share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

John Carter DVD.

I wonder how the DVD sales of John Carter are going? The rack at the local Target seemed empty.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

As much as I hate giving money to "Hollywood" studios--especially Disney, I bought it Tuesday on Blu-ray--primarily because Disney went out of its way to try and convince people to not go to watch the movie; and in spite of having to pay for it, I get something of a perverse pleasure by giving them what they clearly didn't want (namely, my money). (It was somewhat early in the day, so the shelf was well-stocked. I hope it sells well and screws up their tax write-off plans.)

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 edit
I purchased the 4 disk box set. Blue ray, regular DVD, digital copy, and a bonus disk.

I too, hope the sales are strong. I noticed how Disney isn't crying about the bomb that was John Carter, after the Avengers raked in the bucks.

Edit:
»www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinche···fitable/

quote:
John Carter's Trip to Mars Finally Earns Its Budget

Money is awesome because it buys you happiness, if happiness means paying your rent and your insurance bill. Hollywood loves money too. In fact, Hollywood loves money more Smeagol loves his Precious. Which is why the producers of John Carter are probably ecstatic to hear that their film, released one month ago, has finally earned its keep

BoxOffice Mojo reports that John Carter has grossed $254.5 million, a $4.5 million over its budget—currently not technically a profit, considering its advertising budget, but it’s far better than the epic loss that many had feared.

Unsurprisingly, most of this coin has come from overseas. While John Carter earned over $66 million here in the United States, international markets have pulled in over $188 million. Film Buff Online writes that John Carter was #1 in box office receipts for two weeks in a row in China. This profit will keep increasing, as John Carter has yet to be released in Japan, where it will surely put the movie several million dollars in the black.

Then there are DVD/Blu-Ray sales. Film Buff Online said,

[I]f we need any more proof of the true popularity of the film, we have to look no farther than Amazon.com. Amazon shoppers who signed up for e-mails to alert them of DVD & Blu-Ray new releases were informed that they were able to pre-order John Carter on video today. As of this writing, the Blu-Ray 3-D/Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy was the #1 selling item in Amazon’s Science-Fiction Movie list, and ranked #2 in the Action & Adventure and Fantasy Categories…. It ranks #13 over all in the Movies & TV Blu-Ray list.

If you recall, Waterworld had cost $175 million to make yet only earned $88 million in North America. But according to Yahoo Voices, “Overseas sales along with VHS and DVD sales allowed the movie to recoup” its losses. Ultimately, Waterworld earned $264 million.

If DVD/Blu-Ray sales are strong, it could very well catapult John Carter into the kind of success that give Hollywood executives sweaty dreams and encourage them to marry trophy wives.

I guess you can call John Carter a victim of not getting there quick enough VS not making it's budget. Though I've noticed that the Ads for the DVD sales are kinda thin. Either Disney doesn't want it to sell well in DVD/streaming format, or they have no faith that it will sale.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
Maybe the "critics" overseas aren't as big a bunch of dumb-asses as the ones here in the states? (and actually know a good movie when they see one)
Interesting... I just checked Amazon's top 100 Movies & TV overall sales rankings, and 'John Carter' has 3 items in the top 20: 4-disc combo @ #7, 2-disc combo @ #10, and DVD @ #20 ...cool.
It seems Redbox is sourcing its purchase of 'John Carter' from retailers instead of Disney so that it can start renting DVD and Blu-ray discs starting next week instead of nearly 2 months from now (Disney's delay window). I wonder how this will affect sales... it seems to me that of the people who actually see the movie, more of them want to buy the disc than not. So I get the feeling that this will be good for sales: spend a dollar or two to see it, find out how good it is, then buy it 'cause you know you're gonna want to own it so you can watch it again (and again). Well, that's what I would do.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil
What killed the movie was the PR campaign. It was so badly advertised it boggles the mind.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Outside of distributing some trailers/clips, did they actually do any "PR"?

Personally, I think Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars might have been a better title.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to TigerLord
What PR campaign? I didn't even know this movie existed till someone mentioned it here.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

I was seeing commercials and trailers for this movie all over the place before it was released. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Yep, they advertised the heck out of the movie before release. But after the weak opening, it seemed they couldn't pull the advertising fast enough.

I think it's a sad state of affairs, if a movie has to "make it's money" on it's opening weekend. My understanding is only a few do, the rest will make their money in about a month.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

I was seeing commercials and trailers for this movie all over the place before it was released.

The problem is it was the worst kind of commercials and marketing. The details they pushed were not compelling and it felt like they meant it that way. The title of the movie alone is enough to kill sales, especially when they passed on previous ideas that would have been better. John Carter and the Princess of Mars, John Carter of Mars... both are better than just John Carter. Nobody really knows who John Carter is outside of the classic SF literature buffs.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Who cares? I had no idea who John Carter was either. The movie just looked cool as hell. The special effects looked great, and it looked like it had a lot of action. I never read one of the John Carter books, so that really doesn't mean much.

A good commercial/trailer is a good commercial/trailer, and they had tons of commercials and trailers all over the place that made me really interested enough to want to go see this on opening weekend. Fyi, the theater was packed! The line was long to see this movie, and if you didn't get there early, you could forget about getting a good seat.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
'John Carter' Tops Home Video Sales

The real stats (units, $ amounts) won't be out till next week.
--
Roku \r-k\ : geek-speak for à la carte, on demand infotainment

join:2012-06-18
united kingd
reply to Snakeoil
i didnt really watch the movie in theaters because of the feedback i got from some of my friends regarding the movie and they were not really happy with it although i am still curious to see the movie so i opted to buy it on dvd and maybe save a few bucks rather than bringing the whole family to the movie theaters maybe that was the reason of many of the people who bought the dvd copy as well.

iamwhatiam

@verizon.net
Turns out a lot more people bought it on Blu-ray, which isn't very surprising--nearly a million copies (which was #1 for Blu-ray sales for the week). I wonder how big of a drop-off week 2 will be (usually quite a lot).

(going for the longest sentence record there? )

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
Bought the Blu-ray to test-drive the household's first 1080p TV and Blu-ray DVD player. For a flick that Disney moved up to an early March release, it's a damn fine, entertaining, summer movie.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Sure is.

That's why I don't get why it didn't do well at the box office. I thought it was a good movie. It was just Disney deciding to write this movie off right from the start, and not do the kind of marketing blitz that was done for The Avengers.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
We got a free on-demand movie coupon and watched John Carter this week-end. It wasn't bad but it also wasn't great. I can see why it did so bad given movies like Avengers, MIB3, etc. all far exceeded it. If it would have been released at a slower time it might have done better.

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
reply to Snakeoil
I watched the Netflix Blu-Ray and liked it enough that I'll add it to my Blu-Ray collection once the price drops to $12-14. Hopefully they'll do a sequel.
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Snakeoil
I got the 3-D set myself don't even have a 3-d TV but maybe one day as it was only 5 bucks more then the just 2-d one on amazon. How Disney came up with it as a 200 million loss I don't get unless they mean they were thinking they'd make a 200 million profit on it.

Movie is being used as a nice tax write off.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Snakeoil
Movie money math is an odd thing. I bet Avatar has not made a "profit" yet even though it raked 2.5bil before home video. There has been stories where a movie is run as its own business so the studio can constantly declare it never made a profit and pay lower royalties to the people that did the actual work.

Anyway its not a surprise it did good on video, lots of films have performed poorly at the theater and then rake in the cash with home video.(and to think in the late 70s early 80s the MAFIAA wanted to kill home video.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Snakeoil
I don't know about DVD, but it's only 4 bucks for a 48 hr rental from Amazon. I may check it out.

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil
My wife actually wanted to watch this (I did as well), and we did the On-Demand thing a few days ago. We both enjoyed it, very entertaining.

Lynn Collins handling that big blade.... Very nice...
--
You may say I'm a Dreamer.... But I'm not the only one.....

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
After a Google search for Lynn Collins/Dejah Thoris, I'll DEFINITELY check it out.

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
Then I remembered her being on True Blood once.......yeah she was naked