how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hooper123456

join:2012-06-10
Cool, CA

[Line Problem] DSL connection problems in Norcal

I am having intermittent connection problems with my DSL line. The modem will say it still has a connection (green light) yet I will have to power cycle or reset it to get my internet browsing functionality back.

This is a new modem that I recently purchased because my old modem would no longer power on. It is an ATT model.

Here are my stats:

User Rate 6016 kbs 768 kbs
Max User Rate 6624 kbs 1164 kbs
Noise Margin 8.3 dB 15.0 dB
Attenuation 31.5 dB 20.0 dB
Output Power 15.7 dBm 11.9 dBm

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
Your attenuation is reasonably low, but the max user rate is too close to your sync rate. It would seem that the line doesn't have enough noise margin to maintain sync through a noise burst.

Your line may be picking up cross talk noise from other loops in the cable bundle or from other noise sources.

I can't explain why you have to power cycle to re-acquire a connection.
--
TCE Weather

Hooper123456

Cool, CA

1 edit
reply to Hooper123456
Well it did it again this morning. My margin was down to 3.6 and I lost internet. Then I power cycled my modem and got my internet browsing back.

Now, the margin is up to 13.5 on the downstream and the max speed is 8800 w/1200 up.

One thing I have noticed is that it says my uncanceled echo is 'suspicious' at -1.7db. I looked this up and it says filters etc but I have no alarm and only one phone hooked up/unplugging it doesn't do anything. Could this be bad wiring inside the home? Or do I need to call ATT?

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to Hooper123456
One way to eliminate the possibility of a problem with inside wiring is to check the stats at your NID. If the uncanceled echo disappears during a test at the NID, then you know where the problem lies.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID.
--
TCE Weather

Hooper123456

Cool, CA
reply to Hooper123456
Thanks for the reply.

Uncanceled echo still showed up at the panel but today it's mysteriously gone. So now I've got to figure out if it's the modem (which looked suspiciously like a refurb unit when I unpacked it) or the line.