Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
reply to DaneJasper

Re: Does Comcast $7/mo modem include WiFi

I found this:

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···gateway/

So, it looks like maybe they do now offer a WiFi unit, but perhaps that's new, or not yet available.

-Dane

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
As mentioned, the general consensus is to stay away from 'gateway' devices (modem and router combined.) You have no control over the firmware of the router section, plus I wouldn't be surprised that Comcast could fully access all of the routers settings, including security and passwords. Although some of these may be able to be put into a bridge mode (bypass the internal router), it may be a hassle and require convincing Comcast of it.

If you want Comcast phone, then you mostly have to rent and use an eMTA. You can sometimes buy one, but only at full retail from certain Best Buy stores.

If you only want HSI, you are probably best off buying your own modem.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
said by andyross:

If you want Comcast phone, then you mostly have to rent and use an eMTA. You can sometimes buy one, but only at full retail from certain Best Buy stores.

What's an eMTA?

Best off is one thing - but most consumers won't do anything aside from the default, taking equipment from the provider. I'm trying to understand what that equipment IS.

-Dane

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
said by DaneJasper:

said by andyross:

What's an eMTA?

It's a modem that also handles cable phone service. Supposedly, due to 911 regulations (Comcast says), only approved devices can be connected to their system.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_M···pter#MTA

zack514

join:2012-06-07

2 edits
reply to DaneJasper
Dane, I just got comcast yesterday after being a DSL customer for the past 8 years. I specifically requested a wifi modem and knew they told me it would be a $7/ month rental fee which is fine with me because I really just didn't feel like bothering with it all even though everyone's advice is to buy your own router and save the monthly fee.

As for that modem, it works great for me. I have had no problems at all and I was even able to login to the control panel and personalize some settings.

EDIT: trythisfirst, what do you mean if the gateway code is not present it will disable the wifi after a week or two? So I can expect it all to go off in a week or two? What the heck is that all about?

Dane, I was referring to the modem in the link you posted here: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···gateway/ .

Now trythisfirst has me freaked out though.

zack514

join:2012-06-07

1 edit
reply to DaneJasper
Hopefully trythisfirst is not talking about the unit that I am using because all my devices are using the wifi from the modem.

(sorry about the double post, don't know how to delete my post here.)

gapboy118

join:2005-10-09
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to DaneJasper
Dane, that device is available in our area, but it must be requested and an installation fee does apply. It is usually only offered to customers with phone and internet service. Otherwise, you will be offered a single port cable modem (data only) or eMTA (for phone service).

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA
said by gapboy118:

Dane, that device is available in our area, but it must be requested and an installation fee does apply. It is usually only offered to customers with phone and internet service. Otherwise, you will be offered a single port cable modem (data only) or eMTA (for phone service).

Good data, thanks for the info! I think that I have a decent picture of what's likely to be delivered for the $7/mo.

-Dane