TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

[Rant] "beep!"

Why is it that just about everything with a beeper in it has to beep on power-up?

During the night we had several power bumps. Every time the power came back up, the microwave, range, cordless phone base, washer, dryer, etc goes "beep!".

If it wasn't for that... I would have had a good uninterrupted night's sleep.

Why do programmers insist on having all these devices "beep" during their power-up/initialization sequence? Totally not necessary.

/rant

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 recommendation

Re: [Rant] "beep!"

Definitely agree....annoying has hell. These same programmers must be the ones responsible for the glowing LED to indicate a device is 'off'.
--
Zach

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

"glowing" would be ok; it's "flashing brightly" that's the problem!

Blue LEDs = me-too designer who thinks he's a trend-setter.

netsurfer1

join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA
reply to TheMG

I don't know. But beep beep sounds good to my ear. It's weird but I like to hear those beeping everywhere!

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
reply to TheMG

I agree with you. The worse one was the beeper in my UPS. It beeps every 5 seconds to tell me there is no power and I'm running on battery. It's there to keep my cable modem and VoIP adapter online.

I ended up cutting the wire to the beeper.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

said by BigBlarg:

I agree with you. The worse one was the beeper in my UPS. It beeps every 5 seconds to tell me there is no power and I'm running on battery. It's there to keep my cable modem and VoIP adapter online.

...how else would you know it was on battery then? Aside from the smartass remark about the rest of the lights being out, seriously...how else should it communicate it to you?
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to BigBlarg

said by BigBlarg:

I agree with you. The worse one was the beeper in my UPS. It beeps every 5 seconds to tell me there is no power and I'm running on battery.

I can not stand the beeper on my UPS. I am suppose to be able to turn the beep off by holding the power button for like 3 seconds. Problem is, if I hold it for like 4 it shuts the whole thing off and the equipment goes off with it.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:3
reply to TheMG

Could be worse, they might have used Air Horns instead!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

reply to TheMG

Computers beep (well some do) at start up to give you certain information. Like a single beep means all is good. A long continuous beep might mean your RAM isn't seated properly. Etc. I imagine other devices that beep do so for similar purposes.

I suggest that you not sleep so close to the microwave, range, cordless phone base, washer and dryer. None of those should be in your bedroom.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to Zach1

said by Zach1:

Definitely agree....annoying has hell. These same programmers must be the ones responsible for the glowing LED to indicate a device is 'off'.

The constant LEDs piss me off. Even for when something is turned on. I don't need a fucking LED at the front of my TV to let me know it is turned on. When you are trying to have as dark a room as possible for movie viewing that LED at the front of the TV really messes it up. I covered mine with some electrical tape. It looks honky but it does the job.

A non

@151.190.0.x
reply to TheMG

How else are you supposed to know if the beeper is working or not?

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to TheMG

What the BEEP man.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to TheMG

Power outages are (or should be) a very rare event. A beep will indicate that the device is powered to assist in troubleshooting.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by BigBlarg:

Mine is in the basement where I can't hear it when I'm sleeping. Also it's set so it won't beep on short outages. One quick press of the "on" button silences it.

said by thegeek:

I suggest that you not sleep so close to the microwave, range, cordless phone base, washer and dryer. None of those should be in your bedroom.

They (except for the washer and dryer) are in the kitchen across from my room. The door does not insulate the beeping enough for it not to wake me up.

The washer dryer are in the laundry closet just outside the bedroom, where I can easily hear them beeping.

I miss the days where appliances had simple mechanical controls.

said by cowboyro:

A beep will indicate that the device is powered to assist in troubleshooting.

The lack of any display/lights would serve the same purpose.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to TheMG

You can hear those damn beeps all over the house. Closed doors or no.

The worst was a microwave that had to beep every minute after it was done cooking. Would keep it up until you opened the door. No way to turn it off. If I want to leave food in the mw until I finish what I'm currently doing, that's my business.

I promptly get rid of all the sounds on the computer. Ubuntu obeys no sounds. So does XP.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to TheMG

It makes a great deal of sense on an electric range.

It's night, you're cooking, all the lights go out. The first thing you do is find a light-source, be it candle, flashlight, lantern, etc. There are many distractions in those first few minutes that could pull you away from your stove (scared children, etc). When the power comes back on and the stove 'beeps', it may serve as a reminder to chec k and make sure you turned the eye(s) off.

One life saved is worth much more than your minimal inconvenience.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by fruhead:

When the power comes back on and the stove 'beeps', it may serve as a reminder to chec k and make sure you turned the eye(s) off.

One flaw with that idea... the controls for that stove are electronic (no physical knobs or switches). All elements and the oven default back to OFF if the power is interrupted.

aannoonn

@optonline.net

So it beeps to remind you to turn the oven back on, avoiding food poisoning.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

said by fruhead:

When the power comes back on and the stove 'beeps', it may serve as a reminder to chec k and make sure you turned the eye(s) off.

One flaw with that idea... the controls for that stove are electronic (no physical knobs or switches). All elements and the oven default back to OFF if the power is interrupted.

I have no idea of your brand/model - I was referring to my own, the only experience I have with an electric range. I would assume the alert tone is an industry standard or a standard on the circuit board that controls the range. To make two different models for the option of alert/no alert is not financially sound. Even the modifications to enable/disable the alert is more expensive than it's worth.

I recommend earplugs.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Zach1

said by Zach1:

And even when its off, its not really off.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

said by Zach1:

The constant LEDs piss me off. Even for when something is turned on. I don't need a fucking LED at the front of my TV to let me know it is turned on. When you are trying to have as dark a room as possible for movie viewing that LED at the front of the TV really messes it up. I covered mine with some electrical tape. It looks honky but it does the job.

I did the same thing. blue led if tv is on, red if off. I think i know when the tv is on or off. mines got a black bezel so it dont look "honky"

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to TheMG

My biggest violator: CO monitor. it lets out 3 trilling high pitched LOUD beeps to let me know its on battery power.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

said by thegeek:

said by Zach1:

I did the same thing. blue led if tv is on, red if off. I think i know when the tv is on or off. mines got a black bezel so it dont look "honky"

I feel your frustration, but a lot of times, especially with kids, they would leave our old TV on, but would have it set to a digital input or something that was off or not playing anything, so had a black screen. Casually going by you'd think it was off, so I've kinda trained myself to look for this....so it does help some folks. I only buy Samsung TV's, and thankfully they're pretty good about the LED thing. Our LCD in the living room has a red LED when off, and nothing when on....but I do absolutely agree that, on the whole, LED's are way over used. I have a USB hub that has a bright ass blue LED on it that will illuminate a room. It's a powered hub, so I assume they're trying to let me know it has power, but the LED was way overkill...couple that with the router, modem, keyboard dongle and phone charges all on my desk....it gets to be a bit much.

You're correct...Electric tape is your friend.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

Mine has a black bezel as well but it is noticeable when up close.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to Koil

said by Koil:

I feel your frustration, but a lot of times, especially with kids, they would leave our old TV on, but would have it set to a digital input or something that was off or not playing anything, so had a black screen. Casually going by you'd think it was off, so I've kinda trained myself to look for this....so it does help some folks.

My kids will leave the TV on by accident all the time but turn off the gaming system or STB so the screen is just black. Thankfully my TV has an auto-off feature. If it isn't receiving a signal for 30 minutes it turns off automatically.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

said by thegeek:

said by Koil:

I feel your frustration, but a lot of times, especially with kids, they would leave our old TV on, but would have it set to a digital input or something that was off or not playing anything, so had a black screen. Casually going by you'd think it was off, so I've kinda trained myself to look for this....so it does help some folks.

My kids will leave the TV on by accident all the time but turn off the gaming system or STB so the screen is just black. Thankfully my TV has an auto-off feature. If it isn't receiving a signal for 30 minutes it turns off automatically.

Kids...can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.
--

My Blog - Raising Connor