spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

php111

join:2008-11-06
Allentown, PA

Could I use the Windows server (free) with OpenVPN client?

Hi,

I was asking my questions over at FST forums known as FileSharing Talk, and all honestly, I have no clue what they are saying, so I decided not to reply to that particular thread.

I am honestly looking for short answers, and I am not trying to be rude. This would be only for one PC by just using a DSL modem without a router/NAT.

FST said that I could use the OpenVPN client which is free, but then it's only a client, so I would still need a server to run it on, and that is not free. We are talking about SSL+VPN. May I ask is the Windows server free where I could run the client? If it is free, I am really confused on why they don't recommend the Windows server to run the client on if it is really free? Or they would personally recommend a free server over the Windows server?

Thank you if someone could help me,

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
No, the native Windows PPTP VPN server function is not compatible with OpenVPN...

With that said the OpenVPN server is still free...

»openvpn.net/index.php/open-sourc···ads.html

The How-To's...

»openvpn.net/index.php/open-sourc···wto.html

This post by OZO maybe of some help with the config files..

»Re: Windows 2003 VPN

Specific help is on the OpenVPN community support forums...

»forums.openvpn.net/
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

php111

Allentown, PA
Thank you so very much, SoonerAl!

php111

Allentown, PA
I was reading over the Re: Windows 2003 server, and they have it as a client on one system, and the server on the other? In this case, could I have both the server and client on one PC? If so, what would I be doing to make it work that way? I am assuming the first link goes over everything with installation for both the server and the client?

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
Norman, OK
said by php111:

I was reading over the Re: Windows 2003 server, and they have it as a client on one system, and the server on the other? In this case, could I have both the server and client on one PC? If so, what would I be doing to make it work that way? I am assuming the first link goes over everything with installation for both the server and the client?

You can however the client in that case would be used to connect to another external server. It does not make sense, at least to me, for the client to connect to the server on the same PC.

This illustrates a home VPN situation with a VPN server running on one PC. In this case its the native PPTP VPN function on both the home server PC and the remote client. Just substitute OpenVPN for PPTP VPN terminology, ports, etc. Also with OpenVPN in bridge mode you can easily access all shared folders on the home network through the VPN tunnel and server.

»theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/V···ser.html

What are you needing a VPN for, ie. remote file access or remote access/control of a home PC (aka Remote Desktop or VNC) or what?
--

php111

Allentown, PA
I'm sorry, but I am not really understanding. I do understand you said substitute OpenVPN for PPTP VPN. What is the amount of security for PPTP? I mean what are the chances that someone could get a hold of my IP? How do I setup PPTP as both client and server on one home PC?

I really don't have the answers.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
Norman, OK
said by php111:

I'm sorry, but I am not really understanding. I do understand you said substitute OpenVPN for PPTP VPN. What is the amount of security for PPTP? I mean what are the chances that someone could get a hold of my IP? How do I setup PPTP as both client and server on one home PC?

I really don't have the answers.

PPTP VPN is less secure than OpenVPN particularly if you use certificates for OpenVPN user access authentication.

What exactly do you need a VPN for?

Are you looking for remote access to files on a home PC from a remote site or what?

If you specify what operating systems you run on both your home PC and the remote client there maybe other strategies folks on this forum can offer particularly remote file access.
--

php111

Allentown, PA
I am mainly looking for security in the US as in SSL+VPN. The reason behind it for that kind of security is because of the FileSharing law. Since PPTP is less secure then unfortunately it's not going to work. I only own one PC, and it won't be any sort of remote. Also, I'm not sure how this could be done since my DSL modem does not have SSL on either ports 443, or even 563.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
Norman, OK
said by php111:

I am mainly looking for security in the US as in SSL+VPN. The reason behind it for that kind of security is because of the FileSharing law. Since PPTP is less secure then unfortunately it's not going to work. I only own one PC, and it won't be any sort of remote. Also, I'm not sure how this could be done since my DSL modem does not have SSL on either ports 443, or even 563.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

So your looking to securely share files with others?

Again setting up an OpenVPN server and client on one PC is not an issue.

The OpenVPN server function allows other remote users to access the PC securely for remote file access.

The separate OpenVPN client function allows you to access other OpenVPN servers for remote file access.

You might also look at SkyDrive, a free service from Microsoft, that allows you to share files with remote users individually or publicly. Its encrypted and configurable. There is a SkyDrive app for Windows 7 so the folders on the SkyDrive server are treated like local folders on your PC. You can simply copy or move files to or from the shared folders.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/home

For example I use SkyDrive to share photos/videos with remote family members and personally have the SkyDrive app on my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, my wife's Windows 7 Home Premium desktop and an iPod Touch (4th gen)...
--

php111

Allentown, PA
Hey,

I am just getting back to you. My DSL modem does not support SSL. So, would it be impossible if I run the OpenVPN client on one PC, and find a server to run it out? I'll get you the link to my thread on this subject over at the FST forums.

»filesharingtalk.com/threads/4494···for-July

That is my thread, and they are recommending SSL+VPN, but they are saying paid for decent, but could I get this for free?

Thank you,

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
Norman, OK
You can change the OpenVPN port and protocol from the defaults. See the port and proto configurables in the server and client config files. The default protocol is UDP...

Since your apparently on the edge of trying to bypass some sort of file sharing laws this is my last reply to this post.
--

php111

Allentown, PA
Why is this your last reply to this post?

How do I change it? How do I use get a server/client up and running?

I really wish this wouldn't be your last reply.