uniqs
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Need help with DownloadHelper

I'm not sure if this should go here or another forum.

I've been watching Eureka on Netflix and the last episode of season 4 is not in the list. Fortunately it is on SyFy/Hulu as well as the current 4 episodes of the current season. My TV doesn't have Hulu support only Netflix and DLNA. I figure why not save the streaming video and send it over DLNA to the TV.

I looked around and found the Firefox extension DownloadHelper. It looks promising except it quits downloading at 156MB. I tried twice with the video player paused and it stopped at 156MB each time. Thinking maybe that's all it has buffered, I left the video playing while it downloaded, it stopped again at 156MB. That's three attempts of the same file, all stopping at 156MB.

The total file size of each attempt was 2GB and it was barely doing 75 KBps (I have 6 meg DSL here, it should go faster). It was going to take about 8 hours to save the file. I thought maybe because it was going so slow, the server closed the connection but on the third attempt, it quit before the video was done playing so I don't think it's because it was going to take longer than the video should play.

Any suggestions? Is it the program or the site? I've been trying SyFy's site, not Hulu. When I goto Hulu, all I see are the ads that play before the video starts, none of the downloadable files are the video itself.
JoelC707

JoelC707

Premium Member

So, something told me to open one of the 156MB files it saved and see what was there. I was expecting to see just a few minutes worth of video but no, it's the entire episode. Quality looks horrid compared to what I briefly saw on the actual stream and what I get from Netflix. Maybe I'll just drag my computer over to the TV and watch it streaming from the site. Still, I'm curious why it cut off like that and why the quality is so horrid.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Try a torrent...........don't imagine the extension was meant for full length streaming.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

That was my initial thought but I didn't want to have to wait on it to download, especially since I've only got 4 episodes left of what's on Netflix. I could potentially watch those tonight. Granted I could have a torrent download in a matter of minutes, it's just less predictable so I went for the "known" option. I might go for the torrent option anyway.