spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Savatage79
join:2012-06-07
New Kensington, PA

Savatage79

New here, and considering verizon fios but need some input

So basically im just looking for some big time info perhaps from others that were with dish/comcast previously.

I have currently Dish for my tv, and comcast for my internet. I have to say, i cant complain much about my setup.

How much better are we talking here to go from these services to fios, estimated? Is the internet definitely noticably faster? Is the PQ that that much better than dish?

What are some of your price totals that you spend monthly on the service?

Is there any of you that is simply not happy with it?

Just some basic questions, hope i can get some info here to help me make my choice. I appreciate the time, thanks!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Search is your friend. There have been a lot of comparison threads.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to Savatage79

Premium Member

to Savatage79
FiOS Internet is much better than Xfinity internet, both in speed and overall reliability. Verizon over-provisions their internet services, so you can expect real-world internet speeds to be about 10-15% faster than advertised, any time of day. So if, for example, you subscribe to the 75M/35M package (which will be available starting June 16th,) your real-world speeds will probaboy be closer to 85M/40M. Because that's just how Verizon rolls.

I can't speak much about FiOS TV vs. Dish Network because I've never had Dish Network.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

Fios TV has much better picture quality than Dish. You also have a real VOD service. Depending on your package it may be much cheaper or about the same, but you pretty much need to bundle as much service as possible to get the best price. You need to check out the channels you typically watch to see if they have the HD version or not whichever service you are considering.

Dish of course has its Hopper boxes that have some interesting features. Verizon's DVR boxes are about similar to vip722's.
JAH_PGH
join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH

I had Comcast 7 years ago and hated their internet and TV (I didn't have HD at the time). Then I had DTV and loved it (except for the rain issue etc), but discovered that Fios has more HD channels than Comcast or DTV.
Fios internet has always been solid for me and never once have I complained about speed and reliablility.
I have the triple-play (phone, internet and TV). I have all the channels offered (pay channels, HDNet, Smithsonian etc), a DVR and a second STB and my monthly bill is just under $200. I need to call them and see if there are any discounts available since one of my yearly discounts has expired...
Overall, I'm very pleased. The only negative thing I can say about Fios is the STB guide and function. It's a little suspect at times, but worth the minor headaches to have their service. That being said, compared to Comcast, Verizon's guide is 100 times better.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to Savatage79

Premium Member

to Savatage79
I have all FIOS (phone, TV, net) and overall, like it just fine.

Good:
The net connection is solid (though doesn't seem over-provisioned here)- the most reliable I've ever had (between dialup > several DSL providers > Comcast).

TV is fine. Lots of HD, sure, but many only available in higher $$ packages. I don't really care about HD and watch most in SD (on my HD TV!) anyway...except the occasional movie or sports event.
Neat 'widgets' but don't use them much.

Phone - generally fine, no call quality or reliability issues.

Bad:
Nothing bad to say about net connection.

TV: OnDemand pales in volume to Comcast, at least when I last had Comcast 5 years ago. And the VZ Guide is wonky.

Phone: There's no current like on POTS, so once power goes out, the backup battery gives you maybe 12 hours, *maybe* 24 if you're lucky. After that, no phone (or net or tv, of course, unless you hookup a bigger backup or gennie).

Overall, if you ever deal with rain fade/outages with Dish, I'd think FIOS would be a better solution right there.