uniqs

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

Motorola SB6141 thoughts?

I am on wideband 50/5 in nyc and already confirmed with escalation center (l3) that i am allowed to provision this modem (Motorola SB6141). But I wanted to know if anyone around here has this modem and whether there is anything I should know any problems and good things?

I understand tw may block me out of accessing the modem and they push their own firwmare for the modems as well right?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

I have the modem, been running it since April. Was not to difficult to provision.

I am running it on Extreme with no issues.

it has the same firmware on it since I took it out of the box. They generally only push new firmware if Motorola releases it and they test it to make sure it works on their network okay.

A cable company can customize different things about it if they want, like LED colors on the front but i dont think TW has done any of this.

I can see status pages just fine.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to kilrathi

to kilrathi
I have it at home, no problems. Like it was never there a dumb device with no configuration options... perfect for my needs.

Getting 50/5 all the time
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

I can attest to easy provision, and it seems to work in my non Docsis 3 area, but I was getting some slowdowns in the evenings, but I believe that was due to congestion possibly or bad speedtest servers. Other than that it works well and I like having more info like channel ids and codeword stats available to me.
ftarz
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
Raleigh, NC

ftarz

Premium Member

I too just installed one this past Friday to replace my old SB5120. TW didn't give me any grief. They scanned to SB6141's MAC address bar code and said I was ready to go.

But when I got home the modem still wouldn't connect. I had to call TW support, spend 15 minutes with a low-level tech running all the same tests that I had already done and finally get bumped to a level 3 tech. He put the new modem's MAC in another entry field and like magic I was up and running with no change on my speed.

The only strange issue was that I initially got a RoadRunner IP address but I'm an Earthlink customer. A couple of power-cycles and I was set.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

said by ftarz:

but I'm an Earthlink customer.

Just wanted to point this out, it probably doesnt matter though.

»Earthlink Cable
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to ftarz

Premium Member

to ftarz
Earthlink isn't offering wideband (yet), so a D3 modem isn't really getting you anything. Also, they don't charge anything for a "rented" modem, so there's no reason to go buy your own.
ftarz
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

ftarz to CptGemini

Premium Member

to CptGemini
Yeah, I know that this isn't the Earthlink forum, but my Earthlink cable does come over TW cable and I even pay the bill to TW. When TW provides native IPV6 in the Raleigh area I'll get it too.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Actually, no you won't. We (elink customers) will get IPv6 (and wideband) when Earthlink, Inc. negotiates new contracts and/or terms.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by cramer:

Actually, no you won't. We (elink customers) will get IPv6 (and wideband) when Earthlink, Inc. negotiates new contracts and/or terms.

Is earthlink any different routing wise for you, compared to TW?
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

It's not about routing. It's all about a CONTRACT. Until Earthlink changes that contract, there's no wideband or IPv6.

Are you given a TWC IP? No. We get one from EARTHLINK. Specifically around here:
Earthlink, Inc. ERLK-CBLE-TW-MSOUTH (NET-24-136-128-0-1) 24.136.128.0 - 24.136.255.255
EARTHLINK, INC ERLK-TW-RALEIGH26 (NET-24-136-224-0-1) 24.136.224.0 - 24.136.255.255

(At minimum, Earthlink needs to provide IPv6 prefixes for us. My headend is responding "no prefixes" currently.)

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by cramer:

It's not about routing. It's all about a CONTRACT.

I know those features do not have anything to do with routing, I was asking in general, does Earthlink have different routing compared to a TW connection? I have never used one so I have never been able to test.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Not after the first hop. You're passing through exactly the same hardware. It's not done the same way reseller DSL is/was done (ATM or L2TP trunks)

As best I can tell, Earthlink has only one IPv6 prefex: 2001:4840::/32 And they don't appear to be using it anymore.
ftarz
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

ftarz to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
TW support told me that some sort of deal between Earthlink and TW is in the works. He kept saying something about TW buying stuff from Earthlink. Swore that Earthlink customers over TW cable would be the same as RR customers, IP addresses and all.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

So anyone have tips whats the best department to call to get the modem provisioned? I called last week thursday to L3 escalation center, they verified my modem is on accepted device list and I gave its HFC mac address. I was told that it will take up to 72 business hours for the modem to be added to the list(I laugh but I said oh well I will wait since tw is also working on a signal issue with my locaton so there is no rush).

However, today is tuesday and its well past 72 business hours since I called, when I called yesterday the person told me it should be added any moment by end of the day yesterday.... and still not done... so instead of wasting my time with L3 escalation center should I call billing? Anyone done it easy in NYC through the phone? thanks.
kilrathi

kilrathi

Premium Member

Finally got 6141 provisioned here are signals currently: