Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Josof

Premium Member

to Josof

Re: [MoP] PvP in MoP

said by Josof:

I personally dont like the arena changes. Knowing the class/spec of your opponent before you even start the match is a bad move imo.

I can't believe I'm gonna comment on this...

I think the purpose is two fold.
1. It is intended to showcase the new approach to Talent allocation. They want PvE and PvP to embrace the "change the talents on the fly" model they are so very proud of.
2. It is an attempt to smooth out the learning curve. Currently, if you aren't a pvp aficionado, the fight is over with before you realize what you could have done to start a fight against the opposing comp. The better players won't need the "heads up", they have their fast-twitch reactions well in place. Those still learning compositions and strats will find the extra time helpful, and hopefully allow for better fights, even in the lower brackets.

I feel dirty now...

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU

Wow, Immer posted something other than "PvP is a waste for me and I hate PvP'ers mentalities" in a PvP thread.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

looks out window...... nope hell hasnt frozen over, we are safe.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

...let's not make too big a deal of this... carry on!

quatra
Premium Member
join:2003-06-22
Matthews, NC

quatra to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer

1. It is intended to showcase the new approach to Talent allocation. They want PvE and PvP to embrace the "change the talents on the fly" model they are so very proud of.

Aww crap so arena is going to be freaking expensive I missed the on the fly talent change that only costs "a few gold" that's a few gold per arena match potentially!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I was under the impression the MoP system was not going to be as expensive as the current glyph system. That it would be reagent free. Can anyone confirm/deny?
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

it costs tomes now, that are like pretty expensive compared to dusts of disappearance, but is much cheaper than the current system from the trainer, i think they are 15g from the vendor cant remember off hand will check tonight
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof to Immer

to Immer
said by Immer:

said by Josof:

I personally dont like the arena changes. Knowing the class/spec of your opponent before you even start the match is a bad move imo.

I can't believe I'm gonna comment on this...

I think the purpose is two fold.
2. It is an attempt to smooth out the learning curve. Currently, if you aren't a pvp aficionado, the fight is over with before you realize what you could have done to start a fight against the opposing comp. The better players won't need the "heads up", they have their fast-twitch reactions well in place. Those still learning compositions and strats will find the extra time helpful, and hopefully allow for better fights, even in the lower brackets.

I feel dirty now...

maybe, if they allowed you to see the comp/class/spec up to a certain MMR....2000? then after you have reached that threshold it goes back to just the waiting for the gates to open.

for me personally, its fun walking out there with the anticipation of not knowing what comp youre up against.

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU

So you like trying to develop a strategy without knowing what tactics to use?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Josof

Premium Member

to Josof
they are clearly operating under the assumption that while you didn't know their class before, you now have to contend with their ability to pick and choose their talents (where as now, if you know the class, you know the cookie-cutter pvp spec and the abilities you are likely to face if they are any good). I think in the higher MMR brackets, you'll find this to be even more daunting than simply needing to know what classes you face.

I just did it again... I must be bored... or sleep deprived.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof to bTU

to bTU
said by bTU:

So you like trying to develop a strategy without knowing what tactics to use?

haha, strategy and tactics can be developed on the fly. and IRL due to unforseen circumstances this is what usually happens.
Josof

Josof to Immer

to Immer
said by Immer:

they are clearly operating under the assumption that while you didn't know their class before, you now have to contend with their ability to pick and choose their talents (where as now, if you know the class, you know the cookie-cutter pvp spec and the abilities you are likely to face if they are any good). I think in the higher MMR brackets, you'll find this to be even more daunting than simply needing to know what classes you face.

I just did it again... I must be bored... or sleep deprived.

I could see that, not knowing which one of the opponents has a group, single target stun/root or what type of interrupt they have.

MOP-the xpac where Immer embraces PvP!!!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Josof:

MOP-the xpac where Immer embraces PvP!!!

hehe... unlikely. It has been asserted that the only reason I dislike PvP was because I lacked understanding....
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

let go of your hatred and your journey toward the dark side shall be complete.

quatra
Premium Member
Matthews, NC

quatra to Josof

Premium Member

to Josof
I like seeing my opponents before the gates open. My concern is that you will have to respec/glyph frequently and that it will cost money. I also bet you'll find people start waiting until the last second to change spec - hopefully they restrict that so you're locked in for the last 15 secs or so and make respec/glyph free inside the starting area.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by quatra:

you will have to respec/glyph frequently and that it will cost money.

this is a design goal, to have the ability to. That doesn't mean you'll "have to". Both sides will only be guessing at which talents/abilities the other actually have. Remember, you won't be seeing (Ret Paladin 2/7/32)...

quatra
Premium Member
Matthews, NC

quatra

Premium Member

You also don't have to enchant/gem your gear but anyone serious about progression will do it.