uniqs
share rss forum feed

netwire
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Shelby, NC
kudos:1

[Equipment] Switching account's on iPhone 4s

Greetings, my mother-in-law has an iPhone 4S on her account which she no longer want's to use because she did not like the phone. I asked her if I could borrow it to test it out. Currently I have the Galaxy Nexus on my own account with the unlimited data plan. What I was hoping to do is take one of her old verizon phones and swap it out with her iPhone essentially removing it from her account. Then I would go online and swap my Galaxy Nexus to the iPhone and activate it with my own iTunes account. Am I wrong in assuming this is what needs to be done? Also, would I retain my unlimited data or lose it?
--
The above nonsense was brought to you in part by Netwire. Your premier internet discussion board information and solutions provider.

purwater
Premium
join:2002-10-25
Bluefield, VA

Yeah this is what you'll need to do. I did the same thing for my mom a few months back. Should go smoothly and you should keep your unlimited data. I did and nothing changed on my account.

Shrapnel64
Premium
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA
reply to netwire

I had a similar situation. I wanted to upgrade to the 4G LTE network from my iPhone 4, so I picked up a Galaxy Nexus. 24hrs later I decided that the phone just wasn't for me so I tried activating the iPhone by using *228. This process failed (obviously my account was still pending changes).

Long story short, I never lost my unlimited data, but to go from a 4G phone back to a 3G device I had to go back to the Verizon Wireless store and get them to reverse the changes on my account before I could swap phones.

This may not be a problem for you (I assume you've had the Nexus for a while), but in my opinion it would be best to try taking it to a store and getting them to change your account. You shouldn't lose unlimited data.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to netwire

Did something similar with my acct.

netwire
Premium
Shelby, NC
reply to netwire

Well poo, come to find out her phone is currently locked on her account due to a billing issue. Guess I won't be trying it out lol. I have however played with it a good bit and familiarized myself with the workings of iOS 5.1.1
--
The above nonsense was brought to you in part by Netwire. Your premier internet discussion board information and solutions provider.

netwire
Premium
Shelby, NC

Any idea if Verizon would swap the phones for me despite the account it's on being locked/suspended or am I sol?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

You would have to call VZ, im not sure

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ
reply to netwire

"billing issues"? Is she replacing the iphone with another smartphone? i believe she needs a data plan in order to remove the iphone from her account (or pay the ETF). i believe once you get past 14/30 days of a smartphone contract (in which you bought a subsidized phone) you are stuck paying for a data plan for the duration. Otherwise people would buy subsidized phones, then remove the phone from account and sell it and remove the monthly data plan and make money off it.

she needs another smartphone on her account in order to remove her iphone until her contract expires. at least this is how i understand it.

netwire
Premium
Shelby, NC

Got everything taken care of. She replaced the iPhone with a standard phone. I'm not sure what they did with the data plan but after removing the phone they somehow left the ESN on her account which is why I had trouble activating. She called back and had that removed too. So now all is good, thanks for the replies.
--