) that its almost always much more than 10MBs!!!

Anyways speedboost is variable speed, and is by TIME not DATA, therefore, it cant simply be the first 10MB....

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

said by the cerberus:

said by JCohen:

said by aereolis:

officially it is for the first 10MB.
but technically if you've actually experienced it, there is no way this is true.
Its for ~20 seconds, and sometimes its 5MB/s, sometimes more , sometimes less, you can work out that if its going 5MB/s and the speedboost is longer than 2 seconds (speedtest takes around 7secs and still reports a faster speed) that its almost always much more than 10MBs!!!

Anyways speedboost is variable speed, and is by TIME not DATA, therefore, it cant simply be the first 10MB....

So be it, it says 10. Maybe i remembered reading 10, and tried comparing it to a download and saw it last a lot longer than 10, close to 100 and that stuck in my mind.... either way, 10MB must be wrong.
--
Hello