how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PhreePhly

join:2001-10-24
Redlands, CA

Move to FiOS TV from DirecTV?

Looking for advice from folks who have moved from DirecTV to FiOS TV. I have been a happy DTV customer for almost 10 years. I have FiOS internet (have for the past 2 years) and love that service. I have had billing issues with Verizon that I have never had them with DTV, but they were always resolved well.

I am looking to save some money with the bundle deals, but I don't want to jump into something (and the associated 2-year contract) only to be kicking myself for making the move.

Any quality issues? Any notable missing channels?

Thanks in advance.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·Optimum Online

Quality is somewhat diminished as of late .It seems they are starting to cram more channels in to a qam. Prices are going up etc.. If you like your picture and pricing I would stay. If price minded, I guess you will have to do the math.
If you really don't need a phone you could just use your cell, or maybe Net talk or something similar. VZ Fios phone is $30 with a the triple play. To be honest if we make 30 calls a month on our phone.. its alot. Better off with the cell or other voip per min service.
Lee
--
My opinion on religion and science? Science builds airplanes. Religion flies them into buildings.

PhreePhly

Redlands, CA

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I wasn't looking to add phone, I haven't had a landline in over 2.5 years. I currently am paying almost $100 for DTV and $75 for FiOS internet (25/25). With the new tiers announced, a move to 75/35 plus the Ultimate Package would be about $100/$125. $50/month won't kill me, but it would be nice to pocket as well.

With DTV, the DVR is good, VOD is ok, etc. I've heard the FiOS TV DVR has some quality issues, but I really want to hear from folks that have used both and are not fanbois. Unfortunately, these kind decision end up being long-term contract issues and i don't want to lock myself in. I'd rather use someone else's experience to help in the choice.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Well, here you go. I had Directv for 10 years, switched to FiOS a few years ago. When my contract was up, FiOS didn't offer me anything special to stay, so I went back to Directv. Three months into Directv I was regretting going back and lo and behold, FiOS comes to me with a great offer (that had they offered me when my contract was up, would have kept me at the time) so I decide to switch back.

The FiOS DVR's - the 7232 models, which is what I have - are perfectly fine. Add an external HD and you have a ton of recording space. They are much faster than the molasses slow Directv DVRs. It's not even close - even the new Directv models. I loved the convenience of the Directv five tuner DVR, but it was so slow overall and deathly slow when multiple streams were being recorded.

If you like a lot of HD sports, don't switch. Directv offers so much more in that department. I will say this, since this 1.9.1 update, I've noticed a few more audio/video glitches than before. I don't know what else to attribute it to besides the guide update.

Also (knock wood) I've never lost my FiOS signal for any reason. Not during the crazy October snow storm, not during the hurricane/tropical storms that battered my state last summer. Nothing. Directv? Not so much.

Cost favors FiOS with their bundles.

So there's my two cents. Good luck with your decision.

robjlevin

join:2002-10-30
Millington, NJ
reply to PhreePhly

Call DTV and say cancel at both voice prompts. That will get you to retention. Those CSRs will have the most leeway to give you a better deal.

I'm in the same situation as you in that I have 35/35 and FiOS digital voice and no way in the world would move from DTV to FiOS for TV. But as already stated, I'm a hockey nut and getting just about every game in HD on DTV seals the deal for me.

When all is said and done, only you can make the call.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to HarleyYac

said by HarleyYac:

Quality is somewhat diminished as of late .It seems they are starting to cram more channels in to a qam. Prices are going up etc.. If you like your picture and pricing I would stay. If price minded, I guess you will have to do the math.
If you really don't need a phone you could just use your cell, or maybe Net talk or something similar. VZ Fios phone is $30 with a the triple play. To be honest if we make 30 calls a month on our phone.. its alot. Better off with the cell or other voip per min service.
Lee

While I agree quality has diminished, I think your statement about squeezing more stations into a QAM is misrepresenting what is really happening (unless I missed the new somewhere).

All I have seen is that the providers are sending lower level quality feeds to Verizon (NBC Universal / Comcast to name one). Vz can't clean up a bad signal.

videonex

join:2001-07-22
reply to PhreePhly

Can't give you any user feedback as such but in a purely technical way Fios should be better quality than anything else out there. If you have channel availability issues, check the channel guides online b4 you pull the trigger.

Personally, I am currently in a non Fios area but would kill to get it. I currently use Dish Network for TV and Time Warner for internet with VOIPo phone. In the end, with Dish promos, compared to what I had paid with TWC TV as well, I'm now getting my internet free courtesy of Dish.

I'm planning a move in the next 2 years into a Verizon area and will plan on Fios at that time for TV and internet. Their current promos save me even more over what I pay now.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PhreePhly

I cheerfully moved from DTV to FiOS not quite two years ago and am very happy with that decision. DTV wasn't bad (other being "missing" than during bad weather...), but FiOS is even better when it comes to quality. No station deficit for what I actually watch. Service has been rock solid and I've been very pleased with the recently upgraded DVR, too.

What I was disappointed with when I discontinued DTV is that they refused to understand my explanation of why I was leaving...which was technology focused and not about money. Honestly, I always viewed them as a stop-gap between getting off Comcast and when FiOS would be available here. The latter was delayed awhile due to the township wrangling over things with VZ. The only thing that DTV could understand was price and they just kept pitching and pitching lower and lower priced deals that I wasn't interested in. I finally had to get pretty agressive to get them to stop calling me...at all hours.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·Optimum Online
reply to kes601

I did think there was a new one with more Latin HD cramming the qam. I'll look it up soon..
In this economy, I will be downgrading the TV portion, and seriously thinking about getting rid of phone. I will be trying Bet talk or some other inexpensive VOIP that will work with m alarm over the summer. If all goes well I'll port the number.
Lee
--
My opinion on religion and science? Science builds airplanes. Religion flies them into buildings.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

said by HarleyYac:

I did think there was a new one with more Latin HD cramming the qam. I'll look it up soon..
In this economy, I will be downgrading the TV portion, and seriously thinking about getting rid of phone. I will be trying Bet talk or some other inexpensive VOIP that will work with m alarm over the summer. If all goes well I'll port the number.
Lee

Yeah, but with the new Spanish channels, those are being sent in mpeg-4, which would allow you to put more per QAM.

PhreePhly

Redlands, CA
reply to robjlevin

Yea, I love sports. I watch rugby and soccer, so both Fox soccer and Universal Sports are kind of important.

I'm in Southern California, so I don't think I've experienced weather related outages in the last 10 years, or I can't remember.

Also, how does having the TV affect the internet side of things? How much bandwidth does the ideo stream take? If I'm on 35/35, what is the typical download if the DVR is recording shows?

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by PhreePhly:

Also, how does having the TV affect the internet side of things? How much bandwidth does the ideo stream take? If I'm on 35/35, what is the typical download if the DVR is recording shows?

Doesn't affect it at all.

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

said by bsangs:

said by PhreePhly:

Doesn't affect it at all.

I believe that the PPV/On demand content comes through the internet connection. As such, if you have TV and Internet there is at least an extra 5Mb on top of your download speed. I'm 35/35 also and my speed tests are consistently around 42/35.
--
Roadkill 2015

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to JPL

Cool, thx!!

robjlevin

join:2002-10-30
Millington, NJ
reply to PhreePhly

I have no issues with internet speed at all.

Just to be clear...I'm not trying to talk you into staying or going, but just pointing out that saving a few bucks a month and winding up unhappy with the decision isn't going to be fun.

Think it over carefully especially if you're going to enter into a two year agreement. That's a long time to be stuck watching Center Ice in SD.

kryptonian

join:2005-09-14
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
reply to PhreePhly

OP

About a month and a half ago I decided to leave DTV and Comcast (internet) mainly for financial reasons. I moved to a FIOS triple play. The bundle price I found to be very good! Kudos to FIOS in that area. DTV just cant compete with FIOS bundle pricing.

Regarding your question about quality issues. About two weeks in to my new service, I dropped the TV service and stuck with their phone and 25/25 double play. The main reason being is that I found the FIOS HD pic quality to be very soft compared to DTV. I was completely underwhelmed and very dissapointed. I fell for the hype about FIOS HD being uncompressed, and therefore, being the most sharpest in the biz. Other issues with pic quality too, but I won't elaborate unless you wish. DTV's equipment and GUI are also much better then Verizon's in my opinion.

Roughly a week after I ditched DTV, I got one of their "we want you back" re-connect special pricing offers in the mail. I ended up going back and im glad I did. To be fair to FIOS, I feel their phone and internet services to be very good. The HD quality problems I wrote about are my experience, maybe yours will be different. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to PhreePhly

I switched from DirecTV to FiOS last October and never looked back.

FiOS DVR is much more responsive than DirecTV's equipment. I can't tell the difference in HD PQ between the two services on my 40-inch Sony, but the PQ on the few SD channels that I watch is much better with FiOS. FiOS VOD blows away DirecTV's offerings.

Only if you are a big sports fan would I suggest remaining with DirecTV. It did take five months to get my billing straight...

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PhreePhly

said by PhreePhly:

Looking for advice from folks who have moved from DirecTV to FiOS TV. I have been a happy DTV customer for almost 10 years. I have FiOS internet (have for the past 2 years) and love that service. I have had billing issues with Verizon that I have never had them with DTV, but they were always resolved well.

I am looking to save some money with the bundle deals, but I don't want to jump into something (and the associated 2-year contract) only to be kicking myself for making the move.

Thanks in advance.

Made the move a year ago .... and I'm very happy with FiOS. Still miss DirecTV a little bit, but the latest FiOS DVR software update solved many of my problems.

Good stuff; nothing to fear, make the move and enjoy.

w2kr

join:2000-07-19
Florham Park, NJ

I just moved from DirecTV. I had the old Series 2 TiVo boxes.

About the only thing I miss from DirecTV is the TiVo functionality itself. With the TiVo, if you had a conflict recording a show, if there was a repeat of that "new" episode later in the day or week it would automatically schedule that one.

The FiOS 7232 DVR with IMG 1.9.1 won't reschedule it. It's easy to see the conflict on the GUI. You can then select that show then select an alternate viewing time and it'll reschedule but it requires manual intervention.

Picture quality to me is about the same, but I'm still not using HD.

For the amount of money I save by dropping Cablevision, Verizon POTS (copper) and DirecTV, I can easily tolerate these DVR differences.

PhreePhly

Redlands, CA

Everyone, Thanks for the input. Your comments are helpful. I think I'm going to give the FiOS TV a try. I'm looking at the packages and I'm looking at almost $83/month savings. That's some incentive.

Thanks again

majortom64

join:2004-09-12
Skokie, IL

One thing you might want to consider is getting a TiVo Premiere Elite box (their 4 tuner DVR) or Premiere XL instead of the FiOS DVR. Works much better and has a much better interface although it does not have their On demand service. I have two of them and am really happy with them.

I switched from DirecTv when they stopped supporting TiVo and have been much happier.

PhreePhly

Redlands, CA
reply to PhreePhly

So, I took the plunge and on Wednesday got my FiOS TV installed. As I already had FiOS internet, all that needed to happen was change my ONT to the MOCA connection. The DirecTV installer did a great job of installing the hookups to my sets and put the splitter near the ONT location, making the FiOS tech's job much easier. The tech did have to run a ground wire, as the service was not grounded initially when it was installed 2 years ago.

I got the 7232 DVR, and so far no problems. In fact one thing I like is that button presses react immediately. On the DTV box, there was always a lag.

The channel guide will take some getting used to, or I need to figure out a different mode, but I really like DTV's visual setup better. Seemed easier to browse channels. It could also be that I'm just used to it after 2 years.

The VOD options on FiOS are amazing. I cannot believe how much stuff is available. Very nice.

HD picture quality is as good as the DTV. I see absolutely no difference.

It's early yet, only two days, so I'll come back and do a few updates now and then for others that might be contemplating the same move.

I will say the 75/35 internet boost (from 25/25) is pretty sweet, although I haven't really used that much download capacity, yet. Heck, I haven't found a download service that can feed me that much. Ran some speed tests, and am getting different results. Using BBR speed test, I get 25/35 but using speedtest.com I get 84/35. Not sure what the problem is there. I downloaded Windows 8 RP from MS Technet, which uses the Akamai servers and got around 4.2 MB/s download speed, so better than what 25 Mbps would give me, but not the whole 75 Mbps.

Keano

join:2012-03-14
South Grafton, MA

1 edit
reply to PhreePhly

It looks like you already switched. I hope you read through this thread before making a decision.

»[HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Advice Needed

FSC HD is a F****** DISASTER on Fios. I'm going back to Directv next week.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA
reply to PhreePhly

said by PhreePhly:

Thanks in advance.

IF you are into sports STAY!!!! the billing issues are alive and well, they will F*** you with fees and overages and it takes upwards of 6 months to get it corrected, and if you are like me and get agrevated by openly deceptice practices STAY!!!!!!!!

PhreePhly

Redlands, CA

Too Late, I already switched. So far...so good. Fox Soccer does have the audio issue, and that is a bit annoying. Not sure who is to blame at this point. However, I recorded a game on the DVR and when I rewatched it, no audio issues at all. The only thing my DirecTV had was Direct Ticket, but I knew I was not going to order that anyway.

My first bill seems to have everything in order. I did request the person I dealt with on the phone to breakdown every cost I would expect to see with my setup.

What overages are you talking about, nothing I have has a cap or anything like it? On the internet side? I have had the internet service for 2 years and have never seen an overage charge.

My next adventure is to see how well the Media Manager stuff works. I have all of my DVDs ripped and it would be awesome to access to those as well as my music. I might need to build a small headless file server to run the media manager.