spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09

[help] Hosting at one co, domain at another.. How to forward?

Hi Everyone, I currently have webhosting thru company "A" & domain registered thru company "B". I am trying to get my domain to forward to the hosting so that it will appear as the normal domain, not the "domain" the hosting co provided.

What i can tell is that i would need to change the nameserver so it points to the hosting co, but I am trying to figure out how exactly this points to my site, not another customer's site especially since the nameserver is a generic name.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1

Re: [help] Hosting at one co, domain at another.. How to forward

Your hosting company's nameserver will resolve the domain request's to the proper account 'host'; i.e. your site. As an example every one of Dreamhost's millions of accounts use ns1.dreamhost.com and ns2.dreamhost.com as nameservers. With most domain registrars that is all that is needed; from their control panel simply put the hosts nameserver address' in the proper blanks and a few minutes to a few hours later (depending on how fast the registrars nameservers update to worldwide DNS servers) you'll see your site at the domain.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
Ok I kind of get it now. I have to "add" the domain to my hosting profile so it knows to point to my site.

It's been 4 days & when i goto my domain, its still not bringing up my site.

said by airwavz:

Your hosting company's nameserver will resolve the domain request's to the proper account 'host'; i.e. your site. As an example every one of Dreamhost's millions of accounts use ns1.dreamhost.com and ns2.dreamhost.com as nameservers. With most domain registrars that is all that is needed; from their control panel simply put the hosts nameserver address' in the proper blanks and a few minutes to a few hours later (depending on how fast the registrars nameservers update to worldwide DNS servers) you'll see your site at the domain.

seaman
Premium
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA
cscottm, based on your comments Im not sure you have a clear understanding of the process yet. I like to think about it this way- when I open a browser and type in the name of my web site where does my request go? In my case.. 1. root server. 2. Domain registrar and 3. Web & domain host.

To help you better understand what you should be doing check the following resources-

1. The welcome letter you received from your Web & domain host
2. The Client Support area at your Web & domain host website
3. The technical support phone line (or live chat) at your Web & domain host

You generally dont need to do anything at your Web & domain host... except read their instructions and gather their technical information.

What you most certainly need to do first is login to your Domain Registrars Domain Manager Control Panel and enter the DNS addresses of your Web & domain host.

If you are certain that you have done this correctly then next contact your Web & domain host's technical support team and ask them to throw the magic "On" switch to light up your account. They can help you troubleshoot the issue. Be sure and tell them what DNS addresses that you input at your domain registrar.

Edit: Actually, I am almost certain my description is technically incomplete at best and I expect someone to correct me, which is fine. I am always open to understanding it better.