share rss forum feed

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to f0rtys3ven

Re: [Rant] SPREADSHEETs

Access does to pivot charts. Much better than Excel in my opinion.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
spoke with my boss and I guess the company may have some access liscences and if it already does Pivot charts we will look into that. Our data mining effort started with my arrival a little over a year ago and we have set up roughly 20 different tables of stats data to pull from. They have varied ages of data. The first 4 I created are just now at a year old and I have had to implement a little pruning and summarizing on those. Some of the tables will be VERY big by the time they get a year so Access may be the way to go.

Thanks ALOT geek!
--
Call it evil that men do, lord forgive me for what my pen do
This is for your sins, I cleanse you. You can repent but I warn you, if you continue. To hell I’ll send you.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to joako
As a dude who gets paid to deal with Access databases and their baggage... Please stay away. Don't do it.

Eventually, the process you've made gets to be business-crucial. Then you get a promotion to the head office three states over. Or get hit by a milk truck. Or retire.

Then when Access craps itself, and if you don't think it does, you're deluding yourself, you're up a creek.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to joako
You can use excel to connect to an access db, excel will generate the pivot tables.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to joako
csv

(cool story, vro)

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to drew
said by drew:

As a dude who gets paid to deal with Access databases and their baggage... Please stay away. Don't do it.

Eventually, the process you've made gets to be business-crucial. Then you get a promotion to the head office three states over. Or get hit by a milk truck. Or retire.

Then when Access craps itself, and if you don't think it does, you're deluding yourself, you're up a creek.

Access is great as a front end. Never use it as a back end though.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
said by thegeek:

I never let anyone access my back end...

NTTAWWT, of course...

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to thegeek
said by thegeek:

What's so good about it? Yes you can do some quick and dirty data entry easily, but for anything more writing a proper front-end from the scratch in VB.NET or C# will yield a much better product for about the same effort (if not less).

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
I develop in both... and there's no way that even VB.NET is as easy or more easy than Access.

Access' strong point is the fact that there are 101 wizards for everything and hooking it up to data is point-and-click that even my non-programmer, non-interested wife can figure out.

Access is the bastard stepchild of the Office suite. It IS a good idea, but companies don't set strong policies about its use and support. No LOB apps should ever be access-driven. PoC it in Access as the business analyst, get management buy in that this needs to happen and hand it off to the IT/IS department for proper development.
--

thegeek
Premium
right here
Access is great for the simple fact that IT doesn't support it. Meaning if I need a simple front end for gathering and manipulating some data and don't want to wait for forever and a day for IT to create something halfassed in VB.NET then I can just do it myself in Access and be set.

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
You don't quite connect the dots.

It's great for you, great for your manager. For like the next year. And then the whole thing outgrows itself and now since Access databases can't be backed up when it's open, and you're working three shifts, it shits the bed and you have no backup.
--

thegeek
Premium
right here
you missed the part where access is not storing any information. it is only a front end. no access back end. i use a db2 back end. if, for some odd reason, the front end gets corrupted, you simply copy and paste it again from the network folder.