fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to SmokChsr

Re: Been taking practice General exams

said by SmokChsr:

Learning all the theory behind the higher class exams would likely take years.

It took me less than a year for a more difficult exam than the US Extra class.

Even if it takes years, all the more reason to learn the theory. Once you learn the theory you have a solid foundation to build and operate your station.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pianotech

I read several books then took some practice tests the evening before. Then I took the test the day after they dropped the code requirement for General.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by SmokChsr:

That was "ALL" the theory. I've taken quite a few certification exams, in the radio and electronics fields. Then again once you learn so much theory you start forgetting some of it. To sit down and try to actually learn theory can be painful. Yet once you can go out and play with it a bit then it's easier to understand.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by SmokChsr:

said by fifty nine:

said by SmokChsr:

That was "ALL" the theory. I've taken quite a few certification exams, in the radio and electronics fields. Then again once you learn so much theory you start forgetting some of it. To sit down and try to actually learn theory can be painful. Yet once you can go out and play with it a bit then it's easier to understand.

Yup, it was all the theory for me too. The City and Guilds RAE in the UK covers everything from the basics of electricity right up to power amplifiers and EMC.

It helped that I had a willing elmer to not only answer questions but also to show me stuff in the school ham shack. I also built electronic projects here and there and spent a lot of time SWLing to learn radio propagation.

I wish there was a practical requirement for amateur radio licensing such as they have in other countries, it would make the experience richer for many and keep people interested, IMO.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

Found a test session 13 miles away yesterday morning and went for it. Got my General just in time for Field Day!

Loren
KB3YLQ/AG
--
New to ham radio - advice from Elmers appreciated!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to pianotech

Congrats and have fun next weekend!

73 de AB1NH

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

said by DrStrange:

Congrats and have fun next weekend!

73 de AB1NH

Thank you! Now to search for that HF rig...:)
--
New to ham radio - advice from Elmers appreciated!

black knight
Premium
join:2004-06-22
Oxford, CT
reply to pianotech

Congrats and enjoy the new Privileges