spc
Search similar:

uniqs
David3941
join:2000-12-27
Kalamazoo, MI

David3941

Charter Duo

Decided to pull the plug on AT&T and get rid of Uverse internet and phone. Getting Charter Duo of internet and phone will save about $40.00 a month. Question what type of UPS should I get for power back(phone)?
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by David3941:

Decided to pull the plug on AT&T and get rid of Uverse internet and phone. Getting Charter Duo of internet and phone will save about $40.00 a month. Question what type of UPS should I get for power back(phone)?

its usually a combined cable and phone VoIP modem, and it only takes a few watts to power, so, probably just a small UPS for it would work. I have my modem and router on a 300w UPS, and it will last at least 7 hours on it(never had it longer). More than likely, the node UPS will die long before your modem will(or in some cases, wont work at all). I suggest keeping an old cell phone around just in case you need to dial 911 if there is a power outage.
David3941
join:2000-12-27
Kalamazoo, MI

David3941

Two single units, SB6121 and ARRIS TM502A. Speed is good at 35 down.
Chubbysumo
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by David3941:

Still, getting a small UPS for them will do well. The 6121 uses ~10w, and the arris looks like it will use around 25w, so a UPS with a moderately sized battery will power those two plus a router for much longer than the node or headend UPSs will likely last.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to David3941

Premium Member

to David3941
said by David3941:

The Arris TM502A usually comes with a battery... if not it'll accept one.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to David3941

to David3941
Did the same thing about 18 months ago.

Charter provided me with a SB6120 (which I ended up getting my own to save the rental fee) and requested the Arris TM502G for phone service with a battery pack. They did charge a one time fee of 40 bucks for the battery, but said there would be no charge if it ever needed to be replaced.

A UPS would work too though.
Chubbysumo
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by Crash Gordon:

Did the same thing about 18 months ago.

Charter provided me with a SB6120 (which I ended up getting my own to save the rental fee) and requested the Arris TM502G for phone service with a battery pack. They did charge a one time fee of 40 bucks for the battery, but said there would be no charge if it ever needed to be replaced.

A UPS would work too though.

You can buy the battery packs on amazon for $15...

norton
join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI
·T-Mobile

norton

if power is down in neighborhood your hosed with charter phone with or with out a battery
if power is down cable is down and your hosed with or without a battery
who calls on land line anymore? use your cell.

saying all this we keep our land line and save on bundle. but least of my worries is what to do with a phone when cable/power is out.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by norton:

if power is down in neighborhood your hosed with charter phone with or with out a battery

That totally depends on the equipment in the area.

My area in Charter has battery backups which last several hours. Cable, phone, and internet don't go down when the power does.
Chubbysumo
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by DocDrew:

said by norton:

That totally depends on the equipment in the area.

My area in Charter has battery backups which last several hours. Cable, phone, and internet don't go down when the power does.

Same here. Had a power outage of over 5 hours, and after about 5 hours, the node UPS started dying, because my modem would de-sync about every 15 minutes, and then after 6 hours, it was completely dead(my UPS was not, charters was).