[Money] how to make money in WOW?

I played just 3 months and now i just have 1000 gold
Expand your moderator at work

Arthritis

join:2011-10-20
Canada
reply to 59998901

Re: [Money] how to make money in WOW?

In all seriousness, I think we'll need a lot more information because you can get the help you want.

If you're level 10, you're doing great.....85 and doing dailies every day, not so much. What are your professions? Server pop? Is your side dominant?

In my own opinion, the easiest way to make oodles of money is dailies....it's what they are designed for. Not max level? For professions, they all can make you money. Personally, I'm lazy and find good profit in selling BC / Wrath enchanting mats. As long as they keep speeding up levelling in these zones, it will always be money.

Or back to basis, just sell gathered items, fish....whatever man, everything sells.

jofos

join:2008-02-14
Irvington, AL
The only profession that matters is AH. Take your $1000 g and invest in cheap stuff and resell. Or you could dance naked on the mail box.

shambulance

join:2012-05-11
Shawnee, KS
reply to 59998901
Dont listen to jofos! i danced for like 3 hours and only came up with one gold

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to 59998901
I was at about 300k gold before I gave a lot away and wasted it a few weeks ago. I will tell you how I made it. I didnt try very hard at all. I have several alts. I like to play different toons. Whenever a new patch would come out I would try to cap valor points on most of my toons and I would sell the BoE bracers. When firelands hit I capped VP on 5 different toons that week and sold 5 BoE bracers the following week for 16k-20k each. So I made almost 100k in a single week. From there I just continue to raid and play alts continueing to sell the BoE's.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit
reply to 59998901
To make money from sales at the auction house or via questing, you will should try to be level 85 and have several professions maxed (525).

Do you have any professions at 525? I can earn about 5-8 gold per Deepsea Sagefish head. They are in pools at the Twilight Highlands. Level 1 fishing I think pulls these out of the pools. Did you do enough fishing dailies or fish in enough pools to get the Weather-Beaten Journal? Until you can easily see fishing pools on your map while flying, it's tough to quickly gather fish.

If you run the Tol Balard dailies I think you get 16 gold per quest for 6 quests. In 10 days, you'd double your fortune.

Herbing is a great way to make cash. Herbs sell well, stuff like Whiptail is relatively easy to get, and you often get volatile life in addition which is often worth almost as much as the herbs you gather.

Same for skinning. A single heavy savage leather is about 20-25 gold in my auction house. An hour or so skinning spiders in Tol Balard or drakes in Deepholm would generate a ton of cash just on savage leather.

In Deepholm you can farm embersilk, it helps to be a tailor as you get more embersilk per drop. I have 2 tailor / enchanters who can pick up about 200 embersilk in an hour. Embersilk runs about 1 gold in my servers auction house. As both my tailers are also enchanters, a potion of treasure finding, gets a ton more enchants, and cash, which also sell for decent cash.

Running Tol Balard (just the basic area) and the Molten Front, would earn you well over 200 gold per day and take about an hour (roughly, depending on your class).

Or, you could get an auction house add on, and play the auction house. That seems to be the way smart people do it.

Personally, I farm enough to make either truegold or primal might, at least once per day on my alchemist. This earns a profit of about 200-300 gold per day. My Jewelry crafter has been selling nightmare tears regularly for 225, and hasn't missed a sale in over 6 months. That's 225 gold per day for one dumb quest. If I didn't have enchanters to disenchant for free, it'd cost me 5 gold per infinite dust, so 25 gold for the 5 needed to turn the Dalaran daily JC quest into a 225 item.

Between my alchemist, and my JC, at auction house I earn about 400 gold per day or more. I also sell fortune cookies when possible (very profitable).

I'd make more, but most of my embersilk goes to family members. Yesterday I sent my son 4 embersilk bags on a toon he got to level 80. I make about 1 illusionary bag every week, and almost all my toons use all illusionary bags now. Eventually I'll start to sell them.

If you can fish at all, you can fish for volatile fire in the fishing holes at Hyjal or Twilight Highlands. Try to pick a good profession pair (like alchemy and herbing) and level it to max. It shouldn't take long.

If you do herb, pick a druid, it's easier to quickly gather as a druid in flight form.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
reply to 59998901
If you are going to try playing the auction house, I strongly recommend »theunderminejournal.com/ for researching prices, and analyzing trends.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to 59998901
As Arthritis See Profile said, we need more information.

What classes do you have?

What professions do you have?

What level are your toons?
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

bpoff17

join:2009-03-31
reply to pandora
I never looked at dailies as such a big money maker before. I only ever thought of them as a grind for rep/item/etc. 25 dailies a day if they average 16G a piece is 400G a day. Between Molten Front, and TB (if your faction owns it) I think there's close to 25 dailies there right?

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to 59998901
It's "Tol Barad", not "Tol Balard". Argggh.
Okay, now to the actual question. Much of this has already been mentioned, but to reiterate:
(1) Get to L85, max your professions and use your skills to play the AH. For instance, a miner can buy ore, smelt it into bars, then sell the bars at a profit - without ever needing to step more than 50 yards away from the AH (depending on how close the anvil is )
(2) Other AH buying/selling... just because you're not a tailor, doesn't mean you can't buy the cheapest runecloth and then sell it back for a marked-up price.
(3) Daily quests. As many as you can stand.
(4) Cap VP and sell bind-on-equip gear.
(5) Some old dungeons/raids can be soloed for pretty good profit. I can solo Molten Core on my L85 marks hunter in about 1 hour, usually I clear about 250-300 g per run. Only doable once per week per instance, though.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
said by Caelharrad:

(1) Get to L85, max your professions and use your skills to play the AH. For instance, a miner can buy ore, smelt it into bars, then sell the bars at a profit - without ever needing to step more than 50 yards away from the AH (depending on how close the anvil is )

Terrible example. Very rarely do bars sell better than raw ore. I did make a killing one week buying a ton of obsidian ore that was massively under priced. I remarked about half and prospected about half. Made a ton of rings and neck pieces, sent the greens to my enchanter to DE and put the blues up on the AH.

For the money I would have to say that a Jewel Crafter and Enchanter combo is probably the best money maker. You can almost always get a profit by prospecting ore where the product of the prospecting sells for more than the raw ore.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

Caelharrad

Fenton, MO
I'm not sure what your realm/server is like, but I would say that turning ore into bars results in a nice profit WELL more than "very rarely" on my server. Obviously, you have to check the prices of the raw ore, and see what the bars are selling for. Bars sell pretty well, as they're in demand from players who are leveling up professions (blacksmithing, engineering, etc) on a new alt. I've had excellent luck turning titanium ore and eternal earth/fire/shadow into titansteel, for instance, or turning elementium ore + volatile earth into hardened elementium bars. Fel iron + eternium into felsteel also made me quite a bit of coin back in the day.
I wasn't trying to say that "turning ore into bars" is the fastest moneymaking strategy out there, which is why I prefaced my remark with "for instance".

bpoff17

join:2009-03-31
reply to 59998901
How are the Guardian Cub mounts selling on your server? If you've got cash to burn, you could always buy one for $10 and sell it on your Auction House for whatever they're going for. All this depends on how much of a hurry you are to get gold, and the lengths you're willing to take it of course.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
I don't think its worth the $$, to be absolutely honest. »theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=72068

Suniojii

join:2009-10-31
Lakeside, CA
reply to 59998901
Level a tank or healer, run LFD Call to Arms until you get mounts or pets. Sell them on AH, profit. I recently sold some firefly for 5k on AH, and prior to that I sold a whelpling for 11k.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to bpoff17
said by bpoff17:

I never looked at dailies as such a big money maker before. I only ever thought of them as a grind for rep/item/etc. 25 dailies a day if they average 16G a piece is 400G a day. Between Molten Front, and TB (if your faction owns it) I think there's close to 25 dailies there right?

Yup. If you have most of the Molten Front cleared I think there are 15 or 16 daily quests. The Dalaran food quest gives the same reward (I think it's 17,300 guild xp and 16 gold) as the other daily quests. Then the daily cooking and fishing quests, which are usually easy.

15 in the Molten Front, 6 in Tol Balard if your side doesn't own it, and 2 cooking in your factions home city plus the Dalaran cooking quest adds up to 24 quests as best I can count. If you are a JC, the Dalaran daily JC quest will earn you 175-200 gold profit per day and the cooking quest will earn about the same as Cata dailies. I think that's 25 quests, without holding Tol Balard. My biggest problem once I'm in the groove, is running out of allowed daily quests on my hunter or Death Knight.

So 16 gold times 25 is 400. If you herb, mine, JC or skin, you'll get a lot of extra material along the way that sells very well. A JC / Miner would work well, or a alchemist / herbalist. As a JC you'd make an extra 200 per day, add in some mining while in Tol Balard and you could easily pull in another 100 gold. Or as an herbalist and alchemist, add at least 200 gold per day just picking up Azshara's Veil in Tol Balard and selling it with volatile life plus anything you find doing the Hyjal quests that are part of the Molten Front but inside Hyjal (daily there are 3 Molten Front quests in Hyjal).

It's easy to pull in 600-800 gold a day doing dailies if you have a profession that works with it.

The professions I've found relatively unprofitable are mining (mostly as bots cut you off and can dump a lot in a short time), leatherworking, inscription, and blacksmithing. Leatherworkers and blacksmiths can't make much for high level, or at least can't unless they raid a lot. Inscription glyphs are dirt cheap to make, and are a rip off in the auction house on my server.

However if a glyph is going for 300 gold, and I sell one for 50, within 20 minutes (sometimes sooner) there will be 1-4 of the same glyph going for 49 gold and 99 silver to 96 silver. If I repost at 20, I'll be undercut again.

The controlling factor for glyphs is the cost of blackfallow ink. Which I estimate to run about 5 gold, if you buy herbs or blackfallow ink from my servers auction house. You need 3 to make any glyph, then low cost (under 40 silver) parchment. The price point where you would lose on the auction house, due to commission is about 18 gold. I am often undercut at 15 gold and 12 gold. At 10 gold, the people who sell for 300 gold will buy my glyph and reset the price to 300. I can't justify selling for less than about 20 gold as the profit is minimal at that price point.

Some things you auction are very expensive relative to the sale price, like 346 weapons from a blacksmith, it may cost 4-7 gold for a 24 hour auction for a weapon worth 50-100 gold. The cost of materials often far exceeds the value you can get (say 3-5 truegold, plus 3 chaos orbs). Between the cost of materials to make and high cost to auction, leatherworking, and blacksmithing don't work.

JC is also expensive to sell finished gems, but raw gems not so much. It'd be better to transmute gems via an alchemist and sell them unfinished than to sell finished gems unless they are +40 or +50 (new raid gems). Gems are not as tough as inscription, but are competitive. As finished gems cost a lot to auction, people don't put them up and take them down as much. If I try to sell a typical Cata gem, I may get 40-80 gold for it, but may have to pay 3-7 gold to auction it, selling say a nightmare tear costs 1 silver for 48 hours. If I'm underbid, it's easy to cancel and reauciton. Pulling and re-auctioning a 40-80 gold valued gem item and losing the 3-7 gold deposit is much tougher imo.

On the other hand JC's get the Dalaran and faction daily JC quests, which are often easy and valuable.

If you want a suggestion, try herb and alchemist. At 525, while doing dailies, I guarantee you'll find ways to make cash on herbs, or on potions, or both. Transmuting volatile life on my server into volatile air takes the value from about 7-9 gold to 18-26, depending on the day. Generally on my server prices are higher on weekends. I'll but materials on weekdays, then sell on weekends.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Caelharrad
said by Caelharrad:

(5) Some old dungeons/raids can be soloed for pretty good profit. I can solo Molten Core on my L85 marks hunter in about 1 hour, usually I clear about 250-300 g per run. Only doable once per week per instance, though.

On the Molten Core raid, a blood of the mountain can go for 500-800 gold on my server. It's probably the most valuable single BC item I've seen.

In Outland there is a raid that can be soloed by a well geared 85, it's called the Serpentshrine Cavern and its in Outland. Bosses there drop 200 gold a piece (well as of at least last week, I haven't done it yet this week). It's a once a week raid, but IIRC there are 6 bosses. That's 1,200 gold in a solo level 70 25 man raid. It helps to look up a video about how to do it with your class.

Picking up a blood of the mountain is tough, but killing the fellas in Serpentshrine Cavern is a way to make 1,200 a week. It does require going to Outland. Bring a fishing pole if you go, you can have level 1 fishing, but I think the first or 2nd boss has to be fished up. Low level fishers may take a bit more time. When you fish up the boss you have very few seconds to put on your battle weapon, if you don't and you are melee, you are dead.
--

gains

@windstream.net
picking up blood of the mountain isn't tough.... it's actually pretty easy and most people think they aren't farmable... but they are.... just go into mc... don't kill any bosses... just kill the 5 molten destroyers... run out and reset... rinse and repeat. you'll probably pick up 2-3 in your 5 resets that you do before you get locked. so probably only take you 30mins tops.

gains

@windstream.net
reply to pandora
it's classic or vanilla... for bc it's probably rare patterns or primal might as the most valuable bc item

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to 59998901
Soloing MC is a great money maker between the loot drops and some of the mats that people pay big money for on the AH....well, relatively big money.

Even soloing the level 70 dungeons is fairly decent coin and doesn't take long if you are a decently geared 85. I also find disenchanted mats from the level 70s sell well, too.

Of course, I think the wow economy is pretty depressed right now since so many people have taken a break from playing and the current content has gotten stale. I expect that once MOP launches, people will be rolling pandas with various different professions and they'll need the vanilla, BC, LK and CAT mats to get to the MOP gear/enchants/whatever they want to make. I expect that the value of those older mats will greatly increase right after launch.

Of course, blizz may make it easier to get through the older profession grinds with CAT, so maybe things won't be in as much demand as I expect.

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
kudos:1
reply to 59998901
I second the Undermine Journal. That, Auction Lite, and Market Watcher are my favorite addons for the AH.

I'm just a casual AH player but I rarely have less than 10K gold on my main and several K on each alt. I'm always able to buy gear, mounts, pets, and riding skills whenever I want.

I only do a few dailies (basically fishing and cooking) and farm an hour or so once a week on a couple toons for mats.

And this is on a low pop server with a lousy market.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Goldheart:

And this is on a low pop server with a lousy market.

QFT, lol

Ohtsuki

@zen.co.uk
Buy Cataclysm greens for 25g to 50g (level 77 to 78) the relist from 200g to 500g depending on the item.
Opposite faction vanity pets from the Argent Tournament sell for 6k if you have access to 2 accounts.
Watch the auction house and learn what sells for what price i have in the past bought an orb of deception for 40g and resold it for 5000g but the best one ever was buying Savage Raptor Mount for 200g and reselling for 125000g on Alliance AH.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
or you can do like this jackass on Malfurion who lists vanilla greens for 700 or more, i am thinking its a bot or something cause he will have 12 items in almost every armour slot, all for 700g, im talking level 43 agi leather and the like, not blue items just plain old drops.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Caelharrad

Fenton, MO
said by cymraeg:

or you can do like this jackass on Malfurion who lists vanilla greens for 700 or more, i am thinking its a bot or something cause he will have 12 items in almost every armour slot, all for 700g, im talking level 43 agi leather and the like, not blue items just plain old drops.

There's a guy on Garona (won't list his name here) who does the same crap, though more with trade goods instead of gear. Offers copper ore for 999g per stack of 20, heavy leather for 300g apiece, runecloth for 500g per stack, et cetera. Just STUPIDLY high prices, for nearly every trade item imaginable. I'm also guessing it's a bot... and guessing that he must occasionally sell something, in order to make any profit.

Hazmat

join:2007-07-10
Laveen, AZ
reply to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

Or, he could be just looking ahead to MoP going Live, and players wanting to equip their newborn panda monks with agility leather, bags, etc., Heirlooms are not available for every slot.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
could also be an attempt to throw off everyone's auctioning addons... throwing the "average" or "market" price figure higher.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to Hazmat
i would agree Haz if it were just that type of armour but its in all styles and some weapons, either this person has all the time in the world for farming or theres more than one person playing the toon cause he has tonnes of listings
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Jakiel00

join:2007-12-12
Mckinney, TX
reply to Caelharrad
said by Caelharrad:

said by cymraeg:

There's a guy on Garona (won't list his name here) who does the same crap, though more with trade goods instead of gear. Offers copper ore for 999g per stack of 20, heavy leather for 300g apiece, runecloth for 500g per stack, et cetera. Just STUPIDLY high prices, for nearly every trade item imaginable. I'm also guessing it's a bot... and guessing that he must occasionally sell something, in order to make any profit.

Gold Farmers would do this back in the day. If a person purchased gold from a website, the gold farmer would give that person items to list for ridiculous amount of gold. He would then log onto another toon and purchase the items for that amount, therefore giving the gold to the person who purchased it.

Not sure if they are doing it in this case, but this was a method back in the day.
--
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
- Henry Kissinger