uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Savant

Re: Vivendi to discuss sale of Activision Blizzard...

Games for Windows Live + Real ID merger.

I said it.

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto

said by Mike:

I said it.

Precisely. Microsoft has been trying for the better part of the last decade to break back in to the PC game market, after they foolishly became too focused on the Xbox market and let the PC games market slip away from them.

They keep trying to reinvent 'Games for Windows' as a marketplace, but they have 'launched' it 3 times, and every time the public has given it a big 'meh'. Tapping in to the Activision/Blizzard customer base would allow them to rebrand 'Read ID' into 'Microsoft Real ID', which they could roll in the xbox live accounts into.

The only question mark would be if this would be considered 'anti-competitive', but even that would be hard to suggest given how many big players there are out there.

It's certainly something to watch, and it will still depend on whether Vivendi wants to sell.
--

Attack the words, not the writer...

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

The public would give more of a crap if they didn't yank Halo off PC. When the company that owns Windows can't even develop a game of theirs for Windows, the consumers already received and understood the only message that mattered.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto

said by Krisnatharok:

The public would give more of a crap if they didn't yank Halo off PC. When the company that owns Windows can't even develop a game of theirs for Windows, the consumers already received and understood the only message that mattered.

I fully agree.

I was beta testing for Microsoft back when PC Games were still the focus for them, and I remember the original Halo beta. Back then they released Halo on Xbox, and then took two full years before they released it on PC & Mac. With Halo 2 it was again released on Xbox first, and then on the PC 2½ years later. After that they gave up on 'porting' Halo to the PC at all.

Yet while they refuse to release Halo on the PC anymore, they keep saying that they want to win PC gamers back. EA says the same thing, and they too have had 'console exclusive' releases as well.

Seeing as how Microsoft doesn't have the PC games base anymore, it only makes sense that they would be very interested in 'buying' it. If they could purchase Activision/Blizzard it would give them a huge presence in the PC games market again, and they could easily build on that.

Given the profitability of Activision/Blizzard, the risk would be low. If Activision/Blizzard goes on the market, I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't make a play for it. (assuming that it isn't horridly overpriced.)
--

Attack the words, not the writer...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

I said it.

AHHHH RUN