spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dchar
join:2009-06-07
Etobicoke, ON

dchar

[Internet] So when do we get IPv6?

Rollout day is past now, and still not even a hint of future IPv6 deployment from Bell. Is there any official timeline/ETA at all?

The Doctor
join:2011-11-25
Montreal,Qc

The Doctor

»www.itworldcanada.com/ne ··· l/143282
dchar
Etobicoke, ON

dchar

No timeline in there that I can see.

The Doctor
Montreal,Qc

The Doctor

sorry posted wrong url updated my previous post.

No idea when ipv6 will make it on bell network but knowing bell not anytime soon.
dchar
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

dchar

Another reason to switch, I guess.

The Doctor
Montreal,Qc

2 edits

The Doctor

ipv6 is still at an very early stage of it's life theirs no rush for it now but as more and more sites/providers move over to the new standard bell's hand will be forced but this will only happen when dual stack configuration start to be phased out.

Bell as very talented networks guys but unfourtunately the accountants are in charge at bell.

If was up to the networks guys i am sure it would be in the works.

»ipv6-test.com/
The Doctor

The Doctor

Found these 2 entries while doing some google searches guess bell is looking for ipv6 guru's

Senior Network Architect | BELL | Workopolis
www.workopolis.com/EN/job/13804440
7 May 2012 – Responsible for the Scope, Timelines and Quality associated with activities in Bell Canada's IPv6 program. Oversee the development of ...

Senior Network Architect at Bell in Toronto, ON - Job | LinkedIn
ca.linkedin.com/jobs/jobs-Senior-Network-Architect-2989215
8 May 2012 – Develop IPv6 strategies for internal Bell networks including ICN, ISN, NML. ... through Bell Mobility, Bell Internet, Bell TV, Bell Home Phone, Bell ...
desseb
join:2012-06-01
Ottawa, ON

2 recommendations

desseb

Word on the Business side is 2013, nothing clearer than that. One of the big problems is that afaik the 2wire is the only modem that even supports ipv6 and I don't know if the authentication equipment supports it either. Much of the consumer routers don't support ipv6 unless they were purchased in the last year or so, or flashed with a custom firmware (dd-wrt, tomato) that can provide the support.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

I_H8_Spam

Easy answer:

Once Bell figures out how they are gonna charge you for it.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

1 recommendation

InvalidError to The Doctor

to The Doctor
said by The Doctor:

ipv6 is still at an very early stage of it's life

IPv6 is 14 years old already, not quite that early IMO. Nearly all core and aggregation gear has had support for IPv6 for about half that long. Only things missing are full support on network edge equipment and CPE which are still limping along either because they are being lazy or greedy.

The Doctor
Montreal,Qc

1 recommendation

The Doctor

True it is 14 years old but as far mass deployment it's still in the very early stage should have phrased it different.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to dchar

to dchar
said by dchar:

Another reason to switch, I guess.

lol, why is that even a reason to switch?
ruggs
join:2012-03-26
Ontario

ruggs

apparently for him it is...

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to desseb

Premium Member

to desseb
said by desseb:

Word on the Business side is 2013, nothing clearer than that. One of the big problems is that afaik the 2wire is the only modem that even supports ipv6 and I don't know if the authentication equipment supports it either.

Not much of a problem. Rogers went through similar issues with internet upgrades when they were upgrading their equipment to DOCSIS 1.x. They simply started issuing new modems and set a cut over date. Bell can do it, it just means your bill might go up again.
Expand your moderator at work
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to desseb

to desseb

Re: [Internet] So when do we get IPv6?

said by desseb:

One of the big problems is that afaik the 2wire is the only modem that even supports ipv6 and I don't know if the authentication equipment supports it either. Much of the consumer routers don't support ipv6 unless they were purchased in the last year or so, or flashed with a custom firmware (dd-wrt, tomato) that can provide the support.

The VDSL2 CPE gear won't be an issue and anything reasonably new-ish for ADSL2+ will be OK as well. Regarding standalone routers I'd say 2 years and you're completely underestimating how many people have newer gear whether it's wired only or of the 11n wireless variety. Users without capable hardware will eventually have capable hardware through their own refresh cycle or if its ISP assigned either through stuff breaking and being replaced or replaced by the ISP through promo programs.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

1 recommendation

InvalidError

said by 34764170:

Users without capable hardware will eventually have capable hardware through their own refresh cycle

Still a shame that people still need to shop around for (often incomplete) IPv6 support if they want it when most equipment manufacturers have had ~10 years of experience implementing support for it in their carrier-grade equipment already. We might not see full IPv6 support trickle down to entry-level retail routers until 2014. Add maybe five more years for 'refresh' and we might be looking at 2020 for nearly universal IPv6 'stealth' adoption.

Many people on the IETF must be a little annoyed that IPv6 is going to take more than twice as long as originally expected from whitepaper to ubiquity at the rate things have been (not) progressing at the network edge.

aqk
join:2006-07-17
Elgin, QC

aqk to dchar

to dchar
Bell will move to IPV6 when Huawei tell them to.
By then the rest of the world will be on IPV7 or maybe even Vinton Cerf's Interplanetary network

Until then, I've disabled IPV6 on both my Windows and Linux network adaptor software. Someone told me the system runs faster this way. Is this true?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by aqk:

Bell will move to IPV6 when Huawei tell them to.
By then the rest of the world will be on IPV7 or maybe even Vinton Cerf's Interplanetary network

Until then, I've disabled IPV6 on both my Windows and Linux network adaptor software. Someone told me the system runs faster this way. Is this true?

Huawei has no influence over whether Bell rolls out IPv6 or not and when that will be.

What Vint is talking about with the interplanetary networks is a set of protocols that will sit on top of IPv6.

If's not faster if it's not supporting IPv6. Making no sense.