uniqs
share rss forum feed

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

Been taking practice General exams

Getting there! I'm passing them now; sometimes good, other times barely passing. So, more studying to make sure I really grasp it, but I think I'll go take my test on July 14 when it's offered a few towns over.

The General is much more technical than the Technician. More math and electronic theory, but it's fun learning. With a little luck, I'll soon be KB3YLQ/AG.
--
New to ham radio - advice from Elmers appreciated!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

Good luck with the General.

HF awaits.

black knight
Premium
join:2004-06-22
Oxford, CT
reply to pianotech

Best of luck on the test.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
reply to DrStrange

said by DrStrange:

Good luck with the General.

HF awaits.

Thanks! Yes, HF awaits! Not in time for Field Day, but our club has a lot of Extras, so I'll be able to get in on some of the fun.
--

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
reply to black knight

said by black knight:

Best of luck on the test.

Thank you!
--

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to pianotech

Good luck with General, but it's not as hard as many make it out to be. It helps if you spend some time learning the theory too.

Extra is significantly more difficult, but if you learn the theory you'll be able to do it.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
West Hartford, CT

I'll second fifty nine See Profile's comment.

I can make a good comparison because I took all three exams at once. General didn't seem that much more difficult than Tech. Extra is definitely more difficult [and there are 50 'more difficult' questions, not 35]. There was one question that required some math I hadn't used since high school. I'll bet that was one of the answers I missed.

Get your theory down and learn the rules and regs, and you should be fine.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

reply to pianotech

said by pianotech:

The General is much more technical than the Technician. More math and electronic theory, but it's fun learning. With a little luck, I'll soon be KB3YLQ/AG.

How about learning the theory instead of the answers to the questions.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA

said by burner50:

said by pianotech:

How about learning the theory instead of the answers to the questions.

How about not making assumptions about what I'm doing?
--

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
reply to DrStrange

said by DrStrange:

I'll second fifty nine See Profile's comment.

I can make a good comparison because I took all three exams at once. General didn't seem that much more difficult than Tech. Extra is definitely more difficult [and there are 50 'more difficult' questions, not 35]. There was one question that required some math I hadn't used since high school. I'll bet that was one of the answers I missed.

Get your theory down and learn the rules and regs, and you should be fine.

Yeah, that's what I'm working on. The formulas and equations are what I'm working on. I'm giving myself another month to absorb it and get it down. The test is a little over a month away. If I'm not ready then, I'll just wait till next month.
--

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

Good luck with General, but it's not as hard as many make it out to be. It helps if you spend some time learning the theory too.

Extra is significantly more difficult, but if you learn the theory you'll be able to do it.

Yes, the theory is what's taking a while to get. With the Technician class, there was no RMS voltage, no calculating capacitance, etc. So there's more to learn that's in-depth stuff, as opposed to the Technician class material which is pretty basic.
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

learning the theory instead of the answers

That's the problem I am having with the Extra. I am trying to learn the theory, and it just doesn't want to sink in for some reason.

I tried the Gordon West book. Did my first two licenses on the ARRL books though... think I will just order the Extra book from them and go with what I know...
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to pianotech

My problem with upgrading is that I simply don't care...

I can't learn it because I don't use it, (kinesthetic learning style for me) and I don't really care to use it. I have no interest in HF so upgrading really doesn't appeal to me.
--

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

I started out not operating HF at all, but I took it all the way to Extra because I could do it and I didn't want to be restricted at all.

Also, if you travel you only get novice privileges with a General (in Europe). That's something else to consider.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to neonhomer

said by neonhomer:

said by burner50:

learning the theory instead of the answers

That's the problem I am having with the Extra. I am trying to learn the theory, and it just doesn't want to sink in for some reason.

I tried the Gordon West book. Did my first two licenses on the ARRL books though... think I will just order the Extra book from them and go with what I know...

Do you have anybody local you know who can help you? Sometimes what you really need is an elmer (mentor).

Feel free to ask for help here with anything you are having trouble with. I'll try to help you and I'm sure others will too. I used to teach classes for amateur radio exams in two different countries.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

I started out not operating HF at all, but I took it all the way to Extra because I could do it and I didn't want to be restricted at all.

Also, if you travel you only get novice privileges with a General (in Europe). That's something else to consider.

If I go to europe, ham radio is the last thing that will be on my mind
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to fifty nine

I could probably get some help from some of the local ARES guys.... If I can ever find time between working, school, and writing..

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to pianotech

I still recommend using the "flash cards" on hamexam.org, As you go through it, if you don't know the answer (even if you guessed correctly) pause and research it a bit if learn why the correct answer is correct.

Learning all the theory behind the higher class exams would likely take years. Using the exams you get a "focused" study guide. I've been a radio engineer for 30+ years and I still miss a few theory questions every now and then.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pianotech

Don't memorize the Letter with the answer. The night before I took my test I practiced over and over with some online tests. When I took the text I noticed that the answers were all the same but they were not in the same letter order as my practice tests. I remember thinking how glad I was that I knew the answers by the correct answer and not the letter.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA

said by battleop:

Don't memorize the Letter with the answer. The night before I took my test I practiced over and over with some online tests. When I took the text I noticed that the answers were all the same but they were not in the same letter order as my practice tests. I remember thinking how glad I was that I knew the answers by the correct answer and not the letter.

Thanks. I'm pretty much doing it the old-fashioned way; reading a chapter and taking notes, then after a few days of studying, taking a practice exam. That shows me where I need more work and I go back and hit those chapters again.

I do want to learn the theory so I know both what I'm doing and what I'm talking about! I have exactly a month until the test, so by then I should be good to go.
--

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to SmokChsr

said by SmokChsr:

Learning all the theory behind the higher class exams would likely take years.

It took me less than a year for a more difficult exam than the US Extra class.

Even if it takes years, all the more reason to learn the theory. Once you learn the theory you have a solid foundation to build and operate your station.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pianotech

I read several books then took some practice tests the evening before. Then I took the test the day after they dropped the code requirement for General.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by SmokChsr:

That was "ALL" the theory. I've taken quite a few certification exams, in the radio and electronics fields. Then again once you learn so much theory you start forgetting some of it. To sit down and try to actually learn theory can be painful. Yet once you can go out and play with it a bit then it's easier to understand.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by SmokChsr:

said by fifty nine:

said by SmokChsr:

That was "ALL" the theory. I've taken quite a few certification exams, in the radio and electronics fields. Then again once you learn so much theory you start forgetting some of it. To sit down and try to actually learn theory can be painful. Yet once you can go out and play with it a bit then it's easier to understand.

Yup, it was all the theory for me too. The City and Guilds RAE in the UK covers everything from the basics of electricity right up to power amplifiers and EMC.

It helped that I had a willing elmer to not only answer questions but also to show me stuff in the school ham shack. I also built electronic projects here and there and spent a lot of time SWLing to learn radio propagation.

I wish there was a practical requirement for amateur radio licensing such as they have in other countries, it would make the experience richer for many and keep people interested, IMO.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA

Found a test session 13 miles away yesterday morning and went for it. Got my General just in time for Field Day!

Loren
KB3YLQ/AG
--

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
West Hartford, CT
reply to pianotech

Congrats and have fun next weekend!

73 de AB1NH

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA

said by DrStrange:

Congrats and have fun next weekend!

73 de AB1NH

Thank you! Now to search for that HF rig...:)
--

black knight
Premium
join:2004-06-22
Oxford, CT
reply to pianotech

Congrats and enjoy the new Privileges