Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to Phibian

Premium Member

to Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

Hey guys. Got the P-870M-I v2 today. The good news is I plugged it in and the DSL light turned solid green. It synced! This is on a Stinger remote.

The problem for most people is probably going to be this modem has no routing functionality. I was told the M means it's simply a bridge, 802.11d tansparent bridge. So you have to put a router behind it.

I'm not sure how to look at the line stats. I got the console port hooked up on COM3 but it's not showing anything, ZyXel tech support said there wasn't any documentation on it.

Anyway to get things up and running quick, I set VLAN 35 on my Intel NIC, setup a PPPoE connection in Windows 7 and presto it worked.

Download Speed: 25304 kbps (3163 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3030 kbps (378.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Traceroute: »pastebin.com/raw.php?i=45hnvyrx

The other problem is I'm not getting full upload speed. Not sure what the sync rate is. Maybe the console would tell me if I could figure out a way to get in.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Interesting.... trouble is, how would we set a VLAN on a router's WAN port?

There must be a way to set that in the console. Even though its not a router.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

I know you can do it in OpenWRT, maybe tomato too. Probably not any stock firmwares.
BliZZardX

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Ok I got the console port working. I didn't have my USB to Serial adapter drivers installed lol.

I just used PuTTY terminal with these Serial settings:
Serial line to connect to: COM5 (other peoples might be different)
Speed (buad): 115200
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow control: None

It will initially just output a blank screen. Type 1234 to login and the Ikanos BME menu comes up: »pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ndm3hdjf

The modem is saying it synced at 8 meg upload, not sure why I'm only getting 3 or 4. Maybe something is messed up with Windows.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hah. cool. Funny how the console commands are the same are as in the Sagemcom (Ikanos based as well).

Weird about the upstream... If it's syncing properly, its weird...

There's gotta be a way to assign a VLAN ID to the ethernet port, so any device can initiate a normal PPPoE session...
paulwye
join:2007-02-17
Toronto, ON

paulwye

said by HiVolt:

There's gotta be a way to assign a VLAN ID to the ethernet port, so any device can initiate a normal PPPoE session...

It would certainly be nice, but I don't think it can work that way; as a bridge, its obligation is to pass traffic as it's received on the DSL side of the link, right? (I'm asking--someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.) I'm having a problem right now with a New Brunswick Aliant customer, where the FibreOP ONT won't talk to any device connected to the Ethernet port unless it's set for the same VLAN (35). Finding consumer hardware that will do this is a little tricky; my thinking up to this point has been that the best way to solve the problem would be to use a managed switch to take the tagged packets on one port and allow them to exit untagged on a second port. That way, you'd be able to connect any device you please. Whether this would work in this circumstance, I'm not sure.

I'd really like to place my order for 25/10, but I'm sitting on the fence until there is a resolution to this whole modem debacle before I give up my (extremely stable) legacy DSL.
paulwye

paulwye to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX
Sorry, I've been all over this thread, but I can't seem to find the post where you specified your source for this thing. I ask because I'm on an Ikanos remote, so if I'm sent a Cellpipe (likely) and it's unstable (likely), I'd like to know that there's a workaround, even if it's an expensive one.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to paulwye

Premium Member

to paulwye
said by paulwye:

said by HiVolt:

It would certainly be nice, but I don't think it can work that way; as a bridge, its obligation is to pass traffic as it's received on the DSL side of the link, right?

Even traditional ADSL/ADSL2+ bridge only modems need this, except its not VLAN, but VPI/VCI, basically a path that is used to traverse thru the ATM equipment.

True dumb modems that don't have an interface have always had the most common VPI/VCI preset in their firmware, such as 0/35, 8/38, 0/33, etc... This way you could establish a PPPoE session with any device, be it software on the computer or an external router.

I remember Bell used such modems early in their DSL services, the SpeedStream 5260/5360. They had no web interface whatsoever, but the VPI/VCI were preset.
HiVolt

HiVolt

Premium Member

3) Configure System Provision (default values)
4) Configure Port Provision
21) Modify Port Provision

Maybe one of these?

BliZZardX
Premium Member
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to paulwye

Premium Member

to paulwye
I used californiapc.com with USPS shipping. I got a bad forex rate from my CC so that added another $10, but in total my cost was about $200 CAD.

I'm still trying to figure out why I get half the upload I'm synced at.

A few differences with Bells modem I noticed going over the output
870M 870M-I1 v2 - Line Type: 0x0ff00000
Sagemcom 2864 - Line Type: 0x01000000 VDSL2 Profile 12A

Zyxel 870M-I1 v2 -
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530000
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530000
Sagemcom 2864 -
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530200
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530100

Bell's modem is also running a newer BME, says compiled in 2011 versus 2008 for the Zyxel.

My guess is Zyxel discontinued this model because Ikanos stopped supporting the chipset. But Zyxel never refreshed their lineup with newer Ikanos products, just Broadcom. I will call in tomorrow morning and see if they have anything just in case.

I also left a few voicemails with other vendors like D-Link and Technicolor, no one is returning calls. There just aren't many options it seems.
BliZZardX

BliZZardX to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
option 3 on the BME is to set the profile, there's different band plans there, but I don't think we are supposed to mess with that because the DSLAM autoconfigs it. I tried forcing 17A on Sagemcom (remember this is on an ancient Stinger remote) and it wouldn't stay, reset itself back to 12A.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

ah... how did they expect this modem to work? required a special router with VLAN settings? Pretty stupid....

BliZZardX
Premium Member
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Yeah behind a router. In googling I found stuff like this lol - »www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/vi ··· ?t=88466

"my internet provider requires a VLAN tagged connection on the WAN port. I have set VLAN ID 132 for my connection (VDSL) to work. "
"Atheros dd-wrt units don't support both VLAN types"

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

That's stupid... oh well... I looked in my TomatoUSB Toasman router it doesnt have any VLAN settings. But i didnt get the VLAN capable version. i guess i'd have to experiment with that.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

3 edits

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Click for full size
Confirmed - 1 generation older

P-870M-I1 v2 - FXS50IF1
Sagemcom 2864 - FXS60IF1

FXS50IF1 is part of the FX100100S-5 family and most reference to that are from 2006 or 2007.

News items:
»www.opticalkeyhole.com/e ··· 7&bhcp=1
»vdsl2news.blogspot.ca/20 ··· for.html

Sagemcom works fine as a bridge only, the NAT and router functions still suck. I had Twitter running the other day and it locked me out, too many simultaneous streams or something.
paulwye
join:2007-02-17
Toronto, ON

paulwye

I love how geeks think:

-new modem
-hard to acquire
-expensive
-not necessarily that replaceable
-but working well!

And the second item on the to-do list (after testing it) is: "Hey! I'd better take this thing apart!"

Not a criticism there...when I saw the pic, I was like, "Oh, he took it apart. Well, yeah. Obviously we need to know what's going on in there."

Bravo, and thanks

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to BliZZardX

Premium Member

to BliZZardX
Question is now, how do you find an Ikanos based modem with the newer chipset...

BliZZardX
Premium Member
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

4 edits

BliZZardX

Premium Member

I think the only difference may be they added multimode ADSL fallback to FXS60. I would rather have newer firmware, have opened a ticket with Zyxel to see if they can cook anything up...

Edit: From Ikanos website - The Fusiv Vx180 offers two analog integrated front end (IFE) options. The IFE-5 supports up to the 30a profile with 100 Mbps upstream and 100 Mbps downstream performance. The IFE-6 (integrated front end and line driver) supports up to the 17a profile and fallback to ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+.

Apparently Zyxel P-2802HWL-I1 is the Ikanos version with routing functionality but it's not available anywhere I can tell.

I found a D-Link 6641K VDSL modem running in China with the same FXS50IF1 chip I have: »bbs.mydigit.cn/simple/?t ··· 810.html

And I found a doc that describes the last letters on Ikanos chips
Burst-Mode Engine (BME)/Digital Signal Processor (DSP) = BM1
AFE (Analog Front End) = IF1
Line Driver = LD1

Also there is at least 1 modem out there, "Fritzbox 7390" that lists the exact same DSL specs as Bell's Sagemcom 2864: »www.zebradem.com/wiki/in ··· LAN_7390

GarthDouglas
@hydroone.com

GarthDouglas to paulwye

Anon

to paulwye
My Cellpipe has been quite unstable, so I've resorted to the tactic of "offloading" responsibilities away from the Cellpipe to stabilize it:
- Disable uPnP.
- Disable WiFi.
- Disable most logging.
- Use a 2nd router chained to the Cellpipe to handle the WiFi.
- If possible, disable DHCP on the Cellpipe and let the 2nd router handle DHCP too. [Be careful, this is very tricky]

It sorta works; the WiFi is faster, and the Internet feels faster even though I'm going through 2 routers now! Making the Cellpipe handle fewer responsibilities, improves its stability.
rage
join:2012-03-05

rage

Hey Garth.

100% co-incidence your situation has improved after doing all that.

If you back and look, the modems have a history of rebooting, even when not connected to anything other than power.

The firmware on them is bad. This is known 100% based on every set of experimental data imaginable. Bell just doesn't care about TPIA providers and is likely dragging their heels on purpose with one of the many fixes that we on this forum already know to work. (specifically rollback firmware or replace with a Sagecom modem).