spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

antler

@shawcable.net

[BC] Shaw BT upload issue?

Hello, has anyone ever experienced their BT upload drop to something like 0-5 kb/s? I've had this problem for the past month or so and I've tried to figure out on 4 different computers (Mac and Windows), various clients, the rebooting router, using a wired connection. I've checked and rechecked and there doesn't seem to be any problems on my end that I can identify. As an example, I've hosted an Open Office torrent for several days now and I haven't uploaded 4 MBs.

I do realize that Shaw throttles uploads as I've run Glasnost which shows I'm capped at ~80-100 kb/s but I'm actually sat at 0 kb/s.

Is anyone else experiencing this or am I alone?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Are there many seeds and peers - Could be that you are not being used because not needed.

Or more likely, Shaw is throttling the upload in your area, and that test is not detecting it.

-Posted from my phone.

antler

@shawcable.net

There are peers, and at one point I noticed more peers than seeds, but it seems to be a bit of a catch 22. The peers can't download from me so I get fewer peers and repeat. In any case, I've never had a problem where I've put up a copy of OpenOffice for several days and not managed to seed it to at least 100%. I checked with tech support and they say they're not doing any traffic shaping so either he really believes it and doesn't know about it or it's some sort of policy to be economical with the truth. Time to find another provider I guess.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

I'm not confident they tell the reps about the shaping, and which areas.

When they first started, nobody even knew they did it anywhere. Took me 3 service calls with no resolution for me to realize it. Ellacoya used to be an unspoken word/company, that very few knew about.

I believe the reps don't know.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Morricone

join:2012-06-08
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to antler

It's happening here, too. Since May 24, my upload speed has dropped from 200-250 kB/s to 0-4 kB/s. My download speed seems unaffected.

I'm on private trackers, so I'm exchanging files with people I'm familiar with. Even if I'm the only seed, my upload speed stays below 4 kB/s.

I've tried everything antler tried (except with 3 computers not 4), so I'm confident the problem isn't on my end.

The rep I spoke to told me that Shaw doesn't guarantee bitTorrent speeds, but speeds should be back to normal by the time Shaw switches my neighborhood over to digital, which should be completed sometime between now and the end of 2013...

It would be nice to know what's going on. I won't be able to stay with Shaw if these speeds are permanent.

Anyone else?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

The Ellacoya equipment (I don't remember which company bought them) looks at the indvidual packets, doesn't matter if private or public trackers. Depending on the client, the encryption won't matter either.

One the neighborhood is upgraded and no longer congested, the packet shaping will be removed.

Or just a node-split.

-Posted from my phone.

Morricone

Port Coquitlam, BC

Re: private trackers

What I was trying to say was, because I know the people I'm exchanging files with, I'm familiar with the speeds I should be getting. I'm not connecting with random strangers who might be on dial-up.

Re: packet shaping

The rep who told me that speeds would be back to normal once my neighborhood is upgraded sounded like he was just guessing.

PS: is there any way to find out when my neighborhood is scheduled to be upgraded? The rep didn't know, and being told "before the end of 2013" wasn't reassuring.

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
reply to antler

I can usually max my upload speed on BB50 to around 300KB/s, while I can't usually max my download speed.

antler

@shawcable.net

I'm glad Morricone is also experiencing the same problem, i.e.: I've not done something silly locally. Plus I'm in roughly the same vicinity near the Burnaby/New West border.

However, I see decent upload speeds for Dropbox and various speedtests. My terrible upload is specifically with BT and that's with semi-private trackers. It doesn't make sense that's it's related to the digital switchover but then I don't really know what they're doing behind the scenes.

re: upload/download speeds, it's possible to check your BT capability with Glastnost: »broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparen···test.php Run the test then view the details and see if it matches the numbers from various non-BT specific speedtests.

Morricone

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to antler

Yeah, my problem is limited to BT, too.

Results of speed tests look fine. And I can upload to file hosting services like Mediafire at over 200kB/s. etc.

Re: the digital switchover

The rep's explanation to me was that the system will run more efficiently once it's switched over to digital, relieving stress on congested nodes. (His theory on why my BT upload speed suddenly disappeared was that there is probably a whole bunch of people in my area trying to use the internet at the same time. I don't think he believed what he was saying; he just had to tell me, the customer, something.)

But it could be as Kevin suggested, and Shaw will stop engaging in traffic shaping once the new system is in place.

antler

@shawcable.net

Hmm... I'm out of town for a while, if it's still a problem when I get back and I can't figure out how to resolve it with tech support or don't get a resolve date I can live with, I'll probably look at alternative providers in some form.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Mister M

join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC
reply to antler

Shaw + Ellacoya = +1
Shaw customer = -1

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to antler

I'm in Victoria and seem to have no problems with BT traffic. I've been with Shaw almost a year now and have seen uploads/downloads max out at full speed (assuming there is sufficient seeders/leechers).

I was actually surprised. When I used shaw about 10 years ago it was very throttled on the upload.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to antler

said by antler :

I'm glad Morricone is also experiencing the same problem, i.e.: I've not done something silly locally. Plus I'm in roughly the same vicinity near the Burnaby/New West border.

Shaw's policy if upstream is saturating due to P2P is to limit you to 80kbps upstream on certain P2P apps. Per the acceptable use policy (under Traffic Management policies):

»www.shaw.ca/terms-of-use/#section4

Last updated: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.
Shaw's traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.
The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw's network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual's customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.

Morricone

Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to antler

I have read their Terms of Service, but I interpreted "real-time traffic management decisions" to mean that Shaw's throttling would fluctuate throughout the day.

Instead, my upload speeds are borderline nonexistent 24/7.

I'll have to call them on Monday, to see if I can find out when my area is going to be upgraded.

I'd rather not switch ISPs, but I see no point in paying for bandwidth I'm not allowed or able to use.