HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

[Northeast] My FIOS install

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So I am in 11208 in Brooklyn, and due to a boo boo by Verizons website I was able to get the 150/65 Mbps, Ultimate HD and Digital Voice for $129.99 a month with a $500 gift card!!!

Today was my install day. I live in an apartment a 102 yea old building. 2 Floor walk-up. 1 Bed. Livingroom isn't that big but ok for me.

Installer called me at 8:25 said she would be here in 25 minutes. 2 minutes later she called back saying she had an emergency service call and would be here in 2 hours.

9:35 she showed up with another tech.

From 9:40 or so to 11:55 they worked on the outside of my apartment, installing the ONT and running the loop. The guy tech and female tech briefly argued who should climb the latter. They decided with the guy tech since he weighed less. It was fun watching the ladder wobble.

At 11:56 they came up stairs told me they were going to lunch and would be back at 1.

12:50 they were back, 12:59 they got out the truck. Yes I timed them I was anxious to get my internet and tv and phone!!! You would of timed them too!!!

For another hour or so they worked outside installing the ONT. They couldn't fit the cable into it and ended up opening another one and the cable seemed to fit easier.

2:15 they headed up into my apartment and decided to go the 2 piece route, as my outlet was far from where the cables entered the apt.

3:05, they finished the installation of the battery pack (2 piece).

When they tried to activate the internet it wouldn't activate. Turns out since I was on the 150/65 plan they needed to run another cable (cat 5e) into the apartment directly to the modem. Which they did and BAM after optimizing my PC I was downloading 98Mbps down. I won't do the full 150 on this notebook as it doesn't support it but my desktop does. (still moving stuff).

They finished running that line around 5:15. They actually had to wait for a 2nd tuck to be rolled out to do that, as I don't think they had the cable. They had to actually take the battery pack off the wall to run the cable again.

They then started to activate my Setop boxes, but neither would activate. She switched them out and they activated fast.

I actually had fun with them, the Verizon installers were friendly and they tried to make the entire process painless, although I think my landlord was annoyed.

They were happy I don't have furniture in the living room yet.
Grover8
join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

Grover8

First of all congrats!

You're going to love everything FiOS has to offer, except for the price hike so your contract is good for 2 years.

Since you ordered the 150/65 service, I'm not sure if you got the correct ONT. Looks like a Moto with 1g but I haven't been keeping up on the installs to know. When most of us ordered the 150/65 bundle back in Dec they were giving out the Alcatel.

Anyways, once you have the desktop up and running you should be able to tell if you got the correct speed provision. If not then good luck with verizon tech support.

Other than that you should have gone with the free dvr for life. it's worth it in the long run.

Oh btw what Router they verizon give you?

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek
quick unpack that desktop!!!
edit wait a min! ain't that the girl tech on the ladder?

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

They gave me the actiontec router.

How can I be sure I have the right ONT? I am getting 98 - 99 down when connected to the router directly on this notebook.
HardwareGeek

HardwareGeek to fatal

to fatal
In the pic posted of them on the side of the building the girl is on the ladder but the one where you see the ladder on the cable, the guy is.
HardwareGeek

HardwareGeek

Click for full size
Forgot to attach that pic, attached here.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to HardwareGeek

Premium Member

to HardwareGeek
Thanks for the pics! I'll have Verizon service hooked up to the place I'm moving soon. Gives me an idea of the process since I'm not sure what they need for the ONT. I'm going to offer my tech(s) lunch, order-in or something. We have a nice backyard they can relax for lunch or whatever too. Those guys are usually nice in the area and work alot!

I saw the thread with the 150/65 error on the order page. Congrats for the next 2 years! I'll probably take that package in the future but I'm good with 35/35 .
nxtiak
join:2008-08-06
Perris, CA

nxtiak to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek
Make sure you have the latest Actiontec REV I, that is black and RED coloring it. That supports gigabit ports, so you can go over 100mbps.
If not, you won't get over 100mbits with the old Actiontec routers.

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

HardwareGeek

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I attached pics of the modem. It's the black and red.

@Vathral I offered them food and drinks and they wouldn't take them, made me wonder if they aren't allowed too.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Verizon techs are not allowed to accept any tips or gifts - a beer is a big no-no.....A glass of water or non-alcoholic beverage is fine......

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek
Suggest editing the last part of your offer please. Since there are pictures of the techs

Anon101
@tvc-ip.com

Anon101 to HardwareGeek

Anon

to HardwareGeek
I am guessing you changed your logon password and key by now... being that it is displayed on the Actiontek adapter label.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

Verizon techs are not allowed to accept any tips or gifts - a beer is a big no-no.....A glass of water or non-alcoholic beverage is fine......

Ah. That's good to know.

I can't tell because of the picture of the router but can it be laid down flat horizontally? Looks like that base can be removed.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by Tokidoki:

said by nycdave:

Ah. That's good to know.

I can't tell because of the picture of the router but can it be laid down flat horizontally? Looks like that base can be removed.

It can be laid flat, but it's best to leave it upright (vertically) for the release of heat from it. Less risk of overheating that way.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to Anon101

Premium Member

to Anon101
said by Anon101 :

I am guessing you changed your logon password and key by now... being that it is displayed on the Actiontek adapter label.

paranoid much?

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

removed reference to the beverage, and changed the password while they were still here.

Although it was confusing, when you login it adds characters to the password field. Had me scratching my head for a minute.

kryptonian
join:2005-09-14
Philadelphia, PA

kryptonian to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek
interesting.....I have the same router as you. Yet, I dont have ethernet attached to the WAN port. My PC connection is on one of the LAN ports. Obviosuly the tech did this for a reason, but I wonder what the difference is?

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

I believe it was because I am on the 150 tier. They actually had to dismount the entire setup just to run a cat 5e cable that is connected to the wan port on the router. Before that the internet wouldn't even work and they said it was because I was on the 150 tier.
HardwareGeek

HardwareGeek to kryptonian

to kryptonian
Just to be clear that cable goes from the ONT outside the apartment to the router.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to kryptonian

MVM,

to kryptonian
said by kryptonian:

interesting.....I have the same router as you. Yet, I dont have ethernet attached to the WAN port. My PC connection is on one of the LAN ports. Obviosuly the tech did this for a reason, but I wonder what the difference is?

Just MoCA WAN vs CAT5 WAN.

MoCA is only supported on up to the 50Mbps tier (maybe the new 75Mbps tier too). If you order 150/35, they'll switch you over to gigabit Ethernet to get full speeds.

kryptonian
join:2005-09-14
Philadelphia, PA

kryptonian

Ahh I see, thanks for the clarification folks! Well compared to you HardwareGeek, i'm on measly 25/25 lol. Congrats on your new install!

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

Someone said I can't wall mount the router, you can it even comes with a template to wall mount.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Who said that?

If you wall mount it, the preferred orientation is portrait (long side perpendicular to the floor), same way as it stands on the base. It allows the most heat dissipation.

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

Sorry I misread.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson to HardwareGeek

Premium Member

to HardwareGeek
When Verizon first started FiOS installs in NY, there was an issue about how the techs were grounding the ONT's - an issue that ended up causing the company to research the initial installs and often send techs back out to inspect and reinstall the ground wires. The ground in your picture is visibly attached to that metal pipe/conduit - does anyone know if its up to NY's spec?

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

No idea if it's up to NY Spec but Cablevision also has their ground on that pole.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Your ONT is a GPON Motorola GT4, its whats required for 150M service in your area. Your router is fine, its the REV-I Actiontech, and both ethernet and COAX is required for 150M service. The ground they used is OKAY per specs, enjoy.

Also, to wall mount, the little rubber pieces on the bottom of router should be removed.

Sent you PM, please check messages geek.

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

Thanks!
clrana9017
join:2009-05-12

clrana9017 to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek
Cypress Hill area has FiOS? Oh, you're so lucky. I've been wired and still not lit in 11225/11203 for the longest time. This Optimum domination is killing me. Congrats, though!

rpjoe
Premium Member
join:2007-09-22
Rochelle Park, NJ

rpjoe to HardwareGeek

Premium Member

to HardwareGeek
creepy