spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rkpetros
join:2003-06-03
Plainfield, CT

rkpetros

Sick of the Slow Speeds

I've had problems with forever it seems. For the last couple of weeks, my speeds have been horrible. I cannot even watch any online video content any longer. This was my latest result, which is typical: 4.93 / 1.42. This is ridiculous. Time and time again, Metrocast raises their prices and it seems each time that happens the speeds go DOWN! I've called about this several times, nothing has ever been done. They just tell me that they will send someone out, at my expense. Worst internet service ever.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

What modem are you using? Can you post the line stats? Also are you wired or wireless?
rkpetros
Plainfield, CT

rkpetros

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 modem.

I am wired.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

What package do you subscribe to? I would also recommend buying a SB6120 at Target, etc. Could you post the modem stats?

Jeff G
join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

+1 on the swap out of the modem. I swapped mine last month and saw a huge pickup. Also swapped out my old Linksys modem Both made differences.
rkpetros
Plainfield, CT

rkpetros to ptrowski

to ptrowski
Thanks for the information... I have the high speed internet package (12/1). I'm not sure what stats you are looking for, but maybe I do need to get a new modem.....this one is a few years old.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You will see a big difference. Buy the new one so you don't have to rent one from them, call them with the MAC address and they will activate it.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784 to rkpetros

to rkpetros
I would try and get an 8-channel modem too, if it is not much more. That way you are really future proofing yourself.
rkpetros
Plainfield, CT

rkpetros

I guess I'll have to live with this for awhile because I'll be moving within the next 4 months so it's not worth investing in a new modem, not knowhing if it will be needed after that. Thanks for all oif the replies.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

If you are staying in a Metrocast area it is still good to have. The stability of the speeds due to channel bonding makes it a great purchase.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

I would say if hes going anywhere where he can get cable he should get the modem, as it is backwards compatible.

But that's just me.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Very true as well.
ptrowski

ptrowski to tenpin784

Premium Member

to tenpin784
My 6120 died yesterday, so I went to Staples. They had the Zoom and I almost bought it until I called Metrocast. The tech support person did not recommend it.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

I would stick with the Motorola Surfboard. Pretty much 95%+ of cable cos use it...Good to know that Zoom is still around. I had a 33.6k external modem from them. Those were the days.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784 to ptrowski

to ptrowski
If you want to stick with Motorola, they have the SBG6580 which is 8-channel, but has the built in wireless router and a 4 port switch (eh). Motorola also has the SB6141 or SB6180, but I don't see them on BB or Staples or Newegg, but they are on Ebay.
meandmyarrow
join:2001-12-11
Waterford, CT

meandmyarrow

I keep seeing you guys talking about upgrading modems... I guess if I'm a phone and internet subscriber I'm out of luck doing that since there is a combo-box? I forget the proper name for the box that interfaces both internet and phone.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to rkpetros

to rkpetros
I have phone and Internet and a modem for each. I purchased my modem called MC and they setup the new modem to handle the internet and the old one they demoted to only take care of phone.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

I did what billh did, I still have the eMTA for the phone, I split the coax and run internet through my own cable modem.
meandmyarrow
join:2001-12-11
Waterford, CT

meandmyarrow

I'm getting 12.5 down and 1.25 up, so I guess the eMTA is doing OK for now. Perhaps if I had the "gamer" package (which I don't anticipate at this point) I'd need a separate modem?

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

My understanding is that for anything >20 you should have bonded channels which means DOCSIS 3.0 modem at a minimum...

Of course anytime Metrocast wants to issue an eMTA with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem would be the best route because then you have an all-in-one setup.
tony_s_fan
join:2011-04-03
Putnam, CT

tony_s_fan to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

My 6120 died yesterday, so I went to Staples. They had the Zoom and I almost bought it until I called Metrocast. The tech support person did not recommend it.

Even back in the old BBS days of the 80's and 90's, ZOOM had a CRAPPY rep for modems. Nice to see they still carry that rep!

Nyteroad
join:2009-09-15
Sterling, CT

Nyteroad

I pay for the "gamer Package" and this is the garbage i put up with all the time...

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

With a ping of 144ms, I would try a different server first.

I would try Boston > Towerstream, as that is a decent server speed/ping wise.

Nyteroad
Sterling, CT

Nyteroad to rkpetros

to rkpetros
The server im testing my speed on still doesn't have anything to do with the fact it takes 3 hours to DL a 1 gig game from Steam....all while talking to a friend of mine who pulls it down in 15 mins on Comcast..

The service has been off and on since we bought the house 2 years ago some days its fine while other days you cant even use the internet.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to rkpetros

to rkpetros
This month marks my 23rd year with metorcast/eastern. I have only had had HSI for 12 of those years mainly as it was not offered until then. In any case I have all ways had great response to any issues I have had including with in the last year having the cable replaced to my house a 150' underground run and a reworking of all my inside wiring to fix network issues I was having.

So keep on them I did and it worked for me.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Nyteroad

Premium Member

to Nyteroad
said by Nyteroad:

The server im testing my speed on still doesn't have anything to do with the fact it takes 3 hours to DL a 1 gig game from Steam....all while talking to a friend of mine who pulls it down in 15 mins on Comcast..

The service has been off and on since we bought the house 2 years ago some days its fine while other days you cant even use the internet.

What type of modem etc are you using?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784 to Nyteroad

to Nyteroad
Well, with a ping of 144 to massachusetts, and only a 1.26mb upload, it almost looks like something is hogging your upload.

What are your tests during non-peak time?

Edit: I just got a 105ping to the Oxford, MA server, but only 26 to Boston/Towerstream.....just FWIW.

Nyteroad
Sterling, CT

Nyteroad to rkpetros

to rkpetros
Sorry guys work has been crazy have not had time to check back... my router that im using from metrocast is a Arris model TM602G its for my internet and phone i believe.

Here is my speeds tonight not as bad but still way below what i pay for not sure if its normal or not..this one is from towerstream in boston.

Nyteroad

Nyteroad to rkpetros

to rkpetros
and this is a few hours later...

same boston server

Nyteroad

Nyteroad

bump