how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simiglen

join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA

[Security] Opinions on Online Backup

Looking for some suggestions on online backup. I have 2 computers (1pc and 1 mac).

-The mac has all data on an external drive (approx. 200 gigs of data). This has mainly client files.
-Pc has all my photos from the beginning of time (total drive space is 550 gig).

Both these drives are data only. I still have the boot drive from both to consider also.

Thanks in advance!

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
I just switched to CrashPlan from Carbonite. Previously used Mozy as well.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to simiglen
Time Capsule?

Oh.... 1 windows box. CrashPlan is ok but slow.

Maybe get a little Drobo SAN?

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to simiglen
CrashPlan or BackBlaze

Youngjm

join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI
reply to simiglen
I use time machine at home and have crashplan as my off-site backup. It also supports backing up of external drives.

tommy3rd
I Am Nuckin Futs
Premium
join:2000-03-10
Clifton, NJ
reply to simiglen
i tried carbonite for a year, and i do not recommend them. Their software support for Macs ain't that great, plus if you plan to backup audio/video stuff or have lots of photos then get ready to be frustrated. The software slows down the computer to a crawl.

jsamuels
Premium
join:2000-07-22
Prospect Heights, IL
reply to simiglen
CrashPlan has been best for me. Like all the services, the first pass takes time. Now, totally seamless and works well in the background.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to simiglen
Although Dropbox is limited to 2GB for free, they do have paid plans.

I use the free Dropbox, Time Machine, and the external hard drives method of backing up my multi-terabyte stuff. I am currently using ChronoSync to automate my backups on a daily and weekly basis, while TM is doing my hourly backup of my user folder.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to jsamuels
Plus you can backup external drives at no added cost!

olepi
Premium
join:2004-07-14
Hagerstown, MD
reply to simiglen
I happen to use jungledisk for my online backups. However, I back up far less than 750 GB. $0.125 per GB per Month will run you around $95 a month. Backing up to a TC or another external drive won't be much help if your house gets nuked.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Time Capsule?

I have 2 3TB Time Capsules on my network, one backs up the iMac, the other backs up the Macbook Air. My only issue is I don't have an off-site backup, and Time Machine does not play well with multiple time-machine drives.

I was looking for an online backup system too, but at 8Mb up, it would take too much time to backup a TB (and growing) of data. I also have a fair amount of discomfort putting all my data on someone else's server.

In my old Linux days, I would simply cut a tape archive and store the tapes off site, the tar could span multiple tapes, so capacity was never a problem.

Perhaps when someone comes out with a thunderbolt tape drive, I will have another look at off-site backups.

Bob
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"