14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra to Jammers

Premium Member

to Jammers

Re: [ipv6] New routers handling IPv6

I can tell you this much: there's not a lick of IPv6 in the firmware for my Netgear WGR614, but due to its merely bridging the WiFi and the Ethernet, it seems to work just fine using IPv6 over WiFi. It passes NSes, NAs, RSes, and RAs just fine, as well as the "main" traffic. However, aint never gonna be able to admin the thing over IPv6.

My "main" router is an old Linux PC, so it's quite a bit more capable in terms of IPv6.
rchandra

1 recommendation

rchandra to Jammers

Premium Member

to Jammers
It's all in economics. Lack of general demand means lack of money spent on programming services to make it possible. It's classic chicken/egg. Finally with v4 address space exhaustion, there is slightly more pressure, but there won't be a lot of pressure until all the RIRs run out. (How close is ARIN anyway?)

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by rchandra:

Finally with v4 address space exhaustion, there is slightly more pressure, but there won't be a lot of pressure until all the RIRs run out. (How close is ARIN anyway?)

I think just RIPE and ARIN running out will be all the pressure that's needed. APNIC is already out.

RIPE will reach its last /8 (basically out) in Sept. Many of the remaining address will be given out for CGNs and NAT64 (transition mechanisms), so they'll essentially be out then. They've already started allocating of 5/8 which is used by Hamachi. Would suck to be getting any new IPs from them now.

»www.ripe.net/internet-co ··· ol-graph

My guess for ARIN is Q2 of 2013 for exhaustion.
»www.arin.net/resources/r ··· own.html

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

2 recommendations

kontos to Da Geek Kid

to Da Geek Kid
said by Da Geek Kid:

no one is questioning IPv4... Natively, is in hardware. Please let me know which consumer grade router provides IPv6, natively.

In software is NOT Native.

By that definition of "Native" there are also no consumer routers that do native IPv4 either. (They all have CPUs that load firmware to do their IP stuff)
Expand your moderator at work