uniqs

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

I think this is a good idea.

As long as the subscription fees are reasonable. I would think at most a couple hundred per year would be acceptable to most consumers. But even that is high considering there wouldn't likely be very high data usage. But if the automakers make it so the vehicle will act as a hot spot for any device in it then consumption could be high and you'd likely have to pay handsomely for it.

Of course, the LTE network would have to be drastically expanded for any of this to be feasible anyway. Verizon's LTE network is rather large, but there are still gigantic holes that need filled.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

A couple hundred grey n' white? with the price they're raping you on the price of the car it should be included. same with new cars and sat radio[if you put a receiver in it at factory it should just work without you getting nicked each month for service!!1]
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

1 recommendation

25139889 (banned)

OnStar isn't included. Neither is XM. It's optional with 1 year free. Why should they give it away?

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to thegeek

to thegeek
I always thought adding a mobile connection to cars would be great for remote starting, u can be way further away to start your car.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

If you can't see your car, you shouldn't be remote starting it! You never know what is going on around it. Plus, these network-style remote starting and other features are just a great way for thieves to hack into your car and steal it, or what you have in it. Passwords are being broken and sites hacked more and more these days.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

smh. You do realize this would work based on a cell network before it hits the car right? Good luck hacking that.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

I always thought adding a mobile connection to cars would be great for remote starting, u can be way further away to start your car.

Already done, I can start my car with the OnStar app.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 edit

TheMG to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Remote starting? Not on my car.

I get in the car COLD, even when it's -30 celsius. Start it up, let it run for about a minute, and drive.

It only needs 30-60 seconds to get the oil flowing and to build up a little heat in the cylinders. After that just drive gently until the engine comes up to full operating temperature.

Remote-starting a car and letting it run until the inside is nice and cozy warm is just a useless waste of gas. Sadly it is something which a LOT of people are doing. On those cold winter days you can see dozens of cars idling everywhere, in every parking lot and on every residential street. It's ridiculous.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

If you can't see your car, you shouldn't be remote starting it! You never know what is going on around it.

What? People do this all the time.
What do you think would happen by remote starting your car???

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Remote starting? Not on my car.

I get in the car COLD, even when it's -30 celsius. Start it up, let it run for about a minute, and drive.

It only needs 30-60 seconds to get the oil flowing and to build up a little heat in the cylinders. After that just drive gently until the engine comes up to full operating temperature.

Remote-starting a car and letting it run until the inside is nice and cozy warm is just a useless waste of gas. Sadly it is something which a LOT of people are doing. On those cold winter days you can see dozens of cars idling everywhere, in every parking lot and on every residential street. It's ridiculous.

Nobody buys a remote start to warm up the engine. When it's cold out I want that fucker toasty warm when I get in. Wasteful? Yes. But I can afford to waste the gas.