Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas

Re: Microwave!

said by thedragonmas:

nice, we went about 5 years with out a microwave, (we wound up getting this one »www.walmart.com/catalog/ ··· 14089914 first one we ever owned with a humidity sensor in it)

oddly enough im learning that "microwave safe" isnt actually microwave safe, at least not the stuff we have, the plastic canisters tend to "blister" (warm up chili for 30 seconds, and the things still blister!) even managed to crack a "microwave safe" measuring cup heating up water.

i think its just my choice in "cookware", any suggestions?

Do yourselves and families a favor. DO NOT microwave in plastic.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by slckusr:

yeah im figuring that out, leaning towards ceramic (if i can find some decently priced)

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to slckusr

to slckusr
said by slckusr:

said by thedragonmas:

nice, we went about 5 years with out a microwave, (we wound up getting this one »www.walmart.com/catalog/ ··· 14089914 first one we ever owned with a humidity sensor in it)

oddly enough im learning that "microwave safe" isnt actually microwave safe, at least not the stuff we have, the plastic canisters tend to "blister" (warm up chili for 30 seconds, and the things still blister!) even managed to crack a "microwave safe" measuring cup heating up water.

i think its just my choice in "cookware", any suggestions?

Why?

»www.snopes.com/medical/t ··· stic.asp

Dave
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

1 edit

slckusr

Premium Member

Its your choice. But plastic is very obviously porous, it would only make sense that during the heating process the chemicals breakdown somewhat. Would you eat food out of a baked plastic container? Just a different change in the chemicals.

For example BPA requires no heat to release into its plastic containers contents, wouldnt super exciting those molecules cause a faster more efficient release of the stuff? (i.e. microwaving a babies bottle)

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

said by slckusr:

Its your choice. But plastic is very obviously porous, it would only make sense that during the heating process the chemicals breakdown somewhat. Would you eat food out of a baked plastic container? Just a different change in the chemicals.

For example BPA requires no heat to release into its plastic containers contents, wouldnt super exciting those molecules cause a faster more efficient release of the stuff? (i.e. microwaving a babies bottle)

Aside from the 'Begging the Question' logical fallacy do you have any documented evidence to support your assertion?

I'm not trying to be difficult and would like to know if there really is a threat posed.

Based upon what I have read and 30 years of personally nuking plastic I think not but I may be missing something.

Thanks,

Dave