Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

[Rant] 56k Lookout! (broadband heavy) is closing

Just wanted to take the time to bitch about the decision to close the »56k Lookout! (broadband heavy) forum, effective tomorrow. Don't know what the reasoning is behind it, but I do know it sucks. Way to go to the powers that be.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

1 recommendation

Good riddance. After the rise of Youtube and the rule change so that no discussion of videos was allowed, the place just became a youtube dumping ground where a select few would just post every video they watched. That forum was the reason I joined this site, but I can't think of a better forum to remove now.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

reply to Jodokast96

That's nothing. Locking Octobabble after the crash when it was just a few months from making history as the first DSLR thread to hit the 10K posting mark with over 340K uniques was a truly epic tragedy. C'est la vie.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to Jodokast96

is there a sticky someplace saying so? Not seeing anything official in there.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ

»Re: [video] The theme is ... the end ....

aannoonn

@optonline.net

They should rename the forum "Cool Broadband Bookmarks".

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to Jodokast96

Relive the goold old days - »Take a trip to the beach

PremTech101

@aircloud.com
reply to DC DSL

Honestly I'd rather see those ocotcrapple threads locked then the 56k forum be shut down. Nothing like raising your post count for no apparent reason.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to Weirdal

said by Weirdal:

Good riddance. After the rise of Youtube and the rule change so that no discussion of videos was allowed, the place just became a youtube dumping ground where a select few would just post every video they watched. That forum was the reason I joined this site, but I can't think of a better forum to remove now.

1. What rule change?
2. The "dumping ground" still had PLENTY of content posted on a regular basis that was worthy of praise. Any time that a user like myself can find something like The Butterfly Circus amongst the embedded links, its more than deserving its place in the DSLR community.
3. Are you somehow offended or damaged by your perception that the forum wasn't what you remembered it to be? I'd been occasionally visiting and enjoying other's media finds in that forum since joining, and while there was plenty of chaff to sort from the wheat there was still plenty of nutrition.

I'd just like to understand WHY Justin and/or the mods made the decision, whether its permanent and if there are any replacements planned.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to Jodokast96

I think it's pretty telling that there's a lot less outrage over the closure of the forum than there was over the name change just a few years ago.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to Jodokast96

Gone... now... the Talk forum group looks weird »Social

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Jodokast96

At least we could be told why. Then again I've been moderated countless times for asking why around here so I don't really expect an answer.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Yea i would like to know why also!!!

I think everyone behaved on that base.... Its main purpose was to share videos and stuff.... (Like the "Misc Vids and Images" base on Ogrish)

plk
Premium
join:2002-04-20
united state
reply to Jodokast96

Re: [Rant] 56k Lookout! (broadband heavy) is closing

Just learned it here also. I just thought it was gone for repair as part of last months problem.
That said, it use to be a good source of news clips events etc. Seems like the last yr or two it hasn't been as useful as it once was.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Jodokast96

Ya things are getting worse and worse EVERYDAY

Expand your moderator at work

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Ya things are getting worse and worse EVERYDAY

Man, you can say that again..

so sad.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Weirdal

Re: [Rant] 56k Lookout! (broadband heavy) is closing

said by Weirdal:

I think it's pretty telling that there's a lot less outrage over the closure of the forum than there was over the name change just a few years ago.

Amen to that, that's when I left.
--
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."