RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

[Need Info] Questions About OpenOffice

I'm thinking of ditching MS Word, and using OpenOffice for Word Processing.

If I email or try to transfer an OpenOffice Word Processing document to another computer, does that other person's computer have to have OpenOffice to open it?

In general, what do you think of OpenOffice?
--
Obama in 2012 - There's No Tea Left In The Bag.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
OO Writer lets you save docs in a variety of formats, including txt, rtf, and MS Word. If you save your doc in OO native format (.odt) then you'll need OO to open it
--
Of course I can keep secrets. It's the people I tell them to that can't keep them.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

If I email or try to transfer an OpenOffice Word Processing document to another computer, does that other person's computer have to have OpenOffice to open it?

No, OpenOffice operates with Word 97-2003 .doc and Excel 97-2003 .xls format files. When you save a document just make sure you're saving it as that type as opposed to OpenOffice's own or some other file format. I don't recall which the defaults give you but you can, obviously, change them.

OpenOffice does not speak the newer Office 2007 and 2010 .docx and .xlsx formats.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL

2 recommendations

reply to lordpuffer
You can also try LibreOffice (a fork of OpenOffice)
The Word processor called Writer will open and save as .docx files.

See '»www.libreoffice.org/features/writer/'

Install it and test it.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to lordpuffer
Thank you all very much for the information!
--

kados
Hail Odin
Premium
join:2003-03-14
Watertown, SD
kudos:1
reply to lordpuffer
I use it for many different things, including my college accounting class..they want excel, I'm not going to buy it. So far, not one single professor has said anything about incompatibility issues....just have to remember to save in the correct format. I did send one assignment in in odt format, but I got an A on the paper, so me thinks the prof. was using OO too.
--
Bla Bla Bla

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
My instances of Word and Excel 2007 here open OpenDocument text (.odt) and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods) format files respectively, along with a wide variety of others.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to jl747
said by jl747:

You can also try LibreOffice (a fork of OpenOffice)
The Word processor called Writer will open and save as .docx files.

See '»www.libreoffice.org/features/writer/'

Install it and test it.

I'll second that. LibreOffice has a few more refinements that make it worth seeking out. I run the portable version to avoid the install size in registry. Associations can still be set in the portable version. Great version of OO.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
I looked at them both, and decided to try LibreOffice.

However, I don't have my PC with me right now, but will have it in a week. I'll post then what I think of the program. Thanks.
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to lordpuffer
I have a couple more questions. I just installed LibreOffice. I did a custom install, so that I could open MS Word documents with Libre.

However, if I create a word document, I want it to be able to open in Libre. I also want to be able to send it to someone (or burn it to disc, etc) so that that person can open it with MS Word. How would I save the document to do this? Do I have to save it twice? If so, with what extensions. Thanks.
--

thomasjk

join:2004-12-07
Charlotte, NC
reply to lordpuffer
I recommend you save your working copy in the native Openoffice format, .odt. Then do File-->Save As and select .doc Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP for those occasions where you need to send it to someone with Word.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

1 edit
Thank you.

EDIT: Just noticed that you are referring to OpenOffice. I have LibreOffice. Probably the same steps, except for the Libre extension.

thomasjk

join:2004-12-07
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
Yes. The same steps.