Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

Re: [Rave] Windows 7

7 is quite nice! It's 8 that's a big pile 'o you-know-what!

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

3 edits
reply to Sukunai

I can easily go a year without needing to fix anything. Without any anti-malware other than ClamWin that is a on-demand only scanner. I do everything with my computer. Games, TV, browsing, etc

Linux on the other hand on every PC/laptop I owned I had to 'fix' so the installer would run (either no video on boot or freezing mid-install), no video on boot after installing, getting devices to work, and in my most recent endeavor updating a fresh install the package manager stalled on one package completely fubaring everything. It was faster to reinstall and the mighty terminal could not help.

I normally end up compiling a new kernel from vanilla sources because one provided by the distro is buggy, it usually alleviates some problems. My first distro was Slackware, complete opposite of Ubuntu.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

The same here. I do not run any protection at all for years, and no infections whatsoever.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Oleg:

The same here. I do not run any protection at all for years, and no infections whatsoever.

That you know of.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

A lot of people say that, until they go to the doctor and realize they have an infection..

oh wait you're talking about computers. Same rule applies.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 recommendation

said by Rob:

said by Oleg:

A lot of people say that, until they go to the doctor and realize they have an infection..

Still, if you know where to NOT click on the Internet and your firewall is protecting you properly, then you won't get any viruses. I do have Avast installed but it never detected anything.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

Exactly. For average user Anti Virus and Firewall is most have, especially for IE users.

paulsysp
Sunny
Premium
join:2002-02-03
reply to Madness

OT windows 8 is very good, I have had it running for a month now with no issues whatsoever..

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit
reply to Madness

I have found win 7 to run better than xp even on low resource computer like 1.5 ghz 768mb ram.

Also for those remote desktop patchers. You can get a patched file to allow multiple concurrent logins.
So while one person is using the computer, another person can remote desktop on it at the same time without affecting each other. 2 or more people can use the same computer at the same time.

I hope when windows 8 arm is released people quickly hack it for the ipad. I got a free ipad 3 and putting windows 8 on it and being able to run office apps would exponentially increase the utility of the ipad.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by r81984:

I have found win 7 to run better than xp even on low resource computer like 1.5 ghz 768gb ram.

My computer is about a year old and I have 8gb ram. i want 768gb ram like you.
--
Good evening!

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

... I got a free ipad 3 ...

They already have an iPad 3?
--
Good evening!

AndandoPaleo

join:2012-06-21
outer limits
reply to Oleg

I have been very pleased with Win 7. My laptop is noticably faster than any of my XP machines, even though some are superior on paper.
--
Son of a motherless goat.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

I am speechless how good Windows 7 is. I love the speed, the interface.

My daughter loved her brand new laptop with its brand new Windows 7, too - for about a week, or about how long it took us to get all of the most current patches on it, all of her software loaded, and so on. Now it's the same steaming pile of crap that our XP and Vista machines are, and even more troublesome to keep up-to-date, usually. (So much for the "superiority" of that version.) Her mom wants a Mac; she will probably be not too far behind, especially since she will be going to college before long.

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to GlennAllen

said by GlennAllen:

said by Sukunai:

I wonder if some day they will make a Windows that can survive a year not needing to be fixed?

(1) Why should Windows be any different from every other OS?
(2) As soon as everything else in the world stops being fixed/updated/changed/created/etc.

Don't use Windows as a yardstick for "quality" in judging other operating systems, especially enterprise-class ones (Windows is still a toy in comparison, as are some others). To do so makes you look ill-informed.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to paulsysp

said by paulsysp:

OT windows 8 is very good, I have had it running for a month now with no issues whatsoever..

Give it time, give it time .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Mclean, VA

1 edit
reply to BigBlarg

said by BigBlarg:

said by Rob:

said by Oleg:

Still, if you know where to NOT click on the Internet and your firewall is protecting you properly, then you won't get any viruses. I do have Avast installed but it never detected anything.

Knowing where "not to click" is rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things anymore. A decent chunk of malware is distributed via java drive-bys through compromised websites.

A common scenario:
A website you regularly visit is compromised via XSS, they dump some base64 encoded JS into an iframe or load up a 0x0 applet, and use blackhole or another exploit kit to bypass the sandbox. Then, load your system up with a commonly distributed Win32.Gen**Backdoor that would have been detected, had you been running the appropriate security software. Yes, there are drive-bys on the internet; unlike in RL, there's no "bang" to go with it.

Truthfully, how many of you "I don't run AV" people actually run with Java disabled in your browsers?

On topic, Windows 7 is great. I will not be purchasing Windows 8, it reminds me of Vista.
--
"If it can't be done with brains, it can't be done with hours" - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

As I tell anyone who states this, YOU may not be the ultimate target here, so YOU may never see the direct effects of an infection. Many people are unknowingly running bot software in the background, which has little or no effect on their system but is being used to attack other systems or to send spam or whatever. Or they may have software which is quietly waiting to harvest their banking or other financial info or passwords or whatever, so it's taking pains to lie low and keep itself invisible.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Madness

said by Madness:

7 is quite nice! It's 8 that's a big pile 'o you-know-what!

That's why we wait until Windows 9..

same happened with windows ME, vista...

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to mastsethi

i love windows 7. why did they release windows 8 so soon couldnt they wait a year or 2

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

because they don't want to feel left behind? So they wanted a huge big change.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

said by Subaru:

because they don't want to feel left behind? So they wanted a huge big change.

Yep. Microsoft is on top of the corporate greed list. Now as you know it IE9 works only with Win 7. Why? They want you to buy the new OS.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I only use IE7 to log in to view my paycheck because it does not work in firefox.. other then that I never use IE.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

1 recommendation

i still use ie8 i have not and will not upgrade to ie9.

i still think windows 7 should stick arround for a few more years.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

said by Paolo:

i still use ie8 i have not and will not upgrade to ie9.

i still think windows 7 should stick arround for a few more years.

I agree. IE9 is a huge pile of you know what. If some sites do not work with Firefox, IE8 works just fine.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

thanks oleg.