Premium Member

to Aranarth

Re: [DSL] DSL is finally in my area.

This is a good day.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Don't forget this is Amish country. I am NOT in a big city!

This is also in comparison with Wildblue 500kbps 1000+ms ping times.
waytim
join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI

waytim to Aranarth

to Aranarth
Congratulations! Nice to see that you were able to get service. I hope they make good on their word and bring it to my little village by the end of the month as well. Your story has given me hope once more!
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Here are the links stats:

Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 847
Margin (dB) 9.8 7.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 50.0 34.4
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.4 10.8
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 3822 1973
CRC Errors 3201 0

Based on signal quality can this line go any faster?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

I'd say that's the best you're going to get. For the distance you claim the line is, the numbers are patching that and you're not doing too bad at all. Upstream sync is a bit slower than it should be but if the line remains stable and you are not seeing performance hits from it, then leave it be
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Thanks Smith!

Btw if you need any screen shots or item descriptions in the config screens for the netgear 7550 let me know.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Will do. Another DSLReports member made it under my attention that specific revisioons of the Westell 7500 from Frontier had some different features or ways to reach or configure the gear. I currently have a Netgear 7550 connected which someone from DSLReports shipped to me, so I am pretty much set, but it doesn't hurt to see if there is some differences between the revisions of the 7550!
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Where do I find firmware revision and how do I update it to the latest? I've already found that port forwarding is slightly borked.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

said by Aranarth:

Where do I find firmware revision and how do I update it to the latest? I've already found that port forwarding is slightly borked.

They are not available. Smith correct if I am wrong, but I have never seen Frontier make available firmware updates to individuals.
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

said by Hank:

They are not available. Smith correct if I am wrong, but I have never seen Frontier make available firmware updates to individuals.

They really should! If everyone is on the same firmware they will know if the issue is firmware or hardware related.

The issue I have with the predefined forwarding rules should be an easy fix.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Hank

MVM

to Hank
As far as I'm aware they should be able to update the modems and routers themselves through the backdoor present in each and every one of them, at least since the Siemens Gigaset 6520. All FiOS routers have a backdoor.

Frontier has never offered up firmware upgrades from my understanding. Once they test and ship something out, it stays at that firmware revision.
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

said by Smith6612:

All FiOS routers have a backdoor.

Frontier has never offered up firmware upgrades from my understanding. Once they test and ship something out, it stays at that firmware revision.

Does this apply to DSL modems as well?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

I pretty much meant DSL modems there. I've not seen a firmware upgrade come through to any of the modems I've connected before. I'm sure they have the capability to push it out though as during the beginning of the Verizon to Frontier transition, modems started having Frontier-branded firmware installed.

The FiOS routers do get occasional firmware upgrades.
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

hmmm, I wonder if there is a way to extract the file maybe as a .bin file so that people can update their modems manually.

How do I report this bug and get an update. Is there an email address I can use?