spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Huracan

@comcast.net

1 edit

[IPv6] Why does my modem not indicate IPv6?

Click for full size
SB6120
I would like to add that the OS is Mac OS 10.7.4, using Safari web browser which gives preference to IPv6 over IPv4.

Furthermore, the cable modem is Motorola SB6120 retail. However, the modem doesn't indicate any support of IPv6. I wonder why.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Huracan :

Furthermore, the cable modem is Motorola SB6120 retail. However, the modem doesn't indicate any support of IPv6. I wonder why.

That page only shows DOCSIS side of the modem and not the CPE side. PM me your MAC address of the cable modem and I can tell you if the CMTS your on supports v6 or not on the CPE side.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to Huracan

Huracan, NetDog is here as an authorized national level rep from Comcast, so it's fine to privately give him your contact info.

However, he either needs to give you an email address or you need to register here. A regular account on this site is free and it would also give you access to the Comcast Direct Forum.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

GmDude66

join:2007-09-09
York, PA

Quick question: so will the information on the modem page EVER show a different IP mode/ MDD IP mode?

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:61

1 recommendation

said by GmDude66:

Quick question: so will the information on the modem page EVER show a different IP mode/ MDD IP mode?

At some point yes. But alot of modems need fw upgrades and testing before they will be assigned an IPV6 address for management.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

The good part of that is that they don't need IPv6 Management to do IPv6 participation.

I am anxiously awaiting the addition of cisco CMTS to the IPv6 rollout!
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:61

1 recommendation

said by ctgreybeard:

The good part of that is that they don't need IPv6 Management to do IPv6 participation.

Correct. The modem doesn't need to have an IPV6 management address for the end user to pull an IPV6 address/prefix.

Huracan

join:2012-06-06

1 recommendation

reply to Huracan

Hi,

I do currently have IPv6 in the CPE side. I was just curious about the SB6120 modem pages not showing anything about IPv6 support.

Thanks for the explanation that this particular page refers to the CMTS side, not the CPE side.

jjmb

join:2009-12-01
USA
reply to Huracan

OSX and Safari may prefer IPv6. In some cases OSX and Safarai will continue to prefer IPv4 over IPv6, so be aware.

The indicator above for MDD IP mode override has no impact on LAN side support for IPv6. It refers to another part of DOCSIS and IPv6 specifically for device management.

You should verify that your router supports IPv6 as well.

jjmb

USA
reply to GmDude66

said by GmDude66:

Yes this will change over time based on our deployment. However, as I stated earlier this is specific to device management and is not related to LAN side IPv6 support.

jjmb

USA
reply to netcool

said by netcool:

said by ctgreybeard:

Correct. The modem doesn't need to have an IPV6 management address for the end user to pull an IPV6 address/prefix.

This is accurate.