All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

CV refused to extend promos - Should I threaten to cancel?

So my $44.95 Family Cable + iO and $29.95 OOL promos are expiring after just 1 year. I called up and they refused to extend the promos. To make the $40/month (50%!!) increase easier to swallow, I asked if they could throw in something like a free international channel or Boost Plus, but they said no. That's disappointing. I could live with paying the new rate of $124/month for TV+OOL if they threw in TV5 or Boost Plus.

So should I threaten to quit? Will CV bite?

Or maybe I should cancel the iO package to save $11.95 per month. The only thing we ever watch in that package are the NHL playoffs and TeenNick. They'd probably charge me a downgrade of service fee. I guess if I want to add it back later, I'd have to go to the new iO Preferred package, which costs $4.05 more than Family Cable + iO, so that move might end up costing me more in the long run.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Prolly wont get much going on there either, you'll probably get a deal if you UPGRADE to more stuff costing you more but at a discount.

I had Internet only for 1yr then it expired so paying the full rate now for Boost+ at $65/month vs $45. I can get tripple play for $79 but I don't need them as I travel but hey my boost plus will be "free" then too they say. LOL.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to aannoonn

to aannoonn
Cancelling might help. 1 year or so ago i called up to cancell my optimum voice and they put me on the tripple play for 2 more years. It cant hurt.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to aannoonn

to aannoonn
What other providers are there in your area? Make an installation appointment and then call CV Disconnect. You might be given a loyalty promo. Good luck.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to aannoonn

to aannoonn
Try reducing tripple play to doubble or singlle play tellling them trippple is to expensive. They just may give you a reduced offer for tripppple play.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
Easiest way is to cancel and reorder using somebody else's name. Rinse and repeat.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

So my $44.95 Family Cable + iO and $29.95 OOL promos are expiring after just 1 year. I called up and they refused to extend the promos. To make the $40/month (50%!!) increase easier to swallow, I asked if they could throw in something like a free international channel or Boost Plus, but they said no. That's disappointing. I could live with paying the new rate of $124/month for TV+OOL if they threw in TV5 or Boost Plus.

So should I threaten to quit? Will CV bite?

Or maybe I should cancel the iO package to save $11.95 per month. The only thing we ever watch in that package are the NHL playoffs and TeenNick. They'd probably charge me a downgrade of service fee. I guess if I want to add it back later, I'd have to go to the new iO Preferred package, which costs $4.05 more than Family Cable + iO, so that move might end up costing me more in the long run.

unfortunately, you don't have terrestrial competition in your area, so they think they have the upper hand, but you can cancel, and sign for directv or dish network, then when their promo pricing is up, you can switch back to cablevision.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to aannoonn

Anon

to aannoonn
I just remembered that CV will force me to have iO Navigation, so the savings for dropping iO will only be $5 per month. Damn.

After the CV rep refused to extend my promos, I was routed to an automatic survey asking about the rep's performance. Although I rated her professionalism as 'excellent', I gave her a 'poor' rating for my satisfaction with her handling of the call. It's too bad that the reps get poor ratings when it's Cablevision that prevents them from satisfying their customers.

Maybe I'll call back tonight and try again. Or maybe I'll just bang my head against the wall. Talking to CV is not much different.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to aannoonn

to aannoonn
I don't think that the iO Navigation package exists anymore.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Good point. If I drop regular iO, they may force me to iO Value, which would be $6/month cheaper than I'm paying now.

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

I read somewhere Cablevision is ending its deep discounting promos that theyve given in recent years to boost revenue. They did forgo a rate increase this year. I think that has something to do with it.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
Did you talk to a normal rep? In most companies, normal reps can't offer deals to stay. Try calling back and speaking to the disconnections department if you haven't.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
Why not just switch to FIOS and get their new-customer deal? Many people are very happy with FIOS.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
Not sure why you people expect a company to extend a PROMOTION. They have no obligation to do this. You are even lucky they offered you a PROMOTION to begin with

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to xirian

Anon

to xirian
said by xirian:

Try calling back and speaking to the disconnections department if you haven't.

I can't find the old thread, but someone here tried doing that, CV called his bluff and scheduled his disconnection! He had to call back with his tail between his legs to keep his service.

But he did get a new promo!! Wish I could find the old thread.
blacknoi
join:2004-11-06
Stanhope, NJ

blacknoi to aannoonn

to aannoonn
If you have the FiOS option, take it. Threaten cablevision to cancel and if they don't extend you, then follow up on the threat.

Surf the new customer promos for a year and go back and forth between providers. Do the same thing to fios when your promo runs out with them.

This assumes you don't mind the minor inconvenience of changing equipment every 12 months.

I'd do it if I had fios available. This way you are always paying the lowest prices.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

No Fios here. It's available one block away, but not here. Must be Verizon's redlining of our neighborhood with $600k houses.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

CV will likely know that, and call your bluff. Doesn't hurt to call - worst case they connect you to the disconnect department, instead of the retention department.

DJMADfx
join:2002-02-27
Merrick, NY

DJMADfx to aannoonn

to aannoonn
Just lie and tell them that it (FIOS) is available to you. I knew someone that did that and it worked just fine.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

That usually does not work. They check to make sure FiOS is available at your address. The phone rep has your address and can plug it into the same online Verizon tool that you can use to verify FiOS eligibility.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
Welcome to the club of People Who Pay Full Price.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to aannoonn

Anon

to aannoonn
Here it is. It was Rick:
said by RickNY:
if you just call regular customer service and ask for a promo, they will usually say "We dont show any promos available for your account". Retentions (Cancellation department) is in a better position to offer you something -- however, they generally wont do so unless you call and say you want to cancel. Last year, I did just that -- and inititially the rep just said to me "OK, Ive disconnected your TV service. Is there anything else I can help you with?" and sure enough - sent the signal to the Cablecards right then and turned it off - calling my bluff.

I ended up calling right back 5 mins later after that, to sales, and sales was able to offer me TP for another year as long as I agreed to pay a $20 install charge to reinstate service, and I received Family+iO, OOL+Boost, and OV for $99.

»Re: No promos available for my account?
In another post Rick says he's been on the triple play promo for 5 years. Two other people said that CV extended their promo without them even asking.

So it's really annoying to see people paying less than me for 5 years, when my promo (which cost me more than they were paying) runs out after only a year.
iknow
Premium Member

iknow

Premium Member

said by aannoonn :

Here it is. It was Rick:

said by RickNY:
if you just call regular customer service and ask for a promo, they will usually say "We dont show any promos available for your account". Retentions (Cancellation department) is in a better position to offer you something -- however, they generally wont do so unless you call and say you want to cancel. Last year, I did just that -- and inititially the rep just said to me "OK, Ive disconnected your TV service. Is there anything else I can help you with?" and sure enough - sent the signal to the Cablecards right then and turned it off - calling my bluff.

I ended up calling right back 5 mins later after that, to sales, and sales was able to offer me TP for another year as long as I agreed to pay a $20 install charge to reinstate service, and I received Family+iO, OOL+Boost, and OV for $99.

»Re: No promos available for my account?
In another post Rick says he's been on the triple play promo for 5 years. Two other people said that CV extended their promo without them even asking.

So it's really annoying to see people paying less than me for 5 years, when my promo (which cost me more than they were paying) runs out after only a year.

threaten to cancel your TV service, and switch to Directv, if need be, do that, and when that is up, you can switch back. you can get a great deal on TV service with Directv's promo pricing!. and still have the internet with cablevision. Cablevision knows you have the option of Directv or similar for TV, maybe a deal can be struck!.

aztr0
join:2007-10-28
Brooklyn, NY

aztr0 to aannoonn

to aannoonn
In situations like these, sadly, threatening to cancel will work most of the time.
bonke
join:2009-08-23
Trenton, NJ

bonke to aannoonn

to aannoonn
JUst wondering how you made out with the problem?
iknow
Premium Member

iknow to aztr0

Premium Member

to aztr0
said by aztr0:

In situations like these, sadly, threatening to cancel will work most of the time.

it's not sad, many people HAVE to do this, and many WILL cancel if no deal is struck to make it affordable to them. Cablevision is one of many companies that don't realize a big recession is going on, and they can't make the profits they used to make.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

4 edits

RickNY to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
For what its worth, that post was last year... Yes, they refused to give me the TP anymore... But offered me Family Cable for a year for $29.95. ABout 2 months after I had posted that, I dropped Optimum Voice, and kept only OOL/Boost+ and Family Cable plus HBO.

Fast forward a year, and the promo on my $29.99 Family Cable was running out.. I called them up, and this time around, they offered me a new promo -- if I took OV. The promo with OV was cheaper than what I wanted, so I grabbed it.

This is what they gave me:

iO Silver (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore (which is part of iO Preferred)): $60.95
Optimum Online: $29.95
Boost Plus: $14.95
Optimum Voice: $29.95
CableCard: $2.00

Total: $135.80

Originally, I was just calling to see how much it would be to go to iO Silver, with OOL & Boost Plus. That price is normally 89.95 for Silver, 44.95 for OOL at $14.95 for Boost Plus.. Add in the CableCard at $2, and that would have been $151.85. So for $16 less, I got an OV line too -- which I won't need after the year is up anyway.

I essentially got the triple play again -- if I opted for Family Cable, that would have been 29.95, but I wanted Silver -- and I didn't threaten to cancel.. I just called to inquire about my options for upgrading to Silver once my Family promo ran out.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to bonke

Anon

to bonke
I'm a lousy liar, so if I told them I wanted to cancel, they'd probably do it and I'd be stuck without service.

One possibility is to add OV and get a triple play promo. I'd save money for a year, but then it would cost me more, because my Verizon local POTS service is cheaper than OV. I'd also have to do some rewiring to to connect OV to my house phones.

Or I could just not use OV at all. I wouldn't even connect a phone. That would be $100 for iO Preferred and standard OOL, which is cheaper than $115 for Family Cable+iO and OOL.

In either of the last two cases, I'd have to pay for the more expensive iO Preferred package when the promo ran out, increasing my costs in the long run.

I wonder if they'd give me a discount for TV5 or Boost Plus. Either of those would be nice, but they're not worth the normal price.

Hey Rick, did you do a self-install for OV, or did you have to pay for a tech visit? I assume you didn't port a phone number.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY

Premium Member

said by aannoonn :

I'm a lousy liar, so if I told them I wanted to cancel, they'd probably do it and I'd be stuck without service.

I did that once -- and 5 minutes later, all of my services were turned off. I had to call back and grovel.. Depends on who you get.
said by aannoonn :

Hey Rick, did you do a self-install for OV, or did you have to pay for a tech visit? I assume you didn't port a phone number.

They just turned it on while I was on the call (Already had an Arris TM802 D3 voice modem).. Assigned a new number... I didnt want them to port anything since I had to jump through hoops to port my original Verizon number (which had been ported to OV) over to Google Voice via 1st porting it to Sprint (since GV only ports mobile numbers) -- which is where it now safely resides.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

You never tell them you want to cancel.

You tell them "I am looking at DirectTV and they have Such and Such for such and such price." Then ask if they can match. If they no. Tell them you will call back after you've ordered DirectTV and it's installed to cancel.