how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick21

join:2010-02-03
New York, NY

Best DOCSIS 3.0 Equip?

I have my own SBG6580 but looking to buy a new 3.0 gateway for my Wideband 50/5 service. What is the best solution? Not looking to spend more than $150 or so. Thanks.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

The sbg6580 is one of the best, if not the best. Anything motorola.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

Unfortunately I haven't heard of anything better than the SBG6580.

The SBG6580 is pretty terrible as a gateway. I experienced performance degradation after a couple days, after which I'd have to power cycle to get above 30mbps (I have 50mbps service). Some don't seem to have this issue, but I'm not the only one who's seen this problem. Hopefully it gets addressed in a future firmware update.

When I bridge it as a modem, it seems to be solid, so at least that part works. If I were to buy my own, I'd probably just get a 6121 and a separate router.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to Nick21

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a perfect all in one. If you want the best, you'll want a modem, and a wifi router.

Personally I've chosen the sb6120 d3 only modem with a dlink dir-655. The 655 has been getting some bad reviews as of late, they must be using different hardware since their first launched models, which is what I bought years ago. I get my cap speeds 24/7, with my other half browsing away. I've had to reboot the router maybe once a year, and I don't think I've ever had to reboot the modem, except I do like to reboot each every few months.

I've heard of people putting their setups on a timer, so they reboot at say 3am everyday just to try to keep things going smoothly.

dustman81

join:2002-05-28
Tallmadge, OH
reply to djrobx

said by djrobx:

Unfortunately I haven't heard of anything better than the SBG6580.

The SBG6580 is pretty terrible as a gateway. I experienced performance degradation after a couple days, after which I'd have to power cycle to get above 30mbps (I have 50mbps service). Some don't seem to have this issue, but I'm not the only one who's seen this problem. Hopefully it gets addressed in a future firmware update.

When I bridge it as a modem, it seems to be solid, so at least that part works. If I were to buy my own, I'd probably just get a 6121 and a separate router.

Time Warner doesn't allow new activations of the SB6121, at least in NE Ohio. They do allow the SB6141, which I have on order from Amazon.

In fact, the SB6141 and the SBG6580 are the only customer-owned DOCSIS 3 modems they allow.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Nick21

sbg6580 is garbage in my experience if you ever use its gateway features.....

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dustman81

said by dustman81:

They do allow the SB6141, which I have on order from Amazon.

In fact, the SB6141 and the SBG6580 are the only customer-owned DOCSIS 3 modems they allow.

The SB6141 is on my shopping list. I'll always choose the plainest setup possible because having a separate modem and router makes troubleshooting and changing providers easier.

I started tracking the 6141 on Amazon in March when it was around $80 and now it's $99.96. However I see it on eBay now for about $80.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

dustman81

join:2002-05-28
Tallmadge, OH

I was able to order it used from an Amazon reseller for $69.99 + shipping, so for about $75 total.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to dustman81

said by dustman81:

Time Warner doesn't allow new activations of the SB6121, at least in NE Ohio. They do allow the SB6141, which I have on order from Amazon.

I don't see the SBG 6141 on the consumer market. When I go to Best Buy, the only Motorola D3 modems I see on the shelf are the 6121 and the 6580.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Nick21

sb6141 is new and due to high demand its still hard to find in stock anywhere or anyone selling it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to kilrathi

said by kilrathi:

sbg6580 is garbage in my experience if you ever use its gateway features.....

Only a issue if you do not know how to configure network equipment.

Wireless G No other manufacture can touch 26mbps over wireless g
most are 18 to 20mbps or so

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

yea too bad if you on timewarner in nyc they lock this modem out from you and you have only choice of gateway or bridge config and you cant configure anything on the modem. This is why partially at least in nyc time warner 6580 modem is bad choice.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21

updated the driver on the wifi card and now it's working on N speeds getting 30/5 easy

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to kilrathi

said by kilrathi:

sb6141 is new and due to high demand its still hard to find in stock anywhere or anyone selling it.

Luckily got mine when Amazon had them back in April. Been working great for me.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Nick21

I have 6141 on order but unless TW actually fix signal issues on the line here locally it wont matter.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Anonymous_

Only a issue if you do not know how to configure network equipment.

Oh, I promise I know how to configure network equipment. It's garbage for my 50/5 service. If it works for you, great.

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Nick21

join:2010-02-03
New York, NY
reply to Nick21

Yeah the gateway features are very limited. Is the SB6180 the newest product or is that the SB6141? I might just sell my SBG6580 and go that route + new router. Thanks everyone.

tek860

join:2011-10-07
New York, NY
reply to IowaCowboy

I have an ARRIS TG852G wish Ive been extremely happy with until the last 2 weeks. I have signature home with wide band extreme 50/5 service. My speeds were always rock solid at 45-52 down and 4-7 up. Now im getting half that. I suspect its not the router though, I have a feeling TWC is throttling speeds. Im about to call them now actually.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

said by tek860:

I have a feeling TWC is throttling speeds. Im about to call them now actually.

TWC doesn't throttle. It's been said many times on the forums, more than likely it is probably congestion or a signal issue.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to Nick21

I think the Motorolas are overrated just because they're a better known brand.

After having severe T3 timeout errors I got a Ubee DDW3611. It was only $60 for a used one off eBay. It's larger than the Motorola models and I think it's got some pretty beefy hardware in it. 4 Ethernet ports, gigabit, supports wireless N, etc.

It is one of the few models on Time Warner's approved devices list and it supports 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels.

My connection has been perfect for days now after weeks of the SBG6850 and SB6141 rebooting constantly all day. There is definitely something in Motorola's firmware that does not play as nicely with Time Warner's network as Ubee's does.

Here's review from Amazon of the Motorola SB6141:

quote:
I decided to give Motorola's new "dumb modem" offering for DOCSIS 3.0 without all the built-in router garbage a try after experiencing regular disconnects with my ISP (Time Warner) due to T3/T4 timeout errors when I would upload files. I had Motorola's gateway, the SBG6580, which this modem is based off of. My SBG6580 would drop connection and reboot every 30 minutes or so during a sustained upload. Sometimes it could go hours without a problem.

Much to my displeasure, the SB6141 seems to have a problem in its firmware which exacerbates T3 timeouts. After adding this model to my account I would upload at max speed and my connection would drop within a minute! The worst thing was that the SB6141 was even slower at 'catching the problem': My connection would drop and then it would take a couple of minutes for the modem to reboot itself. The SBG6580 would reboot within seconds of my connection dropping.

The Time Warner lead tech was dumbfounded as they could find no problem with my signal levels and neither could their tier 3 support identify the issue.

I googled the T3 timeout issues and disconnects to find a plethora of people across different ISPs (Comcast, Time Warner) having the same issue with the SBG6580. This SB6141 model did not have as many results, but it is much newer. Its deployment is not as widespread as the older SBG6580. It does not surprise me that there are similarities within both models' firmwares, as both are made by Motorola.

So I decided to try a modem from a completely different manufacturer. The Ubee DDW3611, which is on Time Warner's approved devices list as well. Since putting the Ubee on my account all of my disconnection issues have stopped. I have uploaded with the Ubee modem for 24 hours straight at full speed without an issue. An examination of the Ubee's event log finds no errors in it at all, whereas my Motorola modems would be filled with T3 and T4 timeouts, DCC-ACK errors, etc. So whatever the issue is, Motorola's firmware is definitely more sensitive to it. I googled T3 timeout errors and drops for the Ubee DDW3611 and found no large complaint threads like I found with Motorola's modems. This would indicate to me that the Ubee is a more reliable performer than Motorola's DOCSIS 3.0 offerings.

This modem is likely being highly rated by people who have flawless signal quality and/or do not actually use their full upload speed for extended periods of time (hours). It is also a strong possibility that there is something quirky about how Time Warner has configured their DOCSIS 3.0 network in my area that Motorola's firmware does not like but others in different areas have a different configuration which the Motorola firmware plays nice with.

I would be concerned about this modem's reliability if you are a heavy bandwidth user. Just google "SBG6580 T3 timeout" or "SB6141 T3 timeout" for more information.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by 09129800:

... I got a Ubee DDW3611...
It is one of the few models on Time Warner's approved devices list and it supports 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels.

quote:
...The Ubee DDW3611, which is on Time Warner's approved devices list as well...

Thanks for the info. Can you cite a source saying it's approved for Time Warner?

I didn't find it on this list:
»www.timewarnercable.com/midwest/···ice+list

And the first two sale offers on eBay specifically say it's NOT on Time Warner's list.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Ubee-DDW3611-DO···b0207cac

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ubee-DDW361···68f862ae
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

Couch Potato
What?
Premium
join:2004-08-29
Troutman, NC

said by ArgMeMatey:

said by 09129800:

quote:

Thanks for the info. Can you cite a source saying it's approved for Time Warner?

I couldn't find it on the east list either...

»www.timewarnercable.com/East/sup···ice+List
--
My posts are of my own opinion, not my employer's.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to ArgMeMatey

said by ArgMeMatey:

said by 09129800:

quote:

And the first two sale offers on eBay specifically say it's NOT on Time Warner's list.

It's listed as approved on this list:
»www.timewarnercable.com/Midwest/···ces.html

Interesting. Level 3 had no problems attaching it to my account and it's been working fine. So even if it's not "approved," all you have to do is get someone competent to activate it for you.

Also, the DDW3611 is a modem given out to Time Warner DOCSIS 3.0 customers in other markets. Search "DDW3611" in this forum and you'll find a bunch of results from Time Warner customers across the country who were given this model. That is why I chose this particular Ubee model.

So it would be really quite ridiculous if you couldn't find someone to activate this model on your account. I'd keep calling Time Warner back until you find someone who is reasonable...

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by 09129800:

It's listed as approved on this list:
»www.timewarnercable.com/Midwest/···ces.html

Thanks. Judging by the escalating prices of the 6141, I am wondering if providers are scooping up everything Motorola can manufacture. The lack of mainstream market availability of any of the five (5) DOCSIS 3.0 units on TW's list also might indicate this.

Or I suppose it could be a conspiracy, etc.

Since I am currently just running at 10 Mbps, I am considering just buying a DPC2100 at a tenth of the price and using it until they "obsolete" it. At that point there will probably be a better selection of proven DOCSIS 3.0 equipment, at a better price.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb