spc
Search similar:

uniqs

wificoncern
@dslextreme.com

wificoncern

Anon

Is sitting next to a wifi router ok?

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm totally serious. For years I've been sitting next to my Linksys router, you know the one with two antennas. Anyway, today I came across some articles mentioning how wifi may be unsafe for kids, something about electromagnetism that I'm not comprehending.

What do you guys think about this issue? Have I been killing myself sitting right next to this device?

But what about the wifi in general. The wifi connection is constantly used, by laptops, TVs, phones. Does this mean my home is basically a microwave oven?

I'm not turning green yet thankfully.

I'm thinking about some options:

- Should I relocate the device and modem to another room?

- Should I replace the Linksys with modern router that doesn't have external antennas?

- Should I drop wifi altogether and invest in power line networking?

- Or are these reports exaggerated and I should disregard them?

I may be paranoid but decades ago people didn't believe smoking causes cancers...
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

The scientific opinions on this subject are varied. There are output power limits for some OUTDOOR ONLY WiFi devices that are higher than INDOOR devices. The outdoor devices are meant to be up away from any long term close proximity to humans. If you are sitting within 1 foot of an indoor WiFi router set for maximum transmit power 12 hours or more every day, I would think you would want to put some more distance between yourself and the device. The antenna configuration, external or internal, does not really matter. If you can put the device up on a shelf or across the room you are in that might be good, if your WiFi clients can still get a decent signal.

If you can get powerline networking to work ,the benefits of sometimes faster data transfer rates and less crowded WiFi could be worth it all by themselves. My friend has powerline networking at his house and is very enthusiastic about it. He turned off all his WiFi gear as it did not provide reliable consistent data transfer. Of course his house is less than 10 years old, so the wiring is in pretty good condition. Your results using it may vary.

The main issue in children is that still developing brains are more sensitive to the effects of chemicals, radiation, and electromagnetism.The scientific community just does not know how much children are effected by WFi to the same extent they know about the effects on children of lead paint dust, tobacco smoke or alcohol.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to wificoncern

Premium Member

to wificoncern
Do you have a cell phone in your pocket?

wificoncern
@dslextreme.com

wificoncern to wificoncern

Anon

to wificoncern
Yeah, I literally sit right next to the router when I'm using the computer, on a small desk but not 12 hours. I guess I should get an extension cord and put it elsewhere.

According to dd-wrt the transmit power is 71mW.

I do live in an older home built in the 60's so powerline may not work then.

I only have a cell phone in my pocket when I'm outside.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to wificoncern

to wificoncern
I don't think you need to worry, but then again, this guy

set near one of those two antenna NETGEARS for awhile &.......
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to wificoncern

to wificoncern
wifi is bad its even worse if you use ddwrt people who do are cooking there brains and other stuff dont sit to close to it move it atleast 10 feet away

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Any chance you can provide some data to back up your extreme claims? The available science seems to suggest the opposite.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt to wificoncern

to wificoncern
A contemporary cellphone puts out about 1-2 Watts, if that helps.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to wificoncern

Mod

to wificoncern
said by wificoncern :

Does this mean my home is basically a microwave oven?

Yes, you are sitting in a microwave oven.

It is probably raising your body meat temperature by around 0.0000000000000001 degrees.

There's a lot more electromagnetic radiation of even smaller wavelength that is striking you. It is coming from the light bulb in your room, and from the monitor on your computer. But that's nothing compared to what hits you when you stand out in the sun.

Yes, I am sitting next to a router. And I am not the least bit concerned about it.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to wificoncern

Premium Member

to wificoncern
if this was really a concern i would be fried to a crisp. I sit within 10 feet of TWO different routers running two different networks.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to wificoncern

MVM

to wificoncern
From my old electronics / wireless class

- the higher the frequency, the shorter the range
- ergo, if you're worried about wireless, put it a distance away from you.

Also, wireless G / 2.4Ghz is the same stuff as what your microwave is putting out. Got any concerns about
sitting next to a microwave?

** By the way, I hold no actual official qualifications on comments just made, nor do I hold an opinion on the matter,
just trying to put alittle basic knowledge back into the whole 'dangers of wireless' discussion

Regards

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to wificoncern

Premium Member

to wificoncern
Unfortunately, there are too many people in this thread spreading false information. Despite what DD-WRT says, most home units transmit around 20mw ERP. Cell phones are capped by federal law to 150mw. FM radio is a few hundred watts to around several thousand. Some TV stations are a few hundred kw. Naturally, energy that turns into heat will cook you if turned way up, much higher than anything mentioned above. Other than this extreme, we have even made the aforementioned rule with cell phones without any scientific proof their waves do any harm. There isn't even any for Mr. big tv station. Just a bunch of people wearing tinfoil hats causing a bunch of issues with 0 proof to back up their claims. You are fine.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

There is a discussion here »forums.qrz.com/showthrea ··· ut-power that describes GMS cellphone transmit power as being capable of peak power of 100s of mW to as much as over 1 W but also configured to automatically use the minimum necessary given conditions in the system and ordinarily able to work in several 10s of mW range.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to wificoncern

to wificoncern
When using Powerline AV networking the more Powerline adapters you are using in your house the more magnetic interference you are creating inside your home.