DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

2 edits

[Wi-Fi] Does Comcast $7/mo modem include WiFi

Does anyone know exactly what the heck you get for the $7/mo modem? I'm totally unclear on if this is a single-port Ethernet modem, or a router, or a router with WiFi. Comcast's rep on the phone was totally noncommittal about what was provided.

Anyone know? Is there a web page that clarifies what you get for the $7/mo?

-Dane

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: Does Comcast $7/mo modem include WiFi

said by DaneJasper:

I just got Comcast, for the $7 they were going to provide a single ethernet port cable modem--no wifi.

My mother has Comcast + phone. They provided an Arris bridge thing, it doesn't have wifi or a router, so she needed a router. Same at my father's Comcast install--got a combo modem/phone adapter, had to provide his own router for wifi.

Regardless of what they provide, for the $80-120 you're probably better off to buy your own device vs. pay them $7 + tax.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DaneJasper
said by DaneJasper:

Does anyone know exactly what the heck you get for the $7/mo modem? I'm totally unclear on if this is a single-port Ethernet modem, or a router, or a router with WiFi. Comcast's rep on the phone was totally noncommittal about what was provided.

-Dane

Comcast charges $7 per month rent for whichever kind of device you require for connectivity, be it a straight cable modem, or an eMTA if you are getting internet and voice. You can request a wireless gateway...but do not! They are all more trouble than they are worth, much better to supply your own high quality router.

If you are asking which modem or eMTA they will supply? Call and ask, there are several different possibilities based on your needs and where you are located (and what they have in the nearest warehouse).

BTW, nothing new here: Some Comcast account executives (that's what they call them!) are pretty knowledgeable about all the details of your order while others...not so much. In my experience, if I am not getting a cohesive answer, I thank them for their help, hang up, and call back and get somebody else on the line.
--
Deeds, not words

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
Yep $7 no matter what combo you have, I personally have a D3 modem, EMTA, and my own router . $7.00 total. Another family member has all 3 pieces from Comcast = $7.00.

At least that's how it is here.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DaneJasper
For a while they would provide a wireless router "free" (you pay shipping) to those that rented modems.
This program was supposed to be replaced by making all-in-one gateways available nationwide.

Are you genuinely interested in service? Or just checking out the competition? It is possible the CSR recognizes the name and is just messing with you. also did you call sales? or the support #?

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to DaneJasper
I found this:

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···gateway/

So, it looks like maybe they do now offer a WiFi unit, but perhaps that's new, or not yet available.

-Dane

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
As mentioned, the general consensus is to stay away from 'gateway' devices (modem and router combined.) You have no control over the firmware of the router section, plus I wouldn't be surprised that Comcast could fully access all of the routers settings, including security and passwords. Although some of these may be able to be put into a bridge mode (bypass the internal router), it may be a hassle and require convincing Comcast of it.

If you want Comcast phone, then you mostly have to rent and use an eMTA. You can sometimes buy one, but only at full retail from certain Best Buy stores.

If you only want HSI, you are probably best off buying your own modem.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
said by andyross:

If you want Comcast phone, then you mostly have to rent and use an eMTA. You can sometimes buy one, but only at full retail from certain Best Buy stores.

What's an eMTA?

Best off is one thing - but most consumers won't do anything aside from the default, taking equipment from the provider. I'm trying to understand what that equipment IS.

-Dane

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to DaneJasper
They aren't lending you X equipment, they are just getting you connected. Sometimes that's Gateway device (modem/router combo) or just a Modem. There is no way for REP to know what device the technician will have on their truck when they come to your place or what gets shipped to you. As long as you are connected and it works that's all that they care about.

If you want fancy network management tools and all that, that's usually up to you to provide. Unlike DSL, you generally don't get wireless included with modems but some do offer that.

ats

join:2008-11-14
Vallejo, CA
kudos:1
reply to DaneJasper
you are in the bay, "most likely" you will get an arris or smc gateway,the'yve been pushing that for quite some time.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
said by ats:

you are in the bay, "most likely" you will get an arris or smc gateway,the'yve been pushing that for quite some time.

And these are just single port Cable to Ethernet devices?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to DaneJasper
said by DaneJasper:

said by andyross:

What's an eMTA?

It's a modem that also handles cable phone service. Supposedly, due to 911 regulations (Comcast says), only approved devices can be connected to their system.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_M···pter#MTA

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DaneJasper
Bottom line D.J.: If you are using internet & voice, there is little advantage to buying your own eMTA modem...too many restrictions from Comcast, and they are not all that cheap, but if you are getting internet only, buying your own modem makes a great deal of sense.

A very good modem such as the Zoom 5341J can be had at retail for $79 - $89 which will quickly pay for itself.

The only authorized self-owned eMTA, the Arris TM722G, while being a good enough unit, is already a couple of model years old, and at $149 & installation fee, is a less compelling self-own solution. By the time it makes the "paid for itself" category, it will be a 5 year old model...
--
Deeds, not words

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DaneJasper
Others here are more expert than I, but I prefer my units to be separate. So I rent Comcast's Modem and have my "owned" Router/Wi-Fi Unit. Just like I have never bought a TV with an internal DVD Player. So much easier to troubleshoot, if there is a problem.

With your own, you can add your own Firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT firmware.

Just bookmarked this PC Mag article this morning on IPv6 Devices now available for Wi-Fi and networking:
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405389,00.asp. They list 10 with reviews.

Cannot comment any further as I am using an old Netgear b/g WGR614v9 Router/AP for my simple Wi-Fi setup. This setup has worked for over 7 years, See myself updating in the next year.

I pay them $7.00 for a Ubee DOCSIS 3.0 Modem with 1 Ethernet out.

htth

Edit: Link to Comcast's approved devices - »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to DaneJasper
you will all like this lol

The gateway device with wifi requires a code on the account to work. To put this code on the account it charges you a varying amount for wifi setup for up to I believe 5 computers. Technician can put the device in as a modem hard wired router, but if that gateway code is NOT present it will disable the wifi after a week or two. It's the stupidist GD thing i have ever seen. We get service calls all the time when the wifi goes out.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to hortnut
But you can still do exactly what you are doing now with your own bridge modem and not pay the $7.00/month.

Your existing router plugs into the modem which has nothing inside to configure.

zack514

join:2012-06-07

2 edits
reply to DaneJasper
Dane, I just got comcast yesterday after being a DSL customer for the past 8 years. I specifically requested a wifi modem and knew they told me it would be a $7/ month rental fee which is fine with me because I really just didn't feel like bothering with it all even though everyone's advice is to buy your own router and save the monthly fee.

As for that modem, it works great for me. I have had no problems at all and I was even able to login to the control panel and personalize some settings.

EDIT: trythisfirst, what do you mean if the gateway code is not present it will disable the wifi after a week or two? So I can expect it all to go off in a week or two? What the heck is that all about?

Dane, I was referring to the modem in the link you posted here: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···gateway/ .

Now trythisfirst has me freaked out though.

zack514

1 edit
reply to DaneJasper
Hopefully trythisfirst is not talking about the unit that I am using because all my devices are using the wifi from the modem.

(sorry about the double post, don't know how to delete my post here.)

zack514

1 edit
reply to DaneJasper
Why do you guys at comcast have to make everything so darn complicated?

I started losing wifi connection every 24 hours at the same time it seems. Unplugging the modem will bring it back, but same problem in 24 hours again it seems this is what trythisfirst was talking about?

Is there a way you can show me of how I can resolve this problem myself without having to call that horrid comcast phone number which I'm convinced would only complicate things. I called them about a billing issue already and they were so clueless of what I was talking about so I don't want to have to go through that again.

edit: I have decided I should buy my own wireless router myself and not mess with that comcast wireless networking option. What would be the best wireless router? Should I keep the current D3 Emta Modem because I have their phone service?

hortnut
Huh?

PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to graysonf
Unaware of the option and my Google juju today is not very good. Come up with a lot of hits for DSL modems.

Particular make/model on Comcast's list?

Another note: I travel a lot in summer visiting relatives/friends. I usually take the Router/AP with me and just plug into any available port on their router or switch. That way I do not have to mess with settings, passphrases and such.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by hortnut:

Particular make/model on Comcast's list?

Two are pretty easy to come by at almost any retail outlet. Do not buy off ebay or such...many used units are actually stolen and won't be accepted by Comcast (their CMAC will show up as bogus to provision). You won't know until you try to get it provisioned...buy retail or oem.

The number one recommendation right now is the Zoom 5341J. You can nab one at Best Buy, Staples, plenty of places.

The other suggestion is a Motorola SurfBoard SB6121.

The Zoom is an 8x4 (8 channels down/4 up) versus the Motorola's 4x4 configuration.

You also probably can get a Cisco DPC 3008 fairly easily. That is also an 8x8 configuration. For a little while Comcast had some issues with this modem, but that appearsdue to a firmware update that caused problems. It has since been rolled back and all appears well.
--
Deeds, not words

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to hortnut
I have the Zoom 5341J that I bought at BestBuy for $80. Not to be confused with the Zoom 5341, which is an older item.

hortnut
Huh?

PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
Misunderstood. Not looking to buy a Modem at this time. Not sure when and if I will be moving to a new place and a different provider?

But have made note as to your recommendation and that of PeteC2 See Profile for the future when I am in more permanent digs.

Thank you.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My bad, someone didn't want to spend $7.00/month and owning the modem is the way out of that.

The modems I looked at were all Cable Labs certified and stated to work on all US cable systems. Said so right on the box.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to DaneJasper
The only time the modem rental makes sense is if you are not technical. My parents live an hour away from me and I get all the calls if there is a problem. I prefer to have them rent the modem because if there is an issue, Comcast will point to that almost all the time. If the modem is rented, they will dispatch a tech a lot quicker than if you own your own modem.

My advice to you is if you have a little techie knowledge like most do on this forum board, then buy your own modem and router. You will save money in about 2 years of renting the crap modem that Comcast provides.

Just my .02 cents.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to DaneJasper
All you are guaranteed is a modem with a single ethernet port on the back. If the rep has one that has wifi and you ask nicely he may install it, but it is not guaranteed. Furthermore you are expected to set the wifi up yourself or there is a $50-$150 install charge if the rep does it. Depending on your local areas policies.

If you have your own router I recommend using it anyway the combo wifi is junk and the range is less than that that of a 14lbs shotput.

zack514

reply to trythisfirst
said by trythisfirst :

you will all like this lol

The gateway device with wifi requires a code on the account to work. To put this code on the account it charges you a varying amount for wifi setup for up to I believe 5 computers. Technician can put the device in as a modem hard wired router, but if that gateway code is NOT present it will disable the wifi after a week or two. It's the stupidist GD thing i have ever seen. We get service calls all the time when the wifi goes out.

trythisfirst, sorry if I am not understanding you correctly. Can you tell me where to find out if the tech entered the 'gateway code' on my account? I want to make sure I do not have that problem. If the wifi goes off in a week or two theres going to be some upset people in the house. How exactly am I going to explain this to them? lol!

Thanks to the others who have replied on where to purchase my own if it comes to that.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
Only customer service or a tech with an open work order would be able to see it. It would say "WG gateway" under the products section of your account.

gapboy118

join:2005-10-09
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to DaneJasper
Dane, that device is available in our area, but it must be requested and an installation fee does apply. It is usually only offered to customers with phone and internet service. Otherwise, you will be offered a single port cable modem (data only) or eMTA (for phone service).

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
said by gapboy118:

Dane, that device is available in our area, but it must be requested and an installation fee does apply. It is usually only offered to customers with phone and internet service. Otherwise, you will be offered a single port cable modem (data only) or eMTA (for phone service).

Good data, thanks for the info! I think that I have a decent picture of what's likely to be delivered for the $7/mo.

-Dane