Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Josof

said by Josof:

dwarf: warrior,hunter,priest,dk
gnome: mage,lock,rogue,warrior
troll: priest,hunter,warrior,shaman

So, three of my four toons (dwarf shaman, gnome DK, and troll druid) wouldn't be allowed per your understanding of lore - only my dwarven hunter is kosher. Bah humbug!!!
I think more combinations should be allowed, not fewer. Maybe it should be set up where each race has "preferred" classes, but others are possible? If you choose a currently "not allowed" race/class combo, the character creation screen has a warning box pop up: "This race is not ideally suited to play this class. You will require 20% more XP to progress in level, and class skills will cost 20% more gold. Continue? Y/N" That way, if someone ABSOLUTELY INSISTS on creating "Snarfblat, the Orcish Paladin" they can, but they will incur a penalty for doing so. As mentioned by others, we already have race/class combos in the game that make absolutely zero sense.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

said by Caelharrad:

said by Josof:

dwarf: warrior,hunter,priest,dk
gnome: mage,lock,rogue,warrior
troll: priest,hunter,warrior,shaman

So, three of my four toons (dwarf shaman, gnome DK, and troll druid) wouldn't be allowed per your understanding of lore - only my dwarven hunter is kosher. Bah humbug!!!

aye, my list is pretty f'd up. i was just bored at work.

currently my main toons are a human warrior and a night elf huntress...boring i know
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

said by Immer:

...people need to post more, lol.

Oh hai thur.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA

Lore based race/class combos...what would be your choices Ada?

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE

Orc : Warrior, Shaman, Warlock, Rogue, Hunter, Death Knight
Forsaken: Warrior, Mage, Warlock, Priest, Hunter, Rogue, Death Knight
Tauren: Warrior, Druid, Shaman, Hunter, Death Knight
Troll: Warrior, Druid, Warlock, Priest, Hunter, Shaman, Rogue, Death Knight
Blood Elves: Warrior, Paladin, Hunter, Rogue, Mage, Priest, Death Knight
Goblin: Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Priest, Mage, Warlock, Death Knight

Off the top of my head at work. Death Knight needs to encompass all races. I'm tempted to allow Forsaken Paladin but ultimately you need a massive retcon in lore or a lawful good character which is uncharacteristic of the average Forsaken.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit

said by Adalicia:

Off the top of my head at work. Death Knight needs to encompass all races.

On that I totally agree. It is likely the Lich King wouldn't care about race prior to creation of a Death Knight. It's a different class than the others in lore, and Blizzard does somewhat respect that. Death Knight should be a raceless class imo.

One Death Knight per server should be the rule, regardless of faction. Death Knights are an unusual class imo, unless a race was introduced AFTER LK.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Adalicia

the only problem i have with dks is with nelfs and dranei. iirc the plague only affected the northern eastern kingdoms and didnt Arthas venture into northrend with only humans, dwarves, high elves and maybe a few pet gnomes.

i may be off base and dks were still being newly created as the whole alliance was venturing into northrend at the beginning of wrath but i always thought they were created in the warcraft frozen throne era.
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

the DK starting area takes place just before the events that take place in Wrath of the Lich King. The upswing in Scourge population - including all those new death knights - plus the info from the Argent Crusade and the Knights of the Ebon Blade is what gets the Alliance and Horde to head to Northrend. Plus it all takes place in Eastern Kingdoms, so NE/Draenei could have been captured and turned.

The Worgen/Goblin starter areas work in the same little "time warp" fashion - the events there take place just before the events in Cataclysm.

Any newly created DK/Worgen/Goblins are assumed to have just been wandering around or perhaps just mentally dealing with what just happened to their former home. Then they decide to do something about it and go adventuring.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Adalicia

said by Adalicia:

I'm tempted to allow Forsaken Paladin but ultimately you need a massive retcon in lore or a lawful good character which is uncharacteristic of the average Forsaken.

still salty after the wrathgate?
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE

No, not at all. The Forsaken have always been portrayed as morally ambiguous characters and the lore in the Warcraft universe would not support a traditional Paladin in that sense. The Blood Elf and Tauren lore behind it is pretty infuriating to a purist. I included Blood Elf so that Horde could have Paladins but I feel their retcon was the second biggest lore abortion they pushed through.
--

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Suniojii

Orc: War, Lock, Shammy, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest
Troll: War, Lock, Shammy, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest
Undead: War, Lock, Rogue, Hunter, Mage
BE: War, Lock, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Paladin, DK
Tauren: War, Shammy, Hunter, Priest, Druid, Paladin, DK

Human: War, Lock, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Paladin, DK
NE: War, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Druid, DK
Dwarf: War, Lock, Shammy, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Paladin, DK
Gnome: War, Lock, Rogue, Mage, Priest, DK
Space Goat: War, Lock, Shammy, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Paladin, DK
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE
reply to Josof

said by Josof:

the only problem i have with dks is with nelfs and dranei. iirc the plague only affected the northern eastern kingdoms and didnt Arthas venture into northrend with only humans, dwarves, high elves and maybe a few pet gnomes.

i may be off base and dks were still being newly created as the whole alliance was venturing into northrend at the beginning of wrath but i always thought they were created in the warcraft frozen throne era.

Third War man. All of the Third War. And all of World of Warcraft. Arthas might have been sitting on his laurels but Kel'Thuzad was not and the Scourge was a major focus for Vanilla WoW.
--

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Josof

Plus in the DK starting area you can tell they are taking prisoners in order to change them to DK's. You have to kill some to learn your new DK talents that are chained up in a pit. Then later when you're off terrorizing the scarlet crusade you have to kill someone who was your friend prior to you being captured and changed.

For goblin and worgen DK's, I'm ok with since goblins have been everywhere since vanilla with the steamwheedle cartel and the worgen that aliance can now play have been hiding behind Greymane's wall for longer than Cata times. The wall may be able to keep out other races, but not the Lich King.