Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

1 edit

[CATV] "free preview weekend" ?

Back in May, there was a message on the cable box that said June 8-11 was going to be a free preview for HBO I think it was, but, I look today, and nothing is free.

The message has since been auto-deleted by Charter on the cable box.

Anyone else see that message ?

*edit, looking here: »www.freepreview.tv/hbo/free-prev···ent-3742

Looks like I am not alone.

quote:
June 8th, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hey folks, it’s typical Charter BS. I got the message at my house 6 weeks ago and called Charter late last week to reaffirm that we were getting HBO/Cinemax free. And I’ll be damned that I wake up and find out they’re not on. So I call and they say it “just came down” that they won’t be free in my area. What a crock of crap. If I had any other options for cable, I’d dump Charter in a heartbeat.

So, the question is, why did they first say they will do it, then now, they won't ?

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI
More digging turned up this:
quote:
Charter has made the decision to no longer participate in a free preview of HBO/Cinemax scheduled June 8 through June 11. Several Charter headend sites need to undergo upgrades/changes to support increased usage during a free preview window. Since Charter is unable to guarantee the best streaming consistency for customers during a free preview, the choice was made to not participate.

We regrets the last minute schedule change and are constantly working to deliver top notch products, services and a superior customer experience. The upgrade would have been a challenge with this particular Free Preview offering.

A bandwidth issue ?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit
reply to Zappa2000
And this is Charter's fault how? I could be but there isn't any proof of that. Let him go with direcTv or Dish and see how many "free previews" he gets. Um ZERO. By the way I got HBO for FREE for a year from Charter.
Expand your moderator at work

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

Re: [CATV] "free preview weekend" ?

What do you mean by "service"? The price, what is offered, or the physical delivery service [connections]?

"Horrible" in total ... I think, requires some details to be believed.

Pesimist

join:2007-07-09
Valley, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·HughesNet Satell..

1 edit
reply to Zappa2000

So - All these messages about HBO & Cinimax free preview for 8-11 June have been lies?

The message on the last page of our Charter Invoices in May:
"HBO/Cinemax Preview – From June 8th -11th, Charter will offer a FREE PREVIEW of HBO and Cinemax including On Demand (where available), to residential Charter TV in Digital customers with PG, PG-13, TV-14, TVMA and R rated programs. If you do not want to see the free preview, please activate parental controls or call 1-888-GET-CHARTER."

Zappa2000's post is on-point! If Charter is going to advertise a free preview, then there should be a free preview.

Chris33

@charter.com

1 edit
reply to 88615298

Actually, now that I look it up, this HBO/C-Max free preview is on BOTH Dish and Direct TV.

Pesimist

join:2007-07-09
Valley, AL
reply to 88615298
Since - Both Dish & DirecTv are offering the "FREE" previews this weekend - So your "UM-Zero" statement is not revelent:
»www.freepreview.tv/

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Pesimist

said by Pesimist:

Since - Both Dish & DirecTv are offering the "FREE" previews this weekend - So your "UM-Zero" statement is not revelent:
»www.freepreview.tv/

Unless he can get DirecTv by um YESTERDAY he's not getting a free HBO preview anytime soon.

LaRRY_PEpPeR

join:2010-03-19
Wentzville, MO
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Let him go with direcTv or Dish and see how many "free previews" he gets. Um ZERO.

DirecTV and Dish get all previews generally, AFAIK. Always have on DirecTV I think, and Dish might've not participated only a couple/few times during the 20 months we had it...

LaRRY_PEpPeR

Wentzville, MO
reply to Zappa2000
said by Zappa2000:

More digging turned up this:

quote:
Several Charter headend sites need to undergo upgrades/changes to support increased usage during a free preview window. Since Charter is unable to guarantee the best streaming consistency for customers during a free preview, the choice was made to not participate.

A bandwidth issue ?

"Increased usage?" Of what? What difference does it make how many people are "using" a channel? Or are they talking about On Demand capacity? Then simply don't offer the On Demand part...? I don't think DirecTV does unless you're an actual subscriber. Unless Charter doesn't have that capability (e.g. auth for channels=auth for On Demand)?

And... "streaming???"

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Anon
Theres a few good series/original programming on HBO.
only thing i wish is they'd switch out movies more often.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
reply to LaRRY_PEpPeR
Streaming in terms of Switched-digital Video (SDV).

LaRRY_PEpPeR

Wentzville, MO
Nah, doesn't matter if 1 person is watching or everyone, it's still just a single channel being broadcast, even with SDV...

If that wasn't the case, "streaming" SDV would make things much worse!

Chris33

@charter.com
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Pesimist:

»www.freepreview.tv/

Unless he can get DirecTv by um YESTERDAY he's not getting a free HBO preview anytime soon.

That, of course, is not remotely close to the point. You claimed Dish and Direct don't show free previews. In fact, just about every provider is showing this particular one but Charter. Now, Charter was supposed to show it, but now for some convoluted reason nobody can decipher they aren't.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
reply to LaRRY_PEpPeR
said by LaRRY_PEpPeR:

Nah, doesn't matter if 1 person is watching or everyone, it's still just a single channel being broadcast, even with SDV...

If that wasn't the case, "streaming" SDV would make things much worse!

Yes, but if SDV capacity concerns are the issue, then you're potentially going to run out of available streams for other content/channels.
--
Employee of Charter Communications. The views and opinions expressed in the post above may not reflect those of my employer.

threedd

join:2005-06-11
reply to Zappa2000

The last time Charter had an Epix free weekend, their ad/promotion card didn't arrive in the mail UNTIL the free weekend was over.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Zappa2000
If I remember correctly, during the free preview, you also have access to the VOD for that channel. It would be my guess that the VOD portion is what gets hammered. And they have to maintain usage for those that are actually paying.

I don't see what there is to get upset about. They had planned to offer it free, then decided that they could not. Deal with it, or simply purchase the channel. It's not anyone actually needs a free preview to know what HBO is any more.
--
Google is your Friend