uniqs

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

1 recommendation

Streetlight

[IPv6] Solved problem w/ Firefox disabling IPv6

Numerous threads have recently appeared in this forum regarding Comcast's implementation of IPv6. One of the threads which was relevant to me was the difficulty some folks had getting IPv6 to work when their network used a Netgear WNDR3700 V1 router.

See:

»[IPv6] Netgear WNDR3700v1 and Ipv6 Issues

The posts by MartinC and Gerard1234 are particularly important on the second page of the thread.

I did all the things recommended in their posts - update the router to firmware V1.0.16.98-dnsNA using the beta software and juggling cables, but found no joy.

After much work, I found that, although Firefox 13.0 is supposed to be IPv6 aware by default, but for some reason it had network.dns.disableIPv6 in about:config set to true, so IPv6 tests failed. By double clicking on this line the boolean will be changed from true to false thus allowing Firefox to recognize IPv6. After this all the various IPv6 tests work perfectly.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Solved problem w/ Firefox disabling IPv6

Here is a good web site to test and make sure you browser is using IPV6 as the default:

»ipv6-test.com/

It also has a tab where you can do a V4 vs V6 speedtest to a site in California.

P.S.> The ping test tab doesn't work, if like me you turned on IPV6 security in your router.

And to see whether a web site is using IPV6, you can use this addon in Firefox where it puts the IP addr(v4 or V6) in the add-on bar you can turn on by hovering over the "Options" menu item.
ShowIP 1.6 : »addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· /?src=ss

Streetlight
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight

Click for full size
Romney2012,

Ya, this is one of the tests I performed and I get the speeds I expect as I'm on the 12/2 Performance plan. It would be nice if this test had an upload speed. I noticed the ping test is broken. The netalyzr test gives something that's perhaps more useful and that is latency. I find that the latency for IPv6 is much higher than for IPv4. Probably important for gamers. Firefox has an IP precedence for IPv6 over IPv4 when both are available for a linked site. I'd like to be able to reverse that but haven't figured out how.

The other tests are:

»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

which gives an incredible amount of information.

and

»test-ipv6.comcast.net/

or

»test-ipv6.com/

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Streetlight

Premium Member

to Streetlight

Re: [IPv6] Solved problem w/ Firefox disabling IPv6

Something peaked my interest and I wanted to browse to an IPV6 ready web site just using the IPV6 address instead of the name. And I was having a problem making that work until I found out you have to put the addr inside of brackets [ ] to make it work.

For an example here is the facebook.com addr:
»[2a03:2880:2110:3f01:fac ··· 00c:0:0]
[2a03:2880:2110:3f01:face:b00c:0:0]

If you use this, it doesn't work:
»2a03:2880:2110:3f01:face ··· b00c:0:0
2a03:2880:2110:3f01:face:b00c:0:0

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Yeah read that the other day. It's because IPv6 uses : which are normally use to specify ports in IPV4 addresses such as:

192.168.1.10:8080

Now with IPv6 you gotta use the brackets and to specify ports with those you do a:

http://[2a03:2880:2110:3f01:face:b00c:0:0]:8080

Streetlight
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to FFH5

to FFH5
Romney2012,

I presume if one's building a hosts file with IPv6 addresses one must use the brackets in the file listing.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Streetlight:

Romney2012,

I presume if one's building a hosts file with IPv6 addresses one must use the brackets in the file listing.

No not required..

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
spookypuff66
join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66 to Streetlight

to Streetlight
>>for some reason it had network.dns.disableIPv6 in about:config set to true, so IPv6 tests failed.

How do you change above to false? I have done something like this before but but can't remember how to get started.
TIA
spookypuff66

spookypuff66

As you were. I typed in the address bar of FF 13. "about: config". My network.dns.disableIPv6 in about:config is set to False.

When I run IPv6 test with FF 13 I get " When both protocols are available, your browser uses IPv4"

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by spookypuff66:

As you were. I typed in the address bar of FF 13. "about: config". My network.dns.disableIPv6 in about:config is set to False.

When I run IPv6 test with FF 13 I get " When both protocols are available, your browser uses IPv4"

What OS are you running. That has a bearing on what protocol is defaulted.

Windows Vista & 7 make IPV6 the default if network has IPV6 turned on. Others may need some settings chgd.
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

>>What OS are you running? >> Windows 7.

When I run IPv6 test with FF 13 I also get

"Your internet connection is not IPv6 capable
N/A
unable to contact IPv6 test server"

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by spookypuff66:

>>What OS are you running? >> Windows 7.

When I run IPv6 test with FF 13 I also get

"Your internet connection is not IPv6 capable
N/A
unable to contact IPv6 test server"

Based on that response, a few things are possible:

If using a router, your router either doesn't support IPV6 or it is not configured with the option on.

Comcast hasn't turned on IPV6 in your area.

You don't have IPV6 turned on in your PC or you disabled the IPV6 service.

Streetlight
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

Streetlight to spookypuff66

to spookypuff66
said by spookypuff66:

>>for some reason it had network.dns.disableIPv6 in about:config set to true, so IPv6 tests failed.

1. Bring up Firefox
2. Type about:config in the location bar, aka, the Awesome Bar
3. Promise to be careful
4. Either scroll down until you find the line "network.dns.disableIPv6" or put that text in the search box to find it
5. Highlight the line headed by network.dns.disableIPv6
6. Double click the line and you'll see true change to false
7. Close the page.
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

1 edit

spookypuff66 to FFH5

to FFH5
My browser went right to Facebook when I pasted [2a03:2880:2110:3f01:face:b00c:0:0] in the address bar.
By the way I have a RVS4000 router. My IP mode was set on 4. I enabled IPv6. When I retested I got the same results, however the sight did put me on hold while it ran a short test.
I'll just hang on and see what happens?
Thanks

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by spookypuff66:

My browser went right to Facebook when I pasted [2a03:2880:2110:3f01:face:b00c:0:0] in the address bar.
By the way I have a RVS4000 router. My IP mode was set on 4. I enabled IPv6. When I retested I got the same results, however the sight did put me on hold while it ran a short test.
I'll just hang on and see what happens?
Thanks

If you got to Facebook.com thru the IPV6 address, then Comcast has your area up on IPV6; your router is working IPV6; your PC supports it; and the browser supports it. Looks like the only glitch you may still have is the PC or router is not handling DNS for IPV6 correctly yet. I'd concentrate the troubleshooting there.
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Hold the phone.
After I enabled IPv6 on my router my partner's browser's on a Vista PC went Able Sugar. Ran the v6 test and got a warning "test taking to long check router/PC. Reset router to v4 and everything, except the partner, is back to where it was.
Question: could someone please tell me how to interrogate ( dig into) the PC's?