sholling
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA

sholling to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: Need a GPS with these features

That would be a Garmin nĂ¼vi 2595LMT ($230 @ Amazon) which includes lifetime maps and traffic with their great navigation features. The only question is how long can Garmin and others survive with more and more people using their smart phones and Google Maps for navigation. I'm still using my several years old Garmin 765t and like it a lot - except for the crappy touchscreen. Hopefully they've fixed that in newer versions.

»www.amazon.com/Garmin-Po ··· 05DIBHA6

BTW I wouldn't be surprised if they did a model refresh in the fall. I don't have any inside information but they seem to do it around then.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I've used google nav on my phone but when you are in a area of no cell service then it becomes useless.. When I was in beaverdam, VA it was pretty much nothing.

but yeah I saw that model on Amazon last night and I was also looking at the tomtom GO LIVE 2535M the subscription service seems nice.. I can't find any direct comparison between the two but they say the real time traffic updates on the tomtom might be a little bit better.

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling

Premium Member

I still mostly use my old Garmin but as an Android phone user I'm intrigued by Google's plan to modify their Android app to allow you to download maps of the surrounding area to your phone. Just enough of the surrounding area to avoid problems with cell coverage but not so much that it hogs space. Another option if you're an iPerson is Garmin's Navigon ($60) for the iPhone which supposedly stores maps on the phone.

One thing that appears to be missing from the Garmin's 2595 is full Bluetooth address book integration but that's not confirmed. It's available in some models but the reviews of the functionality are mixed and there appears to be some confusion about which models work with the phone's address book. That's something that I hope to see improved in next year's models.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

That was long overdue with Google and Google nav, I already have a gps unit but navigon stopped US operations for PND's so the maps are pretty much outdated.. last time I used it I was on a new road in the downtown area of N.C. and it shows me driving on a field.

I never cared much for the built in bluetooth on the nav systems because like you said they don't really show the phone book and unless I know that persons number in my head I most likely will just let it go to voice mail.

And the fact (may not be true now) but it's hard to hear the caller or the caller has a hard time hearing me well.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to sholling

Premium Member

to sholling
The problem with downloading surrounding areas to the phone... 1) will you always know you won't have phone service in that area and 2) what a _huge_ pain! When I use my phone for navagation I'm in the vehicle driving. I'm not at home downloading maps so I will have them just in case my data connection is not good.

I still use my stand alone GPS unit all of ther time. I also have a few apps, such as iGo and Navagon installed on my phone. I get lost a lot.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to sholling

Premium Member

to sholling
said by sholling:

The only question is how long can Garmin and others survive with more and more people using their smart phones and Google Maps for navigation.

I found Google Navigation completely useless when I especially need it - without data connection. And it failed many times on me

So, I guess the only reliable way to navigate now is to use off-line navigation program (not much to choose from at this time) or use dedicated devices like Garmin and others. Google Navigation is a toy, not a reliable tool here...

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling

Premium Member

said by OZO:

So, I guess the only reliable way to navigate now is to use off-line navigation program (not much to choose from at this time) or use dedicated devices like Garmin and others. Google Navigation is a toy, not a reliable tool here...

I use my Garmin for 90% of my GPS Navigation but Google maps is getting better and as of recently has some limited off-line capability. Garmin also has the completely stored on the phone Navigon for the iPhone/iPad. But as much as I'd like Garmin to survive and an excuse to buy a new 3590LMT I just don't see them as able to compete in the automobile GPS market more than a couple of more years. I'm sure that the trucker, hiker and aviation GPS business will be around for years to come but not for cars.

What I'd like them to do is make a powerful Android GPS app for $99 (30 free trial) and then sell annual map maintenance for $20/yr with at least 6 map updates per year. My latest phone (due next week) will have 96GB of storage and I'd happily dedicate 2GB of that to maps. They could tie in social traffic reports and on the fly map corrections. Garmin could continue the car navigation business by creating and maintaining the best phone and tablet GPS software and by selling up to date map and red light camera subscriptions.