Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lakebottom
Future Fishermen are Friendly

join:2006-10-28
Sylvan Lake, AB

[AB] Cost effectiveness being evaluated

We are reviewing the costs of a bundle of three services from Shaw for the girlfriends house. She tells me the bill is now 172 a month for 'electronic services.....OMG. All of those luring discounts are over. I told her to scale back on the TV packs and then we will probably down grade back to 20Mbs, because the cost of 50 Mbs broadband is way out to lunch for what they deliver.....inconsistency. In my opinion the TV is just outrageous and if were up to me basic cable is "OK". The phone seems OK....no real problems technically.

172 is like a new car payment........and I can't see the benefit of all this access......when useless crap like 'Facebook' is part of your Pop culture......I mean seriously is it that much of a Marvel...or is it electronic gossip. I have seen some real crap on my girlfriends account, that thinking back...why would anybody want to waste their life in front of this gossip crap......what real value is in reading about somebody Else's life at the sacrifice of your own life.
I laugh when phone companies use Facebook as an excuse to buy a data phone. I mean really....'Get a life'

JMHO LG
--
Alberta Lakes belong to all Albertans, not just the developers!

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Have her, for a week, record every channel number that gets watched.

Then, find the different packages that have these channels, rather than looking at the packages that have channels that might be watched.

Phone, depends if the features are needed, as to which plan.

Internet - only you can really decide how much speed you need. See if they will let you keep a DOCSIS 3 modem, I personally could never get 20mbps with the 51xx modem
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
reply to Lakebottom

I pared my bill down 4-5 months ago to around 120ish. I have mostly the channels I want.

I cancelled HBO because the bundle with channels I have zero interest in (Movie Central?) is overly expensive. Not interested in paying 17-18 dollars for one channel.

I also had to ditch AMC because they put it into a pack of "movie" channels that I also don't want at all. Not going to pay $10 for just AMC.

Thankfully I can fit 100mbps service into that price.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Lakebottom

I pay 124.90/month.

BB50 + Personal TV + Best of HD + Basic Phone.

I think that package would be $15 more a month if you subscribed to it now. So $150 before taxes?

It's ok. It's a good mix of channels. Even if you don't use HD, best of HD includes the SD versions. It could be cheaper then buying a bunch of packs to get the channels. For me Best of HD includes all the core channels we want.

Lakebottom

Sylvan Lake, AB
reply to Lakebottom

The GF slashed some TV packs this week. I will sit down and recommend more cuts. The digital world does not need to consume two work days a month of her life.
TV is basically an addiction which actually has a detrimental effect on human health. Why would a person allow themselves to become obese, so they can watch the discovery channel and gossip on Facebook......'Get a grip....its not real......its advertising linked to an addiction'

A slave to an addiction is really a surrender of a persons freedom. A person has 'ONE' life and if its squandered, then don't come for the 'Free Lunch' cause you ate it already when you paid SHAW.

--

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Shaw

TV is atrocious.

Now that most channels are owned by Shaw, Bell and Rogers it's getting ridiculous on the commercials side:

Most of the channels are now synced commercials.
So we pay our TV providers outrageous prices for service hookup, and considering 30% of supplied content are commercials, the same companies who are also content providers are double-penetrating us.

The channel packs are an insult to your intelligence,
every single pack is built around one core-popular channel and a bunch of no-one-ever-heard-of-or-can-enjoy-ever bogus broadcasts.

There's no reason to pay for TV... I think I'm close to cutting it...

And on a side note, I've averaged 80GB/Mo on my BB100 - so I should probably cut that to HS10.

45.00/Mo for HS10??? FFS Extreme-I used to be $35 when bundled with $30 basic TV...

The most irony in the price increases is that the actual cost of delivery folded 4 times down since they first came out with DOCSIS technology.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01

said by ilianame:

The most irony in the price increases is that the actual cost of delivery folded 4 times down since they first came out with DOCSIS technology.

This isn't fully technically true, IMO.

When DOCSIS launched nodes would have 2500+ customers on them. Now they're far smaller. That is a lost of cost in hardware deployed.

When DOCSIS launched there was 1 upstream and 1 downstream channel, now there is 4 upstream and 8 downstream. (Modems are now coming out that support 8 upstream and 24 downstream).

So you can see that companies are having to deploy 10x the cable equipment. So even if the equipment costs dropped by 90% they'd only be breaking even.

I don't agree with a 4 fold decrease in cost of delivery, personally. That's just my take on it.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

Well, what you think about the coax they had to change when they rolled out the DOCSIS?
I'm thinking that was the biggest initial cost, aside from other-end hardware, provisioning system and staff training.

Back in the pre-Internet days of coax, cables were thin and single-shielded. They've replaced most wiring already to the newer thicker cables. I doubt they will need to have another complete replacement to even thicker coax.
The only reasonable wiring I can foresee any ISP's installing in the future is fiber.

Plus they don't have to provide network cards anymore =)

Obviously I cannot guesstimate how many folds their delivery costs went down. But it is a rule of business that more customers typically mean less cost per customer. Same as the hardware needed has been proven, software systems designed and bugtracked, support personnel trained and SOP got it's kinks worked out. (All as compared to when cable companies decided to offer Internet service)

Lakebottom

Sylvan Lake, AB
reply to Lakebottom

Well she talked to Ms. Shaw and she scaled back to Basic phone, one theme pack and 10 MBs Internet service...105 bucks.

Well its a start. Telus is advertising 45 bucks for 6 months for about the same and then back to 95 bucks. Its a 'Pain in the A$$', to switch and wait for technicians.....so we will try this for now.

--

somedudehere

@telus.net
reply to ilianame

said by ilianame:

TV is atrocious.

Now that most channels are owned by Shaw, Bell and Rogers it's getting ridiculous on the commercials side:

So we pay our TV providers outrageous prices for service hookup, and considering 30% of supplied content are commercials, the same companies who are also content providers are double-penetrating us.

every single pack is built around one core-popular channel and a bunch of no-one-ever-heard-of-or-can-enjoy-ever bogus broadcasts.

I must agree with this, the commercials are out of control at times and the packages are getting to pricey.

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
reply to Lakebottom

Telus has a 10/10/10 for 12 months deal

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to somedudehere

I will agree with this as well.

I was asking a Shaw rep about adding the missing HD channels from HD Plus (Space, Discovery, and Bravo), it is cheaper, and have way less commericals to add the 5 Movie Central channels (think it is 5 now).

5 commerical free channels, is cheaper than 3 commerical filled ones.....

-Posted from my phone.

Mac Write

join:2004-10-13
New Westminster, BC
reply to Lakebottom

All this talk of how bad TV is is making me want to go ahead and launch "TVholic Anonymous the Alcoholic Anonymous of the world. I have banishtv.com vBulletin Suite, just next help to launch it. You guys are making me want to do it.

I agree TV is a deadly drug.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to ilianame

said by ilianame:

TV is atrocious.

And on a side note, I've averaged 80GB/Mo on my BB100 - so I should probably cut that to HS10.

45.00/Mo for HS10??? FFS Extreme-I used to be $35 when bundled with $30 basic TV...

I just cut my shaw phone and extra tv packs already, I am down to just the Broadband 50/Personal TV package now. Under $100 a month. I'd gladly use Shaw';s TV channels if they streamed them online for no additional cost. The Shaw VOD is a Terrible interface online and on their Gateway Terminal.

Lakebottom

Sylvan Lake, AB
reply to Mac Write

TV is the downfall of western society! How many Chinese watch the crap and waste the time we do on 'watching TV?'
--

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC

You can have my Breaking Bad when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.