join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hortnut

Re: Does Comcast $7/mo modem include WiFi

said by hortnut:

Particular make/model on Comcast's list?

Two are pretty easy to come by at almost any retail outlet. Do not buy off ebay or such...many used units are actually stolen and won't be accepted by Comcast (their CMAC will show up as bogus to provision). You won't know until you try to get it provisioned...buy retail or oem.

The number one recommendation right now is the Zoom 5341J. You can nab one at Best Buy, Staples, plenty of places.

The other suggestion is a Motorola SurfBoard SB6121.

The Zoom is an 8x4 (8 channels down/4 up) versus the Motorola's 4x4 configuration.

You also probably can get a Cisco DPC 3008 fairly easily. That is also an 8x8 configuration. For a little while Comcast had some issues with this modem, but that appearsdue to a firmware update that caused problems. It has since been rolled back and all appears well.
--
Deeds, not words

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to hortnut

I have the Zoom 5341J that I bought at BestBuy for $80. Not to be confused with the Zoom 5341, which is an older item.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Misunderstood. Not looking to buy a Modem at this time. Not sure when and if I will be moving to a new place and a different provider?

But have made note as to your recommendation and that of PeteC2 See Profile for the future when I am in more permanent digs.

Thank you.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

My bad, someone didn't want to spend $7.00/month and owning the modem is the way out of that.

The modems I looked at were all Cable Labs certified and stated to work on all US cable systems. Said so right on the box.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to DaneJasper

The only time the modem rental makes sense is if you are not technical. My parents live an hour away from me and I get all the calls if there is a problem. I prefer to have them rent the modem because if there is an issue, Comcast will point to that almost all the time. If the modem is rented, they will dispatch a tech a lot quicker than if you own your own modem.

My advice to you is if you have a little techie knowledge like most do on this forum board, then buy your own modem and router. You will save money in about 2 years of renting the crap modem that Comcast provides.

Just my .02 cents.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to DaneJasper

All you are guaranteed is a modem with a single ethernet port on the back. If the rep has one that has wifi and you ask nicely he may install it, but it is not guaranteed. Furthermore you are expected to set the wifi up yourself or there is a $50-$150 install charge if the rep does it. Depending on your local areas policies.

If you have your own router I recommend using it anyway the combo wifi is junk and the range is less than that that of a 14lbs shotput.

zack514

join:2012-06-07
reply to trythisfirst

said by trythisfirst :

you will all like this lol

The gateway device with wifi requires a code on the account to work. To put this code on the account it charges you a varying amount for wifi setup for up to I believe 5 computers. Technician can put the device in as a modem hard wired router, but if that gateway code is NOT present it will disable the wifi after a week or two. It's the stupidist GD thing i have ever seen. We get service calls all the time when the wifi goes out.

trythisfirst, sorry if I am not understanding you correctly. Can you tell me where to find out if the tech entered the 'gateway code' on my account? I want to make sure I do not have that problem. If the wifi goes off in a week or two theres going to be some upset people in the house. How exactly am I going to explain this to them? lol!

Thanks to the others who have replied on where to purchase my own if it comes to that.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net

Only customer service or a tech with an open work order would be able to see it. It would say "WG gateway" under the products section of your account.

gapboy118

join:2005-10-09
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to DaneJasper

Dane, that device is available in our area, but it must be requested and an installation fee does apply. It is usually only offered to customers with phone and internet service. Otherwise, you will be offered a single port cable modem (data only) or eMTA (for phone service).

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

said by gapboy118:

Dane, that device is available in our area, but it must be requested and an installation fee does apply. It is usually only offered to customers with phone and internet service. Otherwise, you will be offered a single port cable modem (data only) or eMTA (for phone service).

Good data, thanks for the info! I think that I have a decent picture of what's likely to be delivered for the $7/mo.

-Dane