spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

subdivisions

@optonline.net

FiOS Updates Speed.. What will CV do to counter?

New 300/65 tier, dropping price on 150/65 tier etc...

Will CV Care or do something to counter? I know they can't do much as there pretty much slammin the Docsis 3 as we speak..

root

join:2002-12-11
said by subdivisions :

New 300/65 tier, dropping price on 150/65 tier etc...

Will CV Care or do something to counter? I know they can't do much as there pretty much slammin the Docsis 3 as we speak..

"Slammin the docsis 3 as we speak.." what does that even mean? As DOCSIS 3 supports 8 bonded channels there is plenty of room.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to subdivisions
IF I saw the prices right doesnt it make fios more expensive?

For most non techie customers as long as the speed is fast enough they would rather go with the cheapest.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to subdivisions
said by subdivisions :

Will CV Care or do something to counter?

No.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to root
Get back to me when CV provides 65 Mbps UPload like Fios does.

Ken Peterson
Premium
join:2000-12-08
kudos:3
reply to subdivisions
It's great that we have choices, and have the luxury of such choices.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
150/65Mbps is pretty nice and if I could get it for a reasonable price then sure i'd jump on it but my 50/8Mbps now is pretty good so i'm set there. In reality, I don't do much uploading so 8Mbps is good enough for everyone (my friends) that need a copy of their files off my server. They'll store class work/papers and even pictures/videos there for backup purposes.

If CV wants a lil "me too" they can do a 75/25 and a 150/50 plan. Bump the first plan to say 20/5 and still have FiOS beat on the low end which is where most people are anyways.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to subdivisions
Once the digital conversion is complete across entire footprint they will continue to upgrade speeds and service. The two most popular tiers from cv are already a better value than fios, IMO.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
reply to subdivisions
said by subdivisions :

Will CV Care or do something to counter?

CV already has this service, and had it for years: it's called Lightpath, and I think they're delivering up to 1 Gbps symmetric at this point.

As far as the "Cable" side of the business is concerned:

No, it's unlikely that they'll care or do something, because the market for 800 BHP super cars is so damn small, and CV is not Koenigsegg.

Remember how the cold war was really won behind the scenes? We let the russians bleed themselves dry (their military spending part of their GNP reached unsustainable levels) during the cold war by making them believe we had soooooo many more warheads than them and creating "missile envy", which they promptly fell for, as they had no concept of "cost of ownership" and believed there was no ceiling for military spending through availability of unlimited (slave) labor.

CV has every reason to not try to keep up with VZ/FIOS's fluff here - it's a trap for the Cable-side of the business.

The market for pricy 150++ Mbps service users must be less than 1 in 1000, including residential users, and probably less than 1 in 100 business users (remember: most businesses are small/medium size).

The resources required to accommodate the top-end of the market requires canibalization of resources away from the other 999 customers to get there.

Even if there is no canibalization, the same resources could instead be invested for the 999 - and the ROI and profits on that are likely much better.

To keep up with the Joneses here, you'd have to make more profit with that 0.1% of customers than you're losing from the 99.9% by not investing into them - and you know how pissed people here get if they don't get 120% of what they think they're entitled to.

root

reply to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

Give me one legitimate reason you need 65 Mbps upload at home...torrents or "servers" don't count.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

And why exactly are torrents or servers not legitimate reason for faster upload?

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to root
said by root:

said by aannoonn :

Give me one legitimate reason you need 65 Mbps upload at home...torrents or "servers" don't count.

Backing up my hard drive to an online backup service (aka "the cloud").

root

said by aannoonn :

said by root:

said by aannoonn :

Backing up my hard drive to an online backup service (aka "the cloud").

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't aware there were online backup services out there that require 65 Mbps upload...

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to aannoonn
It's nice for that initial backup, but after you initially back up your HD do you have that many files changing that need to be uploaded to a backup storage that 65 Mbps would really help (assuming you have it set up to back up files while idle and not just arbitrarily whether in use or not).

Not that I'm against faster speeds, but I don't think they're going to do a drastic revamp of speeds now, and I don't think that CV necessarily needs to compete with their top speed tier at this time.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

3 recommendations

reply to root
said by root:

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't aware there were online backup services out there that require 65 Mbps upload...

Why does it have to "require"?
With your logic you should just go back to dial up because no service "requires" specific bandwidth. It's 'for optimal performance'.
Stop being Jealous Nancy. You are acting like an AT&T exec.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to root
said by root:

said by aannoonn :

Don't know why they wouldn't count but I work from home a lot editing video files and then uploading them to the streaming server at work and need all the upload I can afford (have 35/35 on Verizon now). That was the only reason I left OOL for FIOS was the upload speeds available.
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

cvtech

@charter.com
said by mack1951:

said by root:

said by aannoonn :

Don't know why they wouldn't count but I work from home a lot editing video files and then uploading them to the streaming server at work and need all the upload I can afford (have 35/35 on Verizon now). That was the only reason I left OOL for FIOS was the upload speeds available.

well if you need 65mbit upload, you should prolly just switch to Fios....who cares what cablevision is going to do. If you "need" it, then just switch if the 15mbit upload on Ultra isn't enough.

root

reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

said by root:

Why does it have to "require"?
With your logic you should just go back to dial up because no service "requires" specific bandwidth. It's 'for optimal performance'.
Stop being Jealous Nancy. You are acting like an AT&T exec.

His logic is basically implying Cablevision is worthless until one of their tiers has 65 Mbps upload like fios has...when in reality 99.9% of Cablevision customers would never even come close to spiking that high transmit.

What do I have to be jealous of? You act like I give a shit about someone elses upload speed. I have enough patience for the one or two times I do offsite backups to let it go overnight and have it be done in the morning. First world problems eh?

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to subdivisions
Why backup to the 'Cloud" (don't you hate that word? It's just a cutesy name for Server) when you can backup to an external USB3 drive or the like?

We all know that Torrent users are the loudest proponents of faster upload speeds. A Pirate's life for me. Ar, Ar, Ar, Aye Matey.

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

1 recommendation

said by Tradewind:

Why backup to the 'Cloud" (don't you hate that word? It's just a cutesy name for Server) when you can backup to an external USB3 drive or the like?

Because if you backup to an external hard drive and something happens to both your computer and that hard drive (like a fire), you have no backup. If you backup to the cloud, you have an offsite backup.

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
65mbit upload is overkill for offsite backup. like frdizzt said, might be nice for the "first backup" but after that it's really just pointless. But again, if you "need" it, Fios is always an option.

TheMole

join:2001-12-06
USA

1 edit
from what I understand, most backup cloud services won't support 65 up to them. they need to manage multiple connections. (I could be wrong!)

i've been paying cable vision $188 or so per month for 5 years, no fios in my complex.

i'm moving and have switched to Fios. luckily, i'll have a choice. in two years when my fios bill goes up - i'll call CV and switch for a better price. then switch back a year or two later.

competition is a wonderful.

the speed isn't necessary - but the competition between verizon and the cablecos has given us this speed we have today. so i'm happy to take it at a reasonable price.

i use like the speed so that i can connect to my corporate vpn and work at home as if i'm in the office - remote desktop makes me feel as if i'm right there.

--
(1) It's either 99¢ or $0.99; not .99¢ (2) It's "so MUCH fun" not "so fun"

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to root
said by root:

I'm sure people said similar things about 28.8 kbps dial-up modems. "Who would ever need 28.8 kbps?!"

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to Tradewind
said by Tradewind:

I backup to a 1 TB external hard drive. But that won't do me much good if my house burns down or if the drive is stolen.

And ShockTech, I'm simply saying that Cablevision is unable to compete with Fios' top-tier uploads.

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
reply to xirian
The cloud could get hit by lightning or a flood -- about the same chances as a fire. The external backup solution is just as practical and safe as some fancy-schmancy cloud IMO.

And you can always store your loaded USB drives in your private safety-deposit box in your bank's vault.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit
said by Rojo:

The cloud could get hit by lightning or a flood -- about the same chances as a fire. The external backup solution is just as practical and safe as some fancy-schmancy cloud IMO.

This is just really untrue, especially if you go with a well run and respected backup company.

They most likely have backups of your backups (perhaps even in multiple locations), or at the very least, redundant data for errors. In addition, these places are data centers that have sophisticated fire suppression and prevention systems (just looking at one case you pointed out). Yes, you can never be sure your data will never be lost, but a remote backup solution is always better than local backups alone.

Not that this really has anything to due with the OP, though...

As for the speeds, it's great NY finally has competition for internet. For a long time it was 640/90 Verizon DSL or dial-up. Then it was 10/1 cable or might-as-well-be-dialup DSL. Now we finally have competitive packages from both companies. The 60/8 speed tests that have been posted here the past few months had me thinking about switching back to OOL. But for me, 10+Mbps upload is a must as I transfer a lot of content, and now with the prospect of a really reasonable rate for 150/65, it'll definitely be hard for CV to catch up.

Whether they need to catch up or not is another story. I don't think, outside of a few power users, people will care. Verizon can brag about 300Mbps in their commercials, but the majority of people will likely end up on the base package.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

JDolan

@ptd.net
Majority of users look at the price and don't really care about the speed!
CV is offering two similar tiers around 15-20 dollars less. That sells more than the higher speeds.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

And ShockTech, I'm simply saying that Cablevision is unable to compete with Fios' top-tier uploads.

False. They offer 10gbps symmetric. More accurately: Fios is unable to compete with Cablevision's top-tier uploads.

»optimumlightpath.com/internet
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY

1 recommendation

said by jaa:

said by aannoonn :

False. They offer 10gbps symmetric. More accurately: Fios is unable to compete with Cablevision's top-tier uploads.

»optimumlightpath.com/internet

It would be nice if consumer & business sides of a company were compared accurately & not a whole corporate umbrella. Yeah Optimum Lightpath (Cablevision) offers 10gbps & so does Verizon business (Verizon), I'm sure they do symmetrical too:

»www.verizonbusiness.com/Products···ails.xml

Now to the consumer product side, Optimum Online & FIOS, well FIOS right now does have better uploads. I'm sure Optimum Online will be moving as fast as it can so is can start bonding channels for upload, just a matter of time.
Expand your moderator at work