how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CluelessUser

join:2012-06-07

1 edit

[2K3] Net Use LPT1 Pain

In short, I'm having the same issue as this but for 2k3.
»support.microsoft.com/kb/826026

Multiple workstations connect to a terminal server. each has their own printer. need to use dos printing from an application.
used the following command and works (sort of). "NET USE LPT1 \\SERVER\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES"

USER1 LOGS IN, CAN PRINT FINE TO USER 1 PRINTER.
USER 2 LOGS IN, EVERYONE PRINTS TO USER2 PRINTER.
USER 3 LOGS IN, EVERYONE PRINTS TO USER3 PRINTER.

Annoying. Used to work on the 2000 machine, but not on the 2k3 machine.

Edit: Had originally started thread as anon... so if some kind admin could delete the other thread... Thanks!

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

Put a "NetUse" capture command in front of any print command. Switching default printer a couple hundred times a day will keep the server on it's feet. Also check for multiple copies of the printer on your server.
--
I feel more like I do now than when I first got here.

CluelessUser

said by SipSizzurp:

Put a "NetUse" capture command in front of any print command. Switching default printer a couple hundred times a day will keep the server on it's feet. Also check for multiple copies of the printer on your server.

Would love to do that... however we don't have access to the application code.

Was hoping someone had heard of a fix like the support article linked, but for 2k3.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to CluelessUser

My understanding is that "MS-DOS devices" are supposed to be restricted to the current logon session - so if you've got three sessions logged on to the server, there should be three separate LPT1s. Evidently that is not happening for you.

I wonder whether your problem is "/PERSISTENT:YES". This means you want the definition to persist beyond logout, which means it can't possibly be tied to the current logon session (if same user logs back on, it's a different logon session).

It sounds like you never needed /PERSISTENT:YES anyway, since the command is re-executed at logon. Try /PERSISTENT:NO.

CluelessUser

said by dave:

My understanding is that "MS-DOS devices" are supposed to be restricted to the current logon session - so if you've got three sessions logged on to the server, there should be three separate LPT1s. Evidently that is not happening for you.

I wonder whether your problem is "/PERSISTENT:YES". This means you want the definition to persist beyond logout, which means it can't possibly be tied to the current logon session (if same user logs back on, it's a different logon session).

It sounds like you never needed /PERSISTENT:YES anyway, since the command is re-executed at logon. Try /PERSISTENT:NO.

Great Idea... Didn't work...

Though my efforts did seem to confirm that all of the sessions are sharing the same LPT1 port that you suggested....

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the sessions to have their own port? Or what could possibly be broken to have them share it?

Stupid thing worked on our W2K server, wish we were able to migrate back.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Can you use LPT2 ?

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to CluelessUser

said by CluelessUser:

Multiple workstations connect to a terminal server. each has their own printer. need to use dos printing from an application.
used the following command and works (sort of). "NET USE LPT1 \\SERVER\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES"

USER1 LOGS IN, CAN PRINT FINE TO USER 1 PRINTER.
USER 2 LOGS IN, EVERYONE PRINTS TO USER2 PRINTER.
USER 3 LOGS IN, EVERYONE PRINTS TO USER3 PRINTER.

Are these printers USB printers on the local workstations that are shared at the server? Can you provide more details on the printer types and where, including port names and types, that they're attached and shared?

This article might help:
Printers that use ports that do not begin with COM, LPT, or USB are not redirected in a remote desktop or a terminal services session
»support.microsoft.com/kb/302361
--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

CluelessUser

said by angussf:

Are these printers USB printers on the local workstations that are shared at the server? Can you provide more details on the printer types and where, including port names and types, that they're attached and shared?

This article might help:

Printers that use ports that do not begin with COM, LPT, or USB are not redirected in a remote desktop or a terminal services session
»support.microsoft.com/kb/302361

Seen that article many times and a few others in many days of google searching... Very frustrating issue... to which there appears to be no solution. I've seen many other threads (not here) detailing the same problem with no luck on the result.

A potential cause mentioned here:
»forums.msterminalservices.org/Wi···270.html
Quote from thread: "The problem is that when you issue a 'net use' command, you are doing a
redirection at a very low level in the operating system, and therefore this
mapping becomes global. Hence, when one person issues the command things
will work right, but the next person to issue the command will override the
first person's mapping. Windows 2000 didn't do this, as you noticed. I
think Microsoft chose to do things this way to try and force people to rely
on the automatic priner and port mapping that comes with Windows Server 2003,
although unfortunately, manually mapping this in DOS mode are practically
impossible now."

But as for the general setup..

2 locations A and B, though issue was still present when machines were brought to the same location, but not needed since Latency from point A to B is non-existent.

Terminal Server at location A.
Client Machines at location B.
Each client machine has a printer attached via parallel port (LPT1).
Each client has their printer setup to be shared.
Outside of Dos, each machine prints to their own printers just fine on the TS. Dos program is silly hard coded to use LPT1... so a redirection is necessary.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Does the printer's checkbox in the following screenshot not work?

For me it's worked for any printer so its turned off so that servers I RDP to don't try to pick up a printer